Rear Fascia and Bumper???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Fascia and Bumper???

So, I have been considering a few options for customizing the rear of the Grand Marquis.

First Idea:: I want to either black-out the existing rear fascia panel/reflector thingy. Or just get a Police Interceptor rear fascia.
    But here's my question...How would I go about getting into the fascia panel? Is it glued or clipped?
    I figure it would be a little cheaper to take it apart and just paint the inside. But if it is an ass-load of work, then I think just buying the P.I. rear would be easier.

Next Idea:: Rear bumper: Mine looks kinda shoddy. Not too bad, but it bugs me (a few spider cracks, scratches and scuffs, etc). My two ideas are:
    Crown Vic bumper. I think they look better that the MGM's for some reason.
    Marauder bumper. Just wicked badass. But there's something that bothers me about putting a bumper that says "Marauder" on a G.Marq.

I assume both covers would fit pretty easily. But I suppose this is more of a POLL question. Which bumper would look better???
    Crown Victoria bumper
    0%
    Marauder bumper
    0%
    Black-painted stock MGM rear fascia
    0%
    CVPI rear fascia
    0%
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

No ideas about how difficult the rear fascia is to take apart??
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

The rear piece is held on by nuts. I took it off my old 2000 CV and took it off my dads old GM. I just scuffed and painted my dads one on his GM. Now if you dont get a CV bumper cover or a Marauder one you will have a ugly gap with the GM cover and a CV rear panel. If you are keeping your GM bumper cover I highly suggest that you just paint the GM panel.

Here are the before and after pics of my dads old GM when I did it. Really easy.

2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I kinda thought about that. A friend of mine has a spray gun and what not and he said he'd sand them down, primer, and spray them for like $15 bucks plus paint. I figured some automotive paint done right would hold up pretty well. I was hesitant to use a rattle can on the outside. Your pa's looks nice. What did you use?
        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I just scuffed them and used some krylon paint. It held up fine, no issues at all. If you wanted to paint your grille or something I would suggest a good automotive paint to resist rock chips.

Comment

Can you read my mind man!?!? I was thinking about doing the grill too. Maybe I'll just do the rear fascia myself and have my friend do the grill. Did you just use some high count sandpaper to scuff. And did you use the Krylon Fusion plastic stuff or regular.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper and just used regular krylon. That fusion stuff is suppose to be good but I couldn't tell you.

Comment

I used some on some hubcaps a few years ago and seemed to work ok. Well this is my project for tomorrow. I may even have some 350-400 grit laying around...
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I did it this after noon, it doesn't look too bad. It looks a little rough though. I am thinking about wet sanding it with 1000 grit and spraying a coat of clear.
                  1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
                  X