X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black ftmfw.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I'm still not completely sure which color to go with. If I go with black I'm going to add either flames or scallops that will be that color blue. But I'm leaning more towards the blue.

The big brown truck stopped by today and dropped off a couple items I ordered from Summit Racing. :evil: I got a Hedman dual outlet full length header and an Offenhauser C-Series 4V intake manifold.

I bought 4V Carter AVS carb ( Same as the Edelbrock thunder series ) from a friend a while back. He gave me a great deal on the carb. It originally came on a 68 or 69 Dodge Superbee with a 383. I think it will be right at home on top of the Off'y intake on the 300.

I still need to pick up the Comp Cams 268H K-kit and some hardware then the motor will be ready to be gone thru. And the parts I'm installing on/in the 300 along with a little head porting should wake up the 300 enough to handle all my power needs ( for now :evil: ) .

I also found a guy that had the correct motor mount frame brackets to swap in the 300. I should get them within the next couple of days. So I will be dropping in the 300 with the intake and headers so I can layout the firewall.

Comment

Isn't the AVS a spreadbore carb?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
          Isn't the AVS a spreadbore carb?

Nope, it has slightly larger secondaries but it has a square bore bolt pattern. It's pretty much the same as a Carter AFB except the secondary air flapper/valve is adjustable with a screw. No messing with changing springs or modifying the counter weights to adjust it. This carb is what the Edelbrock Thunder series carbs are based on.

Mine needs to be cleaned up and rebuilt but I got it cheap enough so I can't complain. And I also got a 13" chrome Ford Motorsports aircleaner from the same friend.

Comment

Ah, right, okay. Guess I was thinking Thermoquad for some reason. Those parts are sexy, btw.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Paint it blue!!
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

turn the carb sideways man, look at the vertical divider plane in the intake - secondaries go towards the engine, primaries on the outside

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                  turn the carb sideways man, look at the vertical divider plane in the intake - secondaries go towards the engine, primaries on the outside

Nope the carb mounts just the way I've got it ( Doesn't fit the other way ) . That's the way it's suppose to mount on the C-series. The divider is to help even out the air-fuel mixture some.

Their Dual port 300 intake you need to mount the carb sideways. They have completely divider primary/secondary ports.

Comment

Oh, right, you did say this is a C-series, I just saw the divired and automatically switched to dual-port mode. So why this intake, and not the dual-port? More power and torque up higher?

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                      Oh, right, you did say this is a C-series, I just saw the divired and automatically switched to dual-port mode. So why this intake, and not the dual-port? More power and torque up higher?

The dual-port is more for low end torque. The 300 doesn't need any help on the low end. Especially with my trucks 4.10 gears and grany low 1st gear. Plus I'll have the transfercase's low range if I really need it.

Where the 300 needs the power increase is in the mid and top end power. Especially for the towing I do. I need the power for the highway driving. The C-series intake, 625cfm carb, Comp cam, header and the head porting should do that.

Comment

I finally started to work on the 54. Didn't get much done but I got the bracing welded in the cab. Tomorrow I'm going to dig out my plasma cutter and remove the entire floor. A diagonal or X brace would have been a better bracing layout but this set up gives me more room to work on the floors.

Last edited by Fordman75; 10-02-2008, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Today I started by lifting the cab and slid some 2"x2" steel tubes under the rockers to get the floor off the frame rails.

Here's a pic of the floor before I started to cut.

I dug out my little Hobart plasma cutter and started cutting. Here's a couple pics of the driverside floor cut out.

And here's the entire floor cut out. Sorry the pics are a little dark ( it was getting dark outside ) .

Comment

Well here's today update.

I made up a cardboard template for the floor. Then I started to cut down the 78 floor. I wasn't sure how high I wanted the floor to sit in the cab at first. So after a little more trial and error, some measureing and some 2"x2" tubing I got the rear floor to sit where I want it. I am going to have to fabricate a crossmember to help support it. I'm going to do some more trimming on the 78 floor. I'm going to weld in some diamond tread steel to tie the rear floor section into the cab.

This weekend I need to dig the 1/8" steel plate I've got. I need to cut them to size and weld them to the inner rockers. Once I have that done I can start fabricating the rear floor crossmember. Then I can start to weld in the rear floor.

Comment

So the idea, here, is to weld the floor from the '78 cab into the '54 cab?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                                So the idea, here, is to weld the floor from the '78 cab into the '54 cab?
                                Yep the 54 cab has a flat floor and crappy dog bone rear cab mounts ( tend to cause a cab to lean ). I needed the transmission tunnel and raised seat platform area to clear the transmission and transfercase. And by using the 78 cab floor I also get the standard style rear cab mounts.

Comment

Working...
                                X