Which sway bars fit which Panthers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which sway bars fit which Panthers?

I have the opportunity to pick up between 10 and 12 PI sway bars ranging from 1990 to 2004. Which fronts/rears from which vehicles fit which vehicles?

I can't answer your Question but if you pick them up I'll be in the market for a new rear for my P72 if you have a spare.
    Resident diesel addict

Comment

the 90-91 fit all boxes, and the newer ones will fit boxes with upgraded brakes. Not sure about the breakdown of years though.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

So the rears from a 92-up PI won't fit the earlier boxes?

Comment

Don't think so, the rears mount completley different. I forgot to mention that the newer FRONT bars are the only swappable ones with upgraded brakes. Rears are completley different.

Comment

Johnny iroc mounted a newer rear sway bar to an older rear end, by using some 3" muffler clamps as mounts for the bushings on the axle
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Yeah, but I wouldn't trust a muffler clamp with the amount of force that's applied to the bars.

Comment

What about TWO muffler clamps?

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a newer style. It sucks that addco doesn't make an aftermarket box style rear bar but it is what it is. I need to compare addcos GM B body offerings tho and see if that would fit. I toyed around with an addco up front on my vic and p72 rear bar but it would be mis matched so Im just lookin for p72 front and rear bars.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

A high grade U bolt would work, or just make the brackets from some decent steel. The newer style rear bar is a much more efficient design.

Comment

Wait wait wait, how does the newer one mount? It's mounted to the frame, and what else? The axle tubes?

When did the newer design start?

I may be purchasing a complete rear end off one of these cars. Would it be possible to buy one that has the newer design and swap it into my '88 Townie, and thus not have to make any modifications (besides having to possibly drill/tap some new holes in the frame) in order to mount it? Or did the newer design come about too late?
                      Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

i want one
                        sigpic
                        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

1992 on the Vic, 1990 or 91 I believe on the towncar got the newer style sway bar. They have a bushing on the axle tube much like the front sway bar. They also have end links like the front suspension, but they attach to the frame.

you can swap the whole axle assembly in if you want. The control arms mount up the same. You'll need to do a little work with the brake lines, but its not a big deal. Probably not a big issue to drill the holes for the endlinks either, though to be honest i've never looked that close at where they go on an aero. The aero axle overall is about 1/2" wider than the box axle. Its not a big deal unless you're running really fat tires tho, then you may have some wheel well clearance problems. Also keep in mind what year the rear is from when you order parts for the rear. The axle shafts are different from a box to an aero, other stuff is probably the same but you never know.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

92-94 front bars only work with 92-94 spindles....ask me how i know

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              1992 on the Vic, 1990 or 91 I believe on the towncar got the newer style sway bar. They have a bushing on the axle tube much like the front sway bar. They also have end links like the front suspension, but they attach to the frame.

you can swap the whole axle assembly in if you want. The control arms mount up the same. You'll need to do a little work with the brake lines, but its not a big deal. Probably not a big issue to drill the holes for the endlinks either, though to be honest i've never looked that close at where they go on an aero. The aero axle overall is about 1/2" wider than the box axle. Its not a big deal unless you're running really fat tires tho, then you may have some wheel well clearance problems. Also keep in mind what year the rear is from when you order parts for the rear. The axle shafts are different from a box to an aero, other stuff is probably the same but you never know.
                              Actually, I was looking at the car today while hanging out with P72Ford and FastGallopingPonies, and realized that while I have 255's on the rear (and thus ZERO room for a wider rear end), I could overcome that 1/2" difference by swapping my 1" spacers out for 1/2" ones, and balance it out just fine.

I need to call up the junkyard and see if they have any K-code aero rears available. I'll snatch that mother up in an instant... as soon as I can find someone with a truck to haul it home.

Comment

Working...
                              X