Tripminder install for 1989 vic's and grand marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder install for 1989 vic's and grand marquis

Well I finally got my tripminder working. First let me say that 81-88 harness will not work with a 89 unless you modify it. 89 They changed the harness where the speed senor ,fuel flow ,dimmer and ground are one connector vs two seprete ones. for 89's you will need to buy the wpt-376 connector at motorcraft if you can still find it. also 89 will have the connector for the fuel, speed sensor all ready there so you do not have to add the pin 34 to the ecm harness I believe you have to do that to a cfi car. The connector is below the auto lamp sensor. The 89 haness has 3 connectors vs 81-88 that has 4 connectors.
    What I did was I cut the plug off my 88 harness where the fuel,speed,ground connector are and I cut the small plug for the dimmer. Then made that into one connector. Then just plug and play for the rest of the harness. God it's so nice to have a tripminder. I was luck to find the old wring diagrams at my dealer they were on the shelf collecting dust. special thanks to 89mercury who first brought this up. and to pete 85crownhpp for helping me grab my tripminder and harness form that 88 country squire at ez pull thanks mang even though it was a pain in the ass lol. here is a link to my photo bucket.
    http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ug22nd%202008/

pic of the 89 tripminder wiring harness digram from ford dealer shop manual

My completed tripminder harness with the new wpt-376 connector

you can see the connector hidden under the autolamp sensor like 89mercury said
    Last edited by gabegt90; 08-23-2008, 03:07 AM.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Glad to hear mang. I told you it wouldn't be too hard.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

wow I didnt know the 89 harness was so different... good info Gabe!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
      X