Need a better cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a better cam

I am thinking about swaping out the cam in the vic.

It currently has an H.O. cam in it, I need something that has more tq, and something that will pull past 5,700 RPMs.

I was looking at the B and E letter cams from ford. Do you guys recommend any other cams that are speed density friendly?

xe258, xe264. Gonna be obvious you have a cam though. there was that 15511 cam or whatever that alot of people on corral like

Maybe some better flowing heads.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i thought ford racing cams didnt work with speed density? the 2 ford cams id use are the E or F cams. the B cam is power after 3000 rpms. the E cam runs from idle to like 5500-6000 and the F cam is like 1500-6500 i belive.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        xe258, xe264. Gonna be obvious you have a cam though. there was that 15511 cam or whatever that alot of people on corral like

Maybe some better flowing heads.
        I was trying to find the 15511 I was told at idle you couldnt tell the difference between a stock cam and it. I found 2 on corral but they had already been sold.

How does the xe258 and xe254 sound at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
          i thought ford racing cams didnt work with speed density? the 2 ford cams id use are the E or F cams. the B cam is power after 3000 rpms. the E cam runs from idle to like 5500-6000 and the F cam is like 1500-6500 i belive.
          I am kinda leaning toward the E cam, I am kinda worried that the F cam is going to have to much of a lope at idle.

I plan on setting the idle up a little maybe around 1,000RPMs to hopfully smooth out the lope at idle....

Comment

i have and E cam in my car but i cant tell you how it is cause my car still hasnt started yet. from what ive hered it has a good idle but plenty of power once you step on it.

Comment

e cam is a turd in a two ton car

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

B and E cam are not SD friendly.

most aftermarket cams have pretty aggressive lift, so you need to be worried about P/V clearence.

HO cam is pretty good, if you advance it 4 degrees.
                you may be better off advancing the HO cam and getting some ported E7 heads or P heads.
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                  B and E cam are not SD friendly.

most aftermarket cams have pretty aggressive lift, so you need to be worried about P/V clearence.

HO cam is pretty good, if you advance it 4 degrees.
                  you may be better off advancing the HO cam and getting some ported E7 heads or P heads.
                  Thats what I have now. P/P E7s with a HO cam that has been advanced 4*.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post

What would you recommend?

Comment

I'm running a b cam but I still have e6 heads. Power delivery is weird. Seems to have good torque when pulling a trailer down low but really kicks it in the ass after about 2500 ish. I think you'd be better off with something else.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                        whats turdish about the E cam?

Comment

^^ I would like to know the same thing, the ford description says Good idle quality. Excellent low- and mid-range power. Power through 6000 RPM. Works good with automatic transmission.

Comment

only thing i can think of though is that most people put that cam in the mustang. so istead of moving 4000 pounds it move 3200 pounds. but it htink with a good rear end ratio like a 3.23 or a 3.55 it should be fine. not like most are towing stuff with a boat.

Comment

my car has a 4.30 gear. I havnt put it on scales yet(i plan on doing that in the next couple of weeks) but I would guess around 3,500-3,800lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X