New Power Steering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Power Steering...

Last week Wednesday, I saw fluid under the car and the power steering fluid was a bit low. I thought it was probably just a loose fitting from when the power steering pump was replaced at the end of April. After a little bit of hunting, the source of the leak turns out to be the power steering gearbox. The gasket around the gear that connects to the Pitman Arm was leaking like crazy. My mechanic was busy until Tuesday (yesterday), so I let the car sit in the driveway over the weekend.

Thankfully I found a remanufactured gearbox for cheaper than my mechanic would have charged (he gets all his parts from NAPA, CarQuest had it $40 cheaper). That's the good news. The bad news is that the rag joint (where the steering column connects to the gearbox) is separating, and now that needs to be replaced!

So now for this job I'm already up to $140 in parts... So figure about $50 more for the rag joint, $100 labor... $290 for this job. Plus the pump, thats $530 that I've put into the car since I bought it in January... And I only paid $700 for it!

At first, I was mad at my car for breaking. But I can't stay mad at my car for more than a few seconds. I love it too much to be mad at it. A few hundred bucks is pennies compared to the satisfaction I get out of driving my Merc!

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis
    5.0L V8

Performance Mod Status: Planning Phase
    Interior Mod Status: Planning Phase

you gotta expect these problems with a car that is quickly approaching 20 yrs old. if this were some other car (cough cough ford windstar/taurus/sable/continental) the steering gear would have been replaced at least twice already..............shame you already got the reman steering box, the 98-02 police cars have a steering box with a quicker ratio
    anyway hang in there, and remember that you are still ahead of the game.......you could have spent thousands more on a used car
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The 98-02 PI gearbox fits right in? Hmmm... If I ever find one at junkyard I might grab it.

But it's true that even for the ~$1230 I've spent total on the car + repairs, I still wouldn't be able to find a car with 60,000 miles on it in better shape than mine.

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis
      5.0L V8

Performance Mod Status: Planning Phase
      Interior Mod Status: Planning Phase

Comment

shifty's power steering was fuckin up before she went off the road, so i'll just throw in a new pump and a pi steering box
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Let me know how that PI swap goes. I'm gonna need a new box before too long here and I'd like to do the swap if it fits. Read somewhere that the input shafts are different, but no mention of if one could make a bastard coupler with half of the original U joint and half of a new one. I'm half tempted to yank one in a junkyard and test fit it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X