No announcement yet.

300 CI / 4.9 / Inline-6 in a panther???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been done in fig. 8 and demo race tracks . I saw a guy do it in a 86 Crown Vic. But he had to cut the fire wall and the hood, and there was nothing inside the car but a seat and a roll bar. He had the eng. and auto trans. out of a F250. He told me that the big 6 could pull trees out of the ground.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

If that seems like too much work, maybe it'd be easier to fit a built 250 ("small block" Ford I6 as opposed to the 240/300 being the "big block") under there? They're not bad little motors, especially if you build them up a bit... which believe it or not there is a small market for: (www.classicinlines.com)

Comment

unrelated posts trashed. Please keep this on topic. Any flaming needs to be done in the appropriate place, not in tech threads.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It will fit with hood mods. Need to stretch the firewall and mount an electric fan outside the radiator. I measured.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

IIRC there were a few fox body ltd's that came with a straight six in it. (I looked at one once, and it looked stock)
            I'll bet the oil pan at least would be right. The engine compartment in a fox body is similar in size to a panther, except for the height isn't it?
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

Nevermind... It was the 3.3L It seems that there is a bit of an aftermarket for it though...
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

Oil pan you'd need is from like a 67 f series 4wd or some shit. Can't remember offhand.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I've been thinking about doing the same as a fun project in the future. The big sixes are awesome and have lots of potential. And since this post has rekindled the thought, let's see if any of these myths are true...

Oh yea, didn't any of you notice that I do have both engines in my stable.

Myth #1 - That engine is too tall. It'll never work without cutting a hole in the hood and having it stick out 3 feet. Well, let's take a look at the picture...

Well, I'll be damned. They both happen to be the same height as measured from the engine mounts.

Myth #2 - It'll never work with the radiator. Yea, that got debunked also. As measured from the front of the motor mount to the front of the engine, both are pretty close the same distance.

Myth #3 - Need to stretch the firewall. This one is most likely true. As measured from the front of the engine mount, the inline 6 is about 4 inches longer than the V-8. Maybe with a little creative work with the engine mounts, it could be shoe-horned into the space between the radiator and the firewall. 82LTDQS seems to be a crafty feller. Compared to what he's done so far with his car, this engine swap would be a cake walk for him.

Myth #4 - The 300 has great torque, but not so much on speed. Well yea, it has truck granny gears, truck granny rear end, and a truck cam. Of course it's going to be slow. (but it WILL pull out that tree stump) Toss in a street cam, hook it up to a regular car tranny and rear end, and that inline mofo is going to fly like a bat outta hell. BMW based their whole lineup of cars on a 2.5-3.0 liter inline 6, and we all know what kind of performance they have. Just imagine what you could do with a 5 liter inline 6. In the early 80's, my boss had a basic cargo van with the inline 6 and regular gears, and that thing scooted like a scalded cat. It was loads of fun to drive.

I say go for it. It's a great engine. It has great potential. And it has a unique sound that would definately turn peoples heads. Oh, and the fact that it lasts forever is a big plus too.
                  1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                  1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                  1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                    I've been thinking about doing the same as a fun project in the future. The big sixes are awesome and have lots of potential. And since this post has rekindled the thought, let's see if any of these myths are true...

Myth #1 - That engine is too tall. It'll never work without cutting a hole in the hood and having it stick out 3 feet. Well, let's take a look at the picture...

Well, I'll be damned. They both happen to be the same height as measured from the engine mounts.

Myth #2 - It'll never work with the radiator. Yea, that got debunked also. As measured from the front of the motor mount to the front of the engine, both are pretty close the same distance.

Myth #3 - Need to stretch the firewall. This one is most likely true. As measured from the front of the engine mount, the inline 6 is about 4 inches longer than the V-8. Maybe with a little creative work with the engine mounts, it could be shoe-horned into the space between the radiator and the firewall. 82LTDQS seems to be a crafty feller. Compared to what he's done so far with his car, this engine swap would be a cake walk for him.

Myth #4 - The 300 has great torque, but not so much on speed. Well yea, it has truck granny gears, truck granny rear end, and a truck cam. Of course it's going to be slow. (but it WILL pull out that tree stump) Toss in a street cam, hook it up to a regular car tranny and rear end, and that inline mofo is going to fly like a bat outta hell. BMW based their whole lineup of cars on a 2.5-3.0 liter inline 6, and we all know what kind of performance they have. Just imagine what you could do with a 5 liter inline 6. In the early 80's, my boss had a basic cargo van with the inline 6 and regular gears, and that thing scooted like a scalded cat. It was loads of fun to drive.

I say go for it. It's a great engine. It has great potential. And it has a unique sound that would definately turn peoples heads. Oh, and the fact that it lasts forever is a big plus too.

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                    Engine is WAY too tall and long for the tiny slot available in there....unless you cut the crossmember, and lower it into the car that way....and you will still have radiator issues.
                    First of all....I didn't say that you had to cut the hood and have it stick out three feet.

However, the basic 300-6 long block is taller than a 302....and it is longer. With a mechanical fan setup and shroud, space is already a bit snug up front for a 302 as it is. Unless one intends on going with an electric fan....there more than likely will not be clearance up front to run something with a shroud up there. In addition, the stock aircleaner for a 300-6 is as compacted as short as possible...in a typical CV application, a decent aftermarket air cleaner may have a clearance problem with a CV hood, especially coupled with a Holley two-or-four barrel carb and an aftermarket intake, such as a Clifford.

First of all, I don't have a problem with 300-6 inline engines, or any inlines for that matter. I have one HP 300-6 build to my credit, and I loved how it turned out, when coupled with a 4-speed transmission in a 79 F150 belonging to a customer....it pulled like stink, everywhere, and was traction limited at anything over 1/4 throttle in 1st, and 3/4 throttle in 2nd. I am also hoping to someday work with the new Chevy/GMC inline 6 that came out in the Trailblazer, as it's built like a tank, and produces 270 easy HP right out of the box....it's sooo smooth, that GM had to install a starter-disable into the system when the engine was running; even the engineers were having problems with accidentally cranking it when it was already running. Somebody is using one on the 'fastest street car' circuit, and it's supposedly capable of running into the 7's with a huge turbo, with very little work, although I haven't found anything on the car in at least a year since it clicked off an 8-second run.

I also occasionally joke about building a turboed 300 with Tom....but nothing serious....I think the 300-6 should have been developed more, instead of being left to rot as a basic truck engine stand-by by Ford, as with a couple of mods (19-pound injectors on a EFI 300, for example, the stockers are turd 12-pound units, therefore the engine runs lean all of the time, the 19-pounders really wake the 300 up), it's better than any 302 in a truck, and is easier to work on.

Concering this particular engine swap...I would love to see someone do it here, and toss a modded inline of any type in one of these cars, as I think the header/exhaust room situation with these cars is idiotic...however, I don't think it is a practical swap unless some serious clearancing work is done...and an electric fan is being used.

Comment

I know this is not a panter but it's a ranger i think it's a 240 really jammed in there lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

That's no 240/300. That's a 144-250 block

144-250 CI

240/300

Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 09-05-2008, 11:23 PM.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post

This will only be accurate if you measure from the bottom of the oil pan to the tallest part of the engine. Measuring from engine mounts doesn't mean shit, since the 240/300 oil pan isn't recessed like a 302 pan is. In fact, the deepest part of the 240/300 pan is likely going to be right over the crossmember. The fact is the 240/300 IS taller than a 302, because of the pan. I'm gonna measure tomorrow, since I have both, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit I was wrong. But if I'm right, oh man, I can't even imagine. I'm salivating right now.
                          Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 09-06-2008, 02:38 AM.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Ya know, a VAN oilpan would work. I think they are double hump. Or a 4X4 truck pan.

Just to throw a wrench in the werks. And yes, i'd love to build a turbocharged EFI 300 that revs to 5500 rpm. It would sound fucking incredible, and run like no other!
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I humbly offer my apologies to Enigma.

Total height of 240 with carburetor and 2" air cleaner from pan to highest part of air cleaner is approx. 27 3/4" took that total height to GL from air cleaner down, looks like it will fit. To be safe I'd do what has been suggested from Tom about the van or 4X4 pan. Couldn't tell for sure from where I was, but the stock pan/2 wheel drive pan might be too close for comfort. I couldn't get the total height of GL's engine, not without bending the tape and throwing off the measurement.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Hey, i'm all about this project, don't mind me.

I am a hot rodder

To the OP: You got the double hump pan already?
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X