No announcement yet.

Oh dear The baconator is DOWN !!! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor oil, not antisieze. Antisieze is a nice way to fuck up the threads. Supposedly it eats the plug threads.

Comment

NO NO NO NO NO.

Anti-seize or ANY lubricant allows you to over torque the plug despite what your torque wrench reads. This puts undue stress on the aluminum block threads and leads to plug ejection.

Dry threads. No spit or oil or....Anything.

Comment

97, torque adequetely and a few lbs less if you use it. 13lbs what i was told.

Comment

Wrong.

Proper torque, No oil.

RTFM.

Comment

Good luck getting them out next time. If you are installing plugs on a motor with aluminum heads you must use anti sieze. The plugs will actually weld themselves to the head if you dont.

As for torquing the plugs just make them nice and snug NO KUNG FU GRIP!
            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
            Originally posted by MeanVic84
            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
              Good luck getting them out next time. If you are installing plugs on a motor with aluminum heads you must use anti sieze. The plugs will actually weld themselves to the head if you dont.

As for torquing the plugs just make them nice and snug NO KUNG FU GRIP!
              they came out just fine. I did them at 93 K when I got the 97 and just changed them over the summer at 16x,xxx So thats near or at 73,000 miles.

STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO DO THE WRONG THING. If you insist on doing dumbshit to your own car,Well thats ok..Its yours.Stop advising anyone else to do the same.

Comment

Woah no need to get mad..I have been told by ASE cerified mechanics to always use anti sieze when installing plugs into aluminum heads and thats what I have always did without any problems. Untill I read this...

CHANGING SPARK PLUGS

When changing spark plugs, wait until the engine has cooled to remove the plugs. This is very important with aluminum cylinder heads because it reduces the risk of damaging the threads in the cylinder heads when the plugs come out (aluminum is a much softer metal than cast iron).

MOST threads on spark plugs for engines with aluminum heads are either precoated to reduce the risk of thread damage, or the plug shell is made of a nickel alloy. If the plug shell is black or plain steel, however, you should put some antiseize to the threads, and reduce the applied torque by about 30 to 40%.

Do not use antiseize if the plug shell is nickel or has been precoated. Antiseize acts like a lubricant and may allow too much torque to be applied to the plugs, damaging the threads in the cylinder head.

Source:
                http://www.aa1car.com/library/sprkplg2.htm
                R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                Originally posted by MeanVic84
                Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                X