Need a better cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    if you're running stock valve springs, it will most likely valve float before the cam completely runs out. 5500 is the advertised top end for an E, and that sounds about right. Stock springs will probably float in the 5500-6000 range, and the stock rev limiter is 6250, so you're not getting past that anyway.
    You EFI people ..... always assuming that everyone is permanently subject to the whims of the Great EEC-IV Engine Control Module .... :p

More seriously, though, around what RPM would brand-new stock Mustang springs go into valve float with a stock Mustang or Explorer cam?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

6250 with a stock HO cam is way outside it's power range, even if the valves weren't floating. I'd bet they'd give up before you hit that rpm though. 5500 is probably about all you'd get out of stock valve springs before they're just not enough. The cam has likely quit pulling by that point anyway.

I've had my car at 5200 with better than stock springs. It doesn't make power up there. All I got for my trouble was a blown header gasket and a lot of high rpm sounds until I upshifted. Explorer cam is pretty much done at 4800.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
        Same springs. They are awful.

TFS makes a spring kit that fits stock heads. It's cheap and a great upgrade for any mild aftermarket stick.
        do you need to machine the head to run these springs? what about better lifters?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKRM View Post
          do you need to machine the head to run these springs? what about better lifters?
          Stock lifters are fine. No machine work necessary for those springs.
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Working...
          X