mass air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mass air

What was the frist year for mass air on grand marq and crown vic?

I wanna say '92, when they introduced the 4.6 engine, except for California cars. But I could be wrong; wait for lincolnmania or gadget or one of the other gurus to pipe up.

And, btw,

Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

The boxes never got it, except for some 90-91's that were California only.

And to GMN!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

What he said. Very rare 1991 California thing. 1992 it was standard, but thats a 4.6 engine.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And don't go searching for a mass-air car to modify based solely on the belief that it accepts modifications better... because it really doesn't on a box.

BTW, !
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome to GMN!
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

before that was air density, correct?

Comment

86-91 panthers were speed density except 91 california 5.0 cars

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

change to mass air

Can you convert these cars to mass air like you can a mustang? and is it worth the effort? I Have an 87 grand marquis now and really like the car but I live in michigan and the body is rusting away. So I would like to find one with a better body next year. The mustang is ok but I like these big boxes better. they just need more power and I know that there is only so much that you can do with speed density.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3147
                    as long as you use the ho or the explorer cam you do not need mass air

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Need to swap the ECM to a Mark VII one if you do an HO cam. The stock one isn't gonna do it. They do work fine though. And yes, you can do a mass air swap. You lose cruise control on 88+ models.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mightymarq View Post
                        Can you convert these cars to mass air like you can a mustang? and is it worth the effort? I Have an 87 grand marquis now and really like the car but I live in michigan and the body is rusting away. So I would like to find one with a better body next year. The mustang is ok but I like these big boxes better. they just need more power and I know that there is only so much that you can do with speed density.
                        The speed density mods are unlimited, depending on tuning. You can go quite far on SD, even without tuning. On the other side, even if you go mass air, you still need to spend big bucks on tuning.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yup thats right,looking on mustang forums alot of guys are running 12s with speed density and big cams (frpp x-cam). eec tuning is going to be the important part,and mass air is pretty straight forward(lot of conversion faqs),though im still looking for a good donor harness. try mark 7's and mustangs,or you can throw away 500 bucks for a conversion kit.
                          Last edited by ironstealth; 09-20-2008, 12:48 AM.
                          [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

MAF is far more "vacuum friendly"; meaning it's cam-friendly. SD will work very well as long as the cam pulls adequate vacuum.

Gadget's mention of the HO and Explorer cams is a good one. I ended up with an aftermarket piece when I did my H/C/I swap and the SD was NOT happy. Burn-your-eyes rich at idle but pulled like a raped-ape when you were on it.

Converted the car to MAF (Gadget likely has the link handy to the article on it) and she's been fantastic since.

Cruise can be setup with the Mustang cruise module.... Something I haven't got around to doing yet.
                            1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
                              MAF is far more "vacuum friendly"; meaning it's cam-friendly. SD will work very well as long as the cam pulls adequate vacuum.

Gadget's mention of the HO and Explorer cams is a good one. I ended up with an aftermarket piece when I did my H/C/I swap and the SD was NOT happy. Burn-your-eyes rich at idle but pulled like a raped-ape when you were on it.

Converted the car to MAF (Gadget likely has the link handy to the article on it) and she's been fantastic since.

Cruise can be setup with the Mustang cruise module.... Something I haven't got around to doing yet.

MAF is good for cams with LACK of idle vacuum- Since it does not use manifold vacuum for sensing load. Even with MAF , you still need a lot of tuning for maximum power and drivability. I know plenty of maf converted cars that still run like crap. They might idle marginally better than a SD car...
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X