3g Alt upgrade with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g Alt upgrade with pics

I replaced my fire hazard alternator recently with a 3g setup. I got my alternator out of a junked 95 Taurus wagon with the 3.8, and it worked perfectly. I had read that some people here had to swap out the pulleys on the alternators, but I didn't have that issue. The original pulley was about an inch smaller than the 3g one, but it'll still fit on there just fine. There's only one wire you need to change.

On the plug with the two fat black charge wires, there's also a white wire with a black stripe. That's the one wire that needs to be changed. The other plug with the green wire, the white/yellow wire, and the white/black wire plugs directly into the new alternator.

This is what the new alternator looks like. The white/black wire that was cut off of the charge wire plug on the old alternator gets plugged into the single wire connector in the middle of the picture. If you get your alternator from a j/y, like I did, I would recommend grabbing the pigtail for that wire as well, that way you don't have to hack any sort of connector, like I did.

The next step is to run a big fat cable from the stud on the back of the alternator to the + terminal of the battery. I purchased a 4AWG battery cable and cut the ends off. I used some cable lugs that were the appropriate gauge and the right size hole for the stud instead.

You also need to put a fuse or circuit breaker in line with the alternator charge wire. I chose a 175 amp fuse; other people have chosen different ratings.

For now, I hooked the new charge wire to the starter relay, where the old one was hooked up. When I do a wire tuck later, all of this will change, but since I only had the two cable lugs, I wanted to put the fuse at one end of the cable.

The finished connections. The 3-wire plug is hiding underneath the alternator.

The final result:

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I took these pictures with some sort of tutorial in mind. Perhaps this could be stickied?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Definitly good stuff here! we need more write-ups like this.
    A stickie for every electromod would become a bit much, but if you'd like to make this a tech article submission it will definitly get archived, and I could use your pics and info in the 3G upgrade webpage if you like.

Interesting use of the fuse too... looks kinda odd at first but if it works it works!
    Using it that way would probably work pretty good with mine the way the alt is wired to the fusebox...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Looks good, you'll definitely be satisfied with the upgrade and I'm glad more members are doing it since it's actually very simple to do. It puts a smile on my face to not see the lights flickering all the time. I think a solid tech article would be a great addition to the main page and certainly help others out with the upgrade. I have some fairly decent shots of my 3g as well if any are needed.
      Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 05-19-2008, 12:29 AM.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
        Definitly good stuff here! we need more write-ups like this.
        A stickie for every electromod would become a bit much, but if you'd like to make this a tech article submission it will definitly get archived, and I could use your pics and info in the 3G upgrade webpage if you like.

Interesting use of the fuse too... looks kinda odd at first but if it works it works!
        Using it that way would probably work pretty good with mine the way the alt is wired to the fusebox...
        Do I just tell you I'd like to make this a submission and you have my permission to do whatever you want with the pictures, or do I need to repost the post in the tech submission board?
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

either way works... I'll take that as a yes
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

What wires did you take from the taraus to make this work?
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

thats nice the only thing i would say is when we did mine we ran the power cable over the timing cover and under the A/C pump it makes it look beter. but mines carbed and i don't know if you can do that
              ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
              ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

in the first pic of this post you can only kinda see it over the timing chain cover. i wish i would have used that kind of fuse instead of my nice amp one
                http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23959
                ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

very nice thread. I will be using this info for my install.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X