No announcement yet.

My 87 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just took the upper intake off the 87 last night. Had to replace some dry rotted/split vacuum lines as well as wanted to have an easy reach to the PCV Job is EASY - so if your dude didn't know what he was doing, that's pretty pathetic to be called a mechanic.

There is 1 vacuum line that goes from under the middle of the upper intake towards the AC compressor area (only 1 line goes this way). This vacuum line connects to the EVAP Purge Valve Solenoid.

Otherwise, going out from middle of the upper intake towards the rear of the car starts at the intake with a 1 inch long piece of line, then a plastic L, then a really long preformed vacuum line that goes into the PCV valve.

There's another vacuum line that runs from about the same spot underneath the upper intake and runs to the MAP.

There are three connections that sprout out like a tree on the side of the upper intake facing the firewall/wipers/cowling. There is 1 bigger vacuum line that appears to run into the firewall somewhere. Two remaining vacuum lines. 1 2-3" long vacuum line runs from the fuel pressure regulator over to this tree. The other vacuum line connects to the other end (which IIRC runs to the EGR valve).

Hope this helps out.
    Last edited by TecNickal; 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yea i know about the pcv valve line i put that on. i cant remember the other line placements though. it was a while since i took it apart. gotta hit the junk yard tomorrow for parts so its not too much of a consirn ill see and remember how it was run on the only car in the yard.
      2018 F150 XLT 43k
      1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
        I've seen alot of 30+ year old cars thats dash and vinyl tops have only ever seen armor all, and there 100% perfect. I guess I'll never understand why people bad mouth it so much. I personally don't use it because it's awful oily and tends to leave run marks in the paint if you use it on your vinyl top. I use turtle wax leather conditioner on my seats, and there vinyl cleaner protector on everything else. I've also got another leather conditioner, and a vinyl conditioner, but can't remember what brand they are.
        The reason you see those ArmorAll cars surviving is because no one has ever stopped treating them with ArmorAll. From what I understand, if you let it go 6 months to a year without the ArmorAll treatment, the dash or vinyl top or what have you will explode into 50 billion pieces. But when you get to the second or third owner of a car, the anti-explodey ArmorAll treatment usually stops.

Think of ArmorAll as a drug or a poison that actively disintegrates your car parts without continual use . BAD BAD BAD.
        Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Took some video of the new exhaust today after i got it back home. Just got the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets replaced while it was at my buddys shop. Still have a vacuum leak i cant remember where the hose goes to or it would be fixed. Heres the first video with the pull outs in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJX_L-qKnrs Heres the 2nd video with the pull outs out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwO7mwkoBs The mufflers are FlowTech Warlock Bypass Racing mufflers i got from summit.
          2018 F150 XLT 43k
          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Is that a paper air filter with a k&n sticker on the airbox? Lol.........sounds good though.........raspier than i thought it would be thru the cutouts.......
            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

I started gathering parts for the car the other day. Have new lower ball joints, changed the map sensor, bought a fuel pressure regulator and ordered the upper ball joints in. Will be doing the front springs, changing all 4 shocks to KYB's, changing the timing set, and possibly changing the fuel pump since its loud and the car seems to cut out when you give it a little gas and let off then it comes back. Have to get it ready to return to the road this year. Dont need to break down anytime im away from home.
              2018 F150 XLT 43k
              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Should be a big improvement with the shocks and ball joints.

Change your fuel filter too, that could be part of the issue.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Changed that less then 100 miles ago around 2 years ago and it did it before that was changed.
                  2018 F150 XLT 43k
                  1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

The Map sensors rarely fail. Throttle Position Sensor ever been changed, they can get dead spots in them and can cause all sorts of wackiness.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Changed that like 60 miles ago around early or late 2012 to early 2013.
                      2018 F150 XLT 43k
                      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Got bored and picked up a new egr valve for the car. In the process of installing it.
                        2018 F150 XLT 43k
                        1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

So i havent updated for a little while. Ordered in and installed ford racing wires, installed a new fender solenoid, installed a new ignition switch, have to fix the vacuum lines, need to replace the fuel pump, and made a cold air intake with a filter someone threw out at work and the intake tube from the 99 i had. Small filter but will work for now till i buy a bigger one.
                          2018 F150 XLT 43k
                          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

So the car is back on the road again. Feels good to drive it again. Ended up changing the alternator out today after the bearing went but it still functioned. The new one went in fine but it needs a new power steering bracket asap. If i would have found one a while ago i would have changed it out but there hasnt been any cars in the yards lately and have been hard to find parts for when i need them.
                            2018 F150 XLT 43k
                            1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Engine light was on tonight for the first time ever since i bought the car and it would come on RED and go off, come on and go off every so often. Its full of oil and coolant so i dont know what its issue is and it runs fine but is weak on power compared to when i first got it. Guessing because i never got a chance to change out the timing set that could be the issue.
                              2018 F150 XLT 43k
                              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

this is why I put gauges in mine. I like to know temps and pressures. Seeing the red light of death doesn't help much. If the temps are fine and the pressure is fine, then it would be a sensor issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X