No announcement yet.

Upgrading to dual exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine was around $500 with stainless Magnaflow mufflers, and stainless 3.5" tips included...

Make sure you post pics and sound clips when it's done!

Comment

Find out what mufflers those are you do not want a chamberd style muffler..It robs power try to find a muffler with a straight through design
      R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
      Originally posted by MeanVic84
      Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

OK, thanks a lot - I'll definitely find that out because that would suck if those mufflers took some power!

Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it!
        check out my CarDomain page:
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124003

Comment

If you're just getting stock 2" exhaust, just go buy the parts you need at NAPA and install them yourself for free, or else take Chris's suggestion and see if your local 'yards have the H-pipe and stuff used. No point in paying labor if no custom work is involved that you can't do yourself.

Borla at one time offered a system for newer Vics, and 5.0 Mustang claims that in addition to being of excellent quality, their stuff usually fits better than their competitors. Not sure why they don't seem to be making Vic kits these days ....

But right, that Magnaflow kit PN 16788 should be extremely nice if it could be made to fit with minimum hassle .... it's a bit pricey at $700 plus shipping from Summit, but it's entirely stainless so it won't rot out, the 2.25" diameter is about ideal, and it may be the closest thing to a bolt-on performance exhaust you could install easily at home.

If you want custom-bent stuff that's not available off the shelf, that's where the exhaust shop has the edge because you're not stuck mail-ordering zillions of individual bends and welding them up at home or else doing like some of us do on Box-bodies and ordering a weird conglomeration of parts (can you say Mustang headers and H-pipe, S-10 midpipes, your choice of mufflers, and Impala SS tailpipes?) and doing some selected trimming to make it all fit.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I had a local shop do it on my '98. It was only about $180 to have the guy bend up a 2.5" straight pipe cat-back, including an x-pipe (he used the existing y-pipe and built into it, which really cut down on price versus a pre-fab h-or x-pipe which run about $150).
            If you want mufflers, a pair of mufflers could range anywhere from about $40-140. Had I gotten the flow-thru mufflers from him it would have been like $250 total.
            Do some checking locally, the guy I went to does great work and he doesn't break the bank.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I'll bet the 2.5" catback makes such a difference with the stock exhaust manifolds and 2" Y pipe still in place ..........

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                Go to the yard and get the duals from the cats back on a 98+ vic or marquis. You can put on performance mufflers to get the sound you want. This is a great upgrade that wont break the bank.
                this is what i did today, i got the pipes off of an 07 police interceptor. from cats and h-pipe to tips 1 piece hangers included, the yard wanted 100 for it since the car was near new, a-1 grade parts, 11000 miles on the odo. anyways fit perfectly, if you wanna go cheap this is the best route.

you will need to cut the tail pipes off of the mufflers with a pipe cutter otherwise you would need to remove the rear axle to put the exhaust on in one piece. too much work involved with that so i cut them. i did it all by myself with just ramps and a floor jack. i put a little more money into it by replacing the stock muffs with thrush glasspacks and two stainless 3 inch slanted resonator tips.

it is a little tricky to get the tailpipes in to where they should be since the axle is right there but with a little patience and some ingenuity it is possible, you may have to lift up on the car body with a floor jack to get more clearance from the suspension although i only needed to do this on the passenger side to get that pipe in there. all you need to do is cut the tailpipe off of the muffler on your car, unbolt the four bolts holding the y-pipe and unhook the rubber hanger on the side of your old muffler and remove your old tailpipe and then everything else bolts right back up.

parts list is as follows,

07 p71 cat back: $100 junk yard.
                two thrush 27" overall length 2 1/4" in and out glasspacks: $40 advance auto.
                four 2 1/8" clamps: $12 advance auto
                oreillys rent a tool exhaust pipe cutter: $42 deposit, you get this back as long as you don't break it.
                total price $152

if you stay stock the only things you will need will be two 2 1/4" to 2 1/4" splices, which are about 6 bux for both of them. and four of the 2 1/8" muffler clamps.

tips are optional, the tips i got were pilot motorsports stainless steel slant tips i bought from wally world. i had to cut off about 3" off of the stock turndowns to get them to fit the way i wanted them so they wouldn't look ricey.

two pilot round slant resonated stainless tips: $24 wally world
                two more 2 1/8" clamps: $6 advance auto
                two 2 1/4" ID to 2 1/2" ID reducers to help the tips fit better on the puny azzed tailpipes: $6 advance auto.

so the total for my setup is around $188. still well below the $500 bones the local muffler shop wanted. and it only took a few hours and 2 beers to do it. sounds about like what a mustang gt sounds like and the seat o' the pants meter definitely approves. i like it and for all the money i saved i'm very happy.
                sigpic2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                07 P71 dual exhaust h pipe cat back with 24" glass packs Pioneer DEH-P6000UB HU Infinity 2 way 6x8's, Oz Audio 5x7 2 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211a and Alpine type R 12"
                1999 vw bug work beater

Comment

That's the first time I heard of a yard selling Catalytic Converters

Comment

they didn't sell them they gave them to me. they charged me just for the pipe. i didn't use them anyways.
                    07 P71 dual exhaust h pipe cat back with 24" glass packs Pioneer DEH-P6000UB HU Infinity 2 way 6x8's, Oz Audio 5x7 2 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211a and Alpine type R 12"
                    1999 vw bug work beater

Comment

Originally posted by RedThunder94 View Post
                      they didn't sell them they gave them to me. they charged me just for the pipe. i didn't use them anyways.
                      Oh. Did you scrap them?
                      Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      I'll bet the 2.5" catback makes such a difference with the stock exhaust manifolds and 2" Y pipe still in place ..........
                      wait what?

Comment

Well, logically the restriction on a Panther exhaust is primarily up front, and if you're running a stock 2" Y pipe that's just all the more restriction. Running 2.5" duals after a stock Y pipe should in theory be no more efficient, and possibly less efficient, than just cutting the exhaust off in front of the muffler. Only reason I could see doing that is as an intermediate step if an over-250hp motor with headers is planned in the foreseeable future.

Comment

no haven't scrapped them yet.
                          1999 vw bug work beater

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            Well, logically the restriction on a Panther exhaust is primarily up front, and if you're running a stock 2" Y pipe that's just all the more restriction. Running 2.5" duals after a stock Y pipe should in theory be no more efficient, and possibly less efficient, than just cutting the exhaust off in front of the muffler. Only reason I could see doing that is as an intermediate step if an over-250hp motor with headers is planned in the foreseeable future.
                            I looked at it the other day while I had it up on a lift doing an oil change, and I was wrong, it is a 2.5" custom made x-pipe. The exhaust guy had talked about possibly turning the y-pipe into an x-pipe...but he didn't.
                            I understand what you are saying, but no I wouldn't have gone from a y-pipe to dual tailpipes, that would have been pointless.
                            It's true duals. I basically had the guy build me a HPP exhaust. I did notice a little more tug. I did it mainly for sound right now, but also to support doing some future mods when I have more $$.
                            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

no mean to threadjack, but since we're on the topic of exhausts....
                              straight to the point.
                              my buddy has a stock h-pipe from a 93 cobra in pristine condition.
                              1. will it fit decently ( i plan on having to fanagel it a little)
                              2. how much should i offer him?
                              thanks.

are glasspacks louder than mufflers?
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

3) depends heavily on what mufflers you're using for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                X