Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400 HP With A Stock Cam!

400 HP With A Stock Cam!
    Totally Naturally Aspirated, And The Only Things We'll Change Are The Heads, Headers, And Rocker Arms

By Matthew King

If we claimed we could make 400 hp with a stock Ford 302 short-block and the stock factory hydraulic-roller cam, you'd probably say, "No big deal, they're probably using nitrous." What if we said we could do it without nitrous or any other kind of power-adder--totally naturally aspirated, and the only things we'll change are the heads, headers, and rocker arms? Everything else--pistons, rods, cam, oiling system, and so on remains totally stock. We hope you'd be impressed, because we certainly were.

The key to this remarkable achievement is simple: one awesome set of cylinder heads. Heads so good in fact, that they are worth about 100 hp over a set of stock 5.0L Mustang heads on their own. You read that right--100 horsepower. Over the years, we've tested many great cylinder heads and have become used to gains of 50, 75, or more horsepower compared to low-performance factory castings, but the Air Flow Research 165cc smog-legal heads we tested on this small-block Ford may take the prize for the best bolt-on performance gain we've ever seen from a set of heads.

The foundation for the test was a bone-stock 5.0L H.O. engine taken from a '91 Mustang. As delivered, 5.0 engines of this vintage had forged-aluminum pistons, a hydraulic-roller camshaft (see spec chart), a double-roller timing set, and stamped 1.6:1 nonadjustable rocker arms. Rated static compression runs around 9.0:1 with the stock cast-iron E7TE cylinder heads, which are equipped with puny 1.78/1.46-inch intake/exhaust valves and nominal 60cc chambers. With stock fuel-injection, this engine was factory rated at 225 hp at 4,200 rpm and 300 lb-ft of torque at 3,000.

Our test engine maintains most of those specs, with the only alterations being a quick bottle-brush hone to clean up the cylinder walls and a set of fresh rings and bearings. We baselined the freshened-up short-block with a pair of rebuilt but otherwise stock E7TE factory heads, the stock hydraulic-roller cam, stock tubular exhaust manifolds, and a Weiand Stealth dual-plane intake topped with a four-barrel carburetor. That combination developed 278 hp at 5,200 rpm and 315 lb-ft of torque at 4,100 on Westech Performance's SuperFlow 901 engine dyno.

With those numbers in hand, we made three changes in two steps: first, we bolted on a set of Air Flow Research's 50-state-legal 165cc aluminum cylinder heads. Equipped with 1.90/1.60-inch intake/exhaust valves, these heads are designed to clear the valve-relief notches in the stock forged-aluminum pistons without modification, making them an easy bolt-on. We opted to order the heads with provisions to accept the stock nonadjustable pedestal-style rocker-arm setup, which allowed us to test them with the stock stamped rockers. AFR also offers these heads set up with studs and guideplates for conventional roller rockers. We've seen these heads tested on other combinations and have been impressed with their performance, but this is the first time we've bolted a set of the 165s on such a stock engine. Rather than choke the heads with the stock exhaust manifolds, we stepped up to a pair of Doug's Headers stepped Tri-Y headers designed to fit a '60-'65 Ford Falcon, the car we eventually plan to swap this engine into. Previous testing has shown this design, which incorporates stepped 1-5/8-to-1-3/4-inch primary tubes, to be fully equal to, if not slightly better than, traditional four-into-one long-tube headers.

We bolted the AFR heads onto the short-block with a set of ARP head bolts and a new set of Fel-Pro head gaskets, and reinstalled the Weiand dual-plane along with a brand-new Road Demon Jr. 625-cfm carburetor (see sidebar). With 35 degrees of total ignition lead and 70 jets in the primary metering block, the little 302 produced a jaw-dropping 382 hp at 6,000 rpm and 368 lb-ft of torque at 4,200, a gain of 104 hp and 53 lb-ft solely from the heads and headers.

At this point, we briefly considered swapping the stock cam for a larger 'stick to see if we could crest the 400hp mark, but that would have been too obvious, not to mention a fair bit of work, and we were feeling lazy that day. Far simpler would be to swap on a set of higher-ratio adjustable roller rockers. The higher-ratio rockers offer the benefit of increasing effective lift and duration at the valves without compromising the inherent driveability of the mild stock cam. Comp Cams offers the perfect product for this application with its aluminum adjustable 1.7:1 roller rockers (PN 1054), which bolt onto the stock cylinder-head pedestals and allow easy valve adjustment with a pushrod-cup adjuster nut. We had the valve gear swapped in about 15 minutes (we didn't even have to change the pushrods), and pulled the handle on the dyno. Success! As expected, the higher-ratio rockers increased the area under the curve of the stock cam, pushing output to 405 hp at 6,200 rpm and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4,300, a gain of 23 hp and 12 lb-ft of torque.

To put this performance in context, consider that this relatively small engine is making 1.34 hp and 1.25 lb-ft of torque per cubic inch with a stock camshaft. An equivalent 350ci engine would need to make 470 hp and 437 lb-ft to equal this specific output, numbers that usually take good cylinder heads and a healthy cam. So these AFR heads really are just that good. The 302 also benefits from having a 4-inch bore, which maximizes the cylinder-head flow, and although the stock hydraulic-roller camshaft is small by performance standards, its lift and duration figures are pretty decent compared to a typical smog-era stocker.

The beauty of this combination is that you can take a very inexpensive stock engine, spend your money on a few good parts that really make power, and wind up with a truly kick-ass, driveable little engine without breaking the bank. Now just imagine all those parts bolted onto a 347 stroker with a big cam. Maybe next time.

now all this with a carb do you think efi would make more power?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
    So these AFR heads really are just that good.
    +1. They advertise large power gains over competitors heads, and they also offer alot of other innovative parts, especially for the SBC (ie, the hydra rev system; I think thats what its called). I have a catalog, and one of their main ideals is to run a small cam and allow the heads to make the best possible use of the air.
    Last edited by P72Ford; 09-20-2008, 01:31 PM.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yes, excellent heads, pretty much the best install-and-forget heads out there for 302/351's.

Comment

how much are they charging for these heads though haha, would you be better off buying a crate motor hahaha
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

The thing about that story that has always caught my eye is the peak figures RPM. By changing the intake only (and a dual-plane design at that), they shifted the peak figures up 1,000 rpm. Something is wrong there if you ask me.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            how much are they charging for these heads though haha, would you be better off buying a crate motor hahaha
            They're 1500 and up for a set. A FRPP crate motor won't make the power that they are capable of... not even close...

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/...e004/A4-P1.htm
            Last edited by P72Ford; 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i picked up a set of the non-emission 185's for $900 used
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

My friend has a set for his 406 SBC and they're hard to beat. If I was going to build an engine, I would save up for a set of 165s for a 5.0L or 185s for a 351W.

Packman

Comment

Is the fellars mouth a stock cam?

Comment

It's 400HP on an ENGINE dyno; that's SAE GROSS. Not the same rating our cars were rated at, which is SAE NET. RWHP numbers would be more in the range of ~300RWHP, which most bolt-on H/C/I 5.0L's make. Some have also done it with the stock cam.

Nothing special about this article at all, which was featured in Car Craft. I got all excited about it too a few years back when I first read it. But I have learned a fair bit since then.

If it was 400RWHP.... That would be a VERY different story.
                    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                      Is the fellars mouth a stock cam?
                      Is that question supposed to actually make sense?

BTW, the AFR 165s' flow rates are extremely comparable to what BHP in Canton, MI gets out of ported E7s for just over a third the price.

AFR 165, intake

.1 62
                      .2 123
                      .3 186
                      .4 225
                      .5 243
                      .6 246

BHP, intake

.1 59
                      .2 122
                      .3 179
                      .4 210
                      .5 218
                      .6 210

AFR 165, exhaust

.1 56
                      .2 118
                      .3 153
                      .4 178
                      .5 185
                      .6 191

BHP, exhaust

.1 51
                      .2 108
                      .3 156
                      .4 180
                      .5 194
                      .6 196
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 09-21-2008, 12:14 AM.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

BHP ported E7s have pulled 375 at the rear wheels around 5000 rpm the test was ended because the 19# injectors wouldnt supply enough fuel and fear of burning a hole in the piston.

Doing thee math the 302 needed 40 lbs injectors to maitain system design pressure. 30s or 35s might work. At this level the engine should have produced 430 at around 6000 to 6500 RPM. Dont know what happend after that the guy never came back. It was a Mark VII.

As far as the air flow being close to equal. They would havee to bee teasted on the same bench back to back. Depending on wether the pressure rises or drops between the two would show which one actualy flows more and air speed needs to be checked. The BHP heads only add about 5cc to the intake. Think that adds up to either 145cc or 150 on the E7s. The 165 cc ports on the AFRs would lead me to believe the air speed is lower and they would work bette on a larger engine or a much higher rpm 302.
                        Last edited by turbo2256b; 09-22-2008, 11:49 PM.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

My DOOE heads pull 235 at .500 lift and more than the ported E7s below that there still below 165ccs but dont remember what.

Comment

Right, I tend to forget about flowbench variabilities ... can you tell my formal training isn't in engineering? :p Still, the numbers we have readily available are enough to convince me of which to buy when I go looking for 350-plus hp.

BTW, have you guys ever ported a set of F1 or F3 GT40 heads? Just wondering how those compare to these numbers that I stole from one of Colin's threads way back when.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              The thing about that story that has always caught my eye is the peak figures RPM. By changing the intake only (and a dual-plane design at that), they shifted the peak figures up 1,000 rpm. Something is wrong there if you ask me.
                              The Stelth intake onnly flows around 170 CFM through a cylinder head. Bolt a torqer or VrJr to the 165s and see big torq losses at low RPM on a small engine like a 302. Higher RPM will be needed not the best for a heavy car.

Comment

Working...
                              X