Lincoln won't start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln won't start...

The Lincoln wouldn't start tonight, I figured the wet weather is to blame...The car started/ran fine earlier in the week, when it was nice and sunny!
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Symptoms?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

My step-bro (mechanic in training) figures it's an ignition-related problem. We tried boosting the car and that didn't help. The battery is only about 4 months old. The spark-plugs were replaced about 2 months ago...perhaps it's a bad wire?
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

got spark? fuel?
        dont leave us much to go with here

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The engine would turn-over. The gas-tank & fuel-filter are only 3 months old. Fuel-gauge reads 3/4 full. I bought gas last week. I have no idea how old the alternator is...
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

still does not answer my question

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

No spark but fuel-delivery seemed fine.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

When did it last have a new cap/rotor/plug wires?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

if the cap/rotor and wires are old, any condensation in the cap could potentially be negating the spark that is trying to jump. cap and rotor are cheap, so are wires, ifyou havent changed tehm all in a while, do it soon

Comment

No spark = no start. 79 is DuraSpark, which is not that weather sensitive. If you have no spark at the ignition coil, its not the cap or rotor. Its also not a bad wire. I'd be more inclined to think bad connection at the coil, bad connection between the distributor and Dspark box, or maybe a bad Dspark. You'll need to do some more diagnosis.

1) Do you have +12v at the + side of the coil with the key on (test light is fine to check)? If yes, goto 2. If not, check your connectors at the starter relay, at the coil, and the ignition switch.as well as the ballast resistor.
                    2) Do you have 12v at the + side of the coil when cranking? If yes, goto 3. If not, check the connection between the I terminal on the starter relay and the + side of the coil.
                    3) If the test light is across the coil, does it blink when cranking the engine? If yes, goto 4, otherwise check the connections at the dspark box, and at the distributor.
                    4) Will the coil spark to ground when cranking? If yes, goto 5, otherwise replace coil
                    5) do you have spark at the spark plug end of the coil wire? If yes, the motor ought to run. If not, check/replace the igntiion wires and distributor cap/rotor.

There's probably a much more comprehensive troubleshooting chart for the ignition system, but that ought to get you pointed in the right direction.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No spark = no start. 79 is DuraSpark, which is not that weather sensitive. If you have no spark at the ignition coil, its not the cap or rotor. Its also not a bad wire. I'd be more inclined to think bad connection at the coil, bad connection between the distributor and Dspark box, or maybe a bad Dspark. You'll need to do some more diagnosis.

1) Do you have +12v at the + side of the coil with the key on (test light is fine to check)? If yes, goto 2. If not, check your connectors at the starter relay, at the coil, and the ignition switch.as well as the ballast resistor.
                      2) Do you have 12v at the + side of the coil when cranking? If yes, goto 3. If not, check the connection between the I terminal on the starter relay and the + side of the coil.
                      3) If the test light is across the coil, does it blink when cranking the engine? If yes, goto 4, otherwise check the connections at the dspark box, and at the distributor.
                      4) Will the coil spark to ground when cranking? If yes, goto 5, otherwise replace coil
                      5) do you have spark at the spark plug end of the coil wire? If yes, the motor ought to run. If not, check/replace the igntiion wires and distributor cap/rotor.

There's probably a much more comprehensive troubleshooting chart for the ignition system, but that ought to get you pointed in the right direction.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys! New cap, rotor, plug-wires & ignition-coil have been installed. The Lincoln starts & runs awesome now
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

excellent

Comment

Working...
                            X