This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine shifts at exactly 42MPH

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

With the TV cable adjusted according to the books I was getting 3-4 shift under light accel at about 45mph, now with the cable almost maxed out the only way it goes in OD at 45mph is if I let off teh gas completely. My current upshift is like Scott's, at about 55mph, and it works much much better, especially with city driving.

Comment

Checked my TV cable adjustment today since the bushing lookedd about fried.
        Installed new bushing. The adjustment seemed to be at max according to proceedure. Marked the 5/16 and set to mid.
        Trans seemed to be shifing early at light throttle before reseting to mid travel giving me a flat spot in acceleration. Adjusting to mid seems to have helped, shifts a bit later. Which direction raises the shift point towards max or towards min? Also had a mark already at the max setting no mark at min or mid.

Also a few days ago started getting a slaping / thumping noise near the trany tail shaft area. Thought maybe poping from the timing being to high at idle. Happens at a stop mostly in gear. Backed the timing off still does it.
        Last edited by turbo2256b; 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I am posting this because I think that the above links can be a little confusing for some people.
          To do the adjustment by yourself, substitute a stick for the extra human holding the gas pedal down - I used a short adjustable rolling pole.
          Assuming you already have the listed part number above which is a little brass washer and locking clip , follow these steps.

1. floor board the gas pedal
          2. remove tv cable from throttle body
          3. unlock push pin
          4. pull rail from the end as marked hard.
          5. lock the push pin
          6. make a mark on the rail at edge of the push pin assembly.
          7. make a mark 5/16" down the rail from that mark
          8 make a mark in between those two.
          9. the mark furthest toward the end of the rail is MIN
          10. the first mark you made is MAX
          11. set your edge of push pin assembly in between MIDDLE and MAX
          that is for a longer shift pattern
          the further you go towards the end of the rail is the faster it will shift.

Comment

The shifts on my 82 with light throttle are

1-2 at 18
            2-3 at 27
            OD at 42

I also noticed that my cable is EXTREMELY LOOSE! However, i am not getting any early shifts, as per this post. Even though my shifts are VERY FIRM, how could this cause my tranny to go bad? I'm sorry, but i just dont understand.

This is a great article and i will adjust because i do not get a 3-1 shift at around 25 mph like i should.

Comment

my transmission has a shift kit and "A" servo. it has super firm shifts but seems to shift early. it doesnt like to kick down to second when i floor it when i go down the road. it is going back to the shop to have final adjustments made since i called and made a complaint that they havent done so and i dont feel like losing my car for another month. i am gonna be at the transmission shop til they FINISH.

the better the pressure the better the clutches grab in the transmission. if you you dont have a high enough pressure the clutches seem to slip into gear instead of GRABBING. less slippage the longer the clutch life...think of a manual transmission. think of when you want to make quick take offs and quick shifts. if you take your foot off slowly to not let the clutch grab as fast, it wears it out sooner because it eases down instead. too high of pressure and you wont hit gears till late. i had to make a couple adjustments to find the right shift points and you dont have to move it much. first adjustment made it shift into 3rd around 50 and OD around 70 at light throttle. this was all before i had the transmission rebuilt.

make sure you get a brass grommet/bushing and clip to replace the worn out rubber that holds the adjuster or you will burn the transmission up if it falls out of the old rubber grommet.
              Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

found a video explaining TV cable adjustment
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

Comment

My OD shifts at exactly 52 mph, all the other shifts are fine, except when going from 2-3 it takes a LONG time to shift, then if I let off the throttle, let it slide into OD and if I hit the throttle lightly it makes a grinding/chinking noise...
                  sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

nice find,just adjusted mine now. shifts are firmer and the tranny feels less sluggish. definitely worth it
                    [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

I finally got around to doing this. Shit mine was basically set at the minimun setting before now. I love it!
                      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Hi Guys! noob here, I have read MANY posts about adjusting TV cables, many making it extremely convoluted. Measuring here, measuring there.....

According to this Youtube video, all one has to do is disconnect the cable from the bracket, take up the slack (no slack, no preload) and snap it back in?

Is it possible it could be that easy?

The only complaints I have about mine are a WAY early 2-3 shift, (1-2 is fine,and 3-OD is fine) and it DOES NOT like to down shift out of OD on it's own. Ya gotta floor it.
                        People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Those symptoms can be fixed by slight adjustments of the cable.

Let me find that link...

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2601
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS
                          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                          Mercury Owners Group member
                          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

*LOL* You linked me right back here! The video I was talking about is in post #22
                            People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

Comment

I got skills mang...

There are some experts here that can explain it a lot better...
                              2000 Grand Marquis LS
                              2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                              1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                              Mercury Owners Group member
                              Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Coo mang, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna trash the trans by drivin' her like that...she was my Grandmothers, and is very dear to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X