Barge-body chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barge-body chassis

Did Ford have a particular name for it??
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Normal?
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

'79-present is "Panther"...so I figured there might be a fancy name for the '78 and older.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Depends what barge you're talking about. the late 70s LTD II was the Torino chassis, though it may have some other internal name. Lincolns used something different, basically a bigger version of the Torino
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

simply the full size ford chassis......71-79 iirc i think the 70 and older full size cars were unit body

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, the 60's Continentals were uni-body.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
              Yeah, the 60's Continentals were uni-body.
              Weard. Thats sorta advanced if you think about it
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I have a calendar profile of a '64 Continental convertible on my bedroom wall.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Unibody construction isn't that new of an idea. Wikipedia says 1923 was the first use, and the Chrysler Airflow used it in 1934. A lot of "new" ideas aren't new at all, but rather a re-hash of an old idea with newer technology.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Unibody construction isn't that new of an idea. Wikipedia says 1923 was the first use, and the Chrysler Airflow used it in 1934. A lot of "new" ideas aren't new at all, but rather a re-hash of an old idea with newer technology.
                    Just like many think front wheel drive is a relatively new idea, but Cord was using it in the 1930's.

The 60's Continentals being unitbody is the reason that the doors start to get tougher to close depending on how the car was used. There's not enough support in the B-pillar area which makes the body begin to sag, and then the suicide doors no longer close or open properly.

Comment

I saw a barge-body Merc being towed away via flatbed a couple days ago. It was light green and looked as though it had been in storage for awhile. If I was on foot, I would have gone to have a closer look...
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter View Post
                        Weard. Thats sorta advanced if you think about it
                        so were Falcons, and every single mustang ever made....
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Any barge owners here??
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If a huge car is a barge, what's a compact? A canoe?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I'd think it would be more like a rowboat, myself. :p

-Rob
                              1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
                              Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
                              Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

Working...
                              X