No announcement yet.

1954 Ford F100/F250 4x4 Tow Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at an after market speedometer from auto meter, how does the one you have get a signal? I'm debating between electric or mechanical.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
      Yeah, the diameter's what I'm talking about. It makes it look like a low-rider.
      This steering wheel is an 11.5". Once I get the seats mounted I'm going to see what kind of room I'll be working with. Then I'll see what size I can go with. It will be somewhere between 13.5"-15".

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
      I'm looking at an after market speedometer from auto meter, how does the one you have get a signal? I'm debating between electric or mechanical.
      The one I've got is a programmable electrical speedometer. I went with this one because it's programmable. Autometer sells the speed sensor that goes in place of the stock speedometer cable. But I'm going to run mine off the factory abs speed sensor in my 10.25" rear diff that I'm swapping in.

Comment

I always liked the masssive stock wheels those trucks came with. I remember the one on our 66 was of good size. No power steering on that one, so the big wheel wasn't just for looks.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They make adapters for the wheels to go to the 3 bolt style mount. I have a grant GT that is adapted for my wagon like that. It's currently on my Pole Position arcade game..

If you ever want to get rid of that wheel cheap I'd be interested... It'd make a good replacement for pole position.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I always liked the masssive stock wheels those trucks came with. I remember the one on our 66 was of good size. No power steering on that one, so the big wheel wasn't just for looks.
            The problem is the stock wheels are too big ( 18" or more ) . And that's too big to clear my big gut! With the aftermarket gauges I thought an aftermarket wheel like they had in the 60's would be cool in the truck. I just have to find the right one to work with my setup and still be able to read all the gauges.

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            They make adapters for the wheels to go to the 3 bolt style mount. I have a grant GT that is adapted for my wagon like that. It's currently on my Pole Position arcade game..

If you ever want to get rid of that wheel cheap I'd be interested... It'd make a good replacement for pole position.
            The only problem with those Grant GT wheels is they look too modern for this truck.

Funny you should mention the Pole Position arcade game. That was what drew me to this wheel in the first place. It reminded me of the many hours I spent as a kid playing all those racing arcade games.

I'd be willing to sell this one as soon as I pick up a replacement.

Comment

Today I had a couple hours to kill so I decided to do a little work on the 54 cab.

I pulled out the templates I made for the floors last spring. I dug out a sheet of 14 gauge steel floor plate ( aka diamond plate ) . Then I traced out the driver side floor. I pulled out the jigsaw and made a couple cuts. Tried it out then marked out the bend. Then I clamped the metal down to the front crossbar on one of my trailers and bent the floor by hand.

Then I did another test fit. It's pretty close. I still need to do a little more trimming, then I can weld it in. I'm going to try and get it welded in tomorrow. It felt good doing some work on this again!

In the first picture you can see the marks on the floor. They show how wide the firewall recess is going to be. I'm going to have to mount the gas pedal on the firewall recess.

Comment

Today I did a little more test fitting on the main floor pan. Then I did a little more trimming.

Next I pulled out more of the templates for some of the other panels. I pulled out a 2'x3' sheet of 16 gauge diamond plate steel. I laid out the templates for the rear drop down panel, DS transmission tunnel drop down panel and the driver side firewall recess.

Next I cut out the rear drop down panel. Then I started cutting out the transmission tunnel panel. I got it about 80% cut out and then noticed I somehow managed to flip the template when I marked it out. :nonono: This wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't using diamond plate. So I pulled out another 2'x3' sheet of 16 gauge diamond plate and marked out another one. This time I made sure the template was right side up.

After I finished with my little screw up I cut out the panel for the firewall recess. Then I grabbed a piece of 2"x2" steel tub and clamped the recess panel down onto my trailer front crossbar. I started to bend the panel by hand, then moved on to my dead blow hammer and finally a 3 pound hammer. It's not perfect but it's good enough for me.

The next step was to do more test fitting. I couldn't get the firewall recess panel completely in place because some of the old firewall and recess was in the way. Besides that it looked like everything was going to fit.

I pulled the main floor pan back out to do the final trimming. I started the first cut with my hand jigsaw. And wouldn't you know it the damn gears went out! Since the jigsaw is what I've been using to cut out all the panels now I'm screwed. Time for a new jig saw.

Tomorrow I'm going to do the rest of the cutting with a grinder with a cut off wheel. I'm going to cut out old firewall and recess that are still in the way. Then hopefully I can finally get this stuff welded in!!:cutit::welder::welder::welder::welder:

Well here's today's pictures. You can see the recess is turned slightly. Once I get the old stuff cut out of the way it will fit like it should. But it's staring to look like it's coming together.

This picture shows what the recess panel is getting hung up on.

Last edited by Fordman75; 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I like it.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    I like it.
                    Thanks!

Today I started by cutting out more of the original firewall, my old firewall recess and the hood hinge mounting area.

Then I made a template of the driver side kick panel plate so I'll be able to match it on the passenger side.

Then I pulled out the driver side floor and finished all the trimming with a grinder with a cut off wheel.

Then I started tacking it in place. Once it was tacked in I did some more welding. I also started welding the rear drop down panel in. Man my welds look like crap! That's what I get for not welding in over a year. It's a good thing I've got 8 grinders! I may need them all to clean up these welds! I ran out of day light. So I had to call it quits for the day. Weather permitting I'm hoping to finish up the welding/grinding tomorrow.

Comment

Lookin' good, mang!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Looks good!
                          IMHO trucks should all come from the factory with thick steel floors...

Out of curiosity, why the narrow footwell? Is the engine sitting that far back?
                          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                          Open/Lock/Ratio #
                          -----------------------
                          G / H / 2.26
                          B / C / 2.47
                          8 / M / 2.73
                          7 / - / 3.07
                          Y / Z / 3.08
                          4 / D / 3.42
                          F / R / 3.45
                          5 / E / 3.27
                          6 / W / 3.73
                          2 / K / 3.55
                          A / - / 3.63
                          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                            Looks good!
                            IMHO trucks should all come from the factory with thick steel floors...

Out of curiosity, why the narrow footwell? Is the engine sitting that far back?

I was hoping that going with 14 gauge diamond plate for the floor would save me from having to make up substructure to support it. But it still flexs enough I am considering adding some more structure under the floor.

Yea that is the biggest problem with mounting the 54 cab on the 84 chassis. The engine is set way too far back.

Comment

Today I got the other two panels welded in. My welds are slowly getting a little better. Still some ugly welds! I still need to do a lot of work to clean up my ugly welds. I just ran out of time today. It started raining.

The flat vertical panel on the firewall recess is where I'm going to be mounting my hanging gas pedal.

I left the floor toe board section a little long just so I made sure I had enough material when I install the firewall next spring.

The part of my transmission tunnel panel that is sticking up above the existing transmission tunnel piece is going to be trimmed down so it's flush with the top of the tunnel. And I'm not to thrilled with the section that extends up to the point. I think I'm going to cut that point off and just add a horizontal strip across the top front of the tunnel. I figure it out once I get the passenger side in. next spring.

Last edited by Fordman75; 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Nice. I really wish I had those fabrication skills.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X