No announcement yet.

Need a better cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^ thats what i was htinking when i got my E cam. though all i heard was how the E cam was a low end power cam so i got it anyways. i guess i got suckered in but it didnt help when i got the cam for 50 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
      My cam comes on like a light-switch, but definitely doggy below ~2,000RPM, comes on hard north of 2,500RPM.

Take the descriptions of the FMS alphabet cams with a grain of salt......... They have a 2,800-3,200lb Mustang with a stick in it in mind when they make those recommendations......
      where does the E cam quit pulling?

Comment

Well past where my tranny shifts at this point
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

HAHA seriously, where does it redline under load?

Comment

well most cams that kick in at 2500 seem to rev over 6k easy. so id say itd go to 6500 roughly. but im guessing.

Comment

if you're running stock valve springs, it will most likely valve float before the cam completely runs out. 5500 is the advertised top end for an E, and that sounds about right. Stock springs will probably float in the 5500-6000 range, and the stock rev limiter is 6250, so you're not getting past that anyway.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Without a tuner or a chip anyways
                1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

my bad 3/16'' hole not 3/8''! or you can try getting a custom cam ground.
                  [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Yup. I have one for my Capri. Couldn't justify the expense on the Townie though. It's not a race car.......

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      if you're running stock valve springs, it will most likely valve float before the cam completely runs out. 5500 is the advertised top end for an E, and that sounds about right. Stock springs will probably float in the 5500-6000 range, and the stock rev limiter is 6250, so you're not getting past that anyway.
                      what about mustang valve springs? but yea if the cam is too radical floating a valve is inevitable

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
                        what about mustang valve springs? but yea if the cam is too radical floating a valve is inevitable
                        Same springs. They are awful.

TFS makes a spring kit that fits stock heads. It's cheap and a great upgrade for any mild aftermarket stick.

Comment

lovely. now im wondering my my valves will float with the E cam i have when i get that mustang/trans-go govenor

Comment

Yes, quite likely. You'll know it if you put it on a dyno and the graph turns into Bart Simpson's hair past a certain RPM point.

Comment

what do you have for springs then?

Comment

These heads were rebuilt with new springs. I have no idea what they are other than they are heavier than stock.

THESE are the ones I was talking about from TFS:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

Working...
                                X