Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, someone will chime in once they all wake up...
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I am glad you still have this post up. I am still in need of this information. I don't understand the directions but at least can print it off and search for someone in my neck of the woods who may comprehend how to do this.

I was ravensnbees but had to change my ID and stuff due to losing my old info (from back in '06). The 87 in the pic is my baby, she has had trainy trouble since '06. Won't shift into OD. Can we all have a moment of hope, for my dear Grand Marquis. I have done well keeping her safe with the help of the Marquis Angels LOL ~j~

Comment

MAN! Where's my pic? humph!

Comment

TaDa! I see it's not as dramatic now that the pic shows up, it shows on all three post LOL. Thank you all for your patience. This here is my 2dr Mercury Grand Marquis, with 111,??? miles and a trainy that won't shift. I've been baying this thing sence '03 and dag nabit I'm gonna keep on until I fix her up cause she's perdy and has stolen a spot on me heart when she made my Grand Dad smile. They made less than 5,000 of this model. I finnally have a pic so I must brag. I'll have to get a better photo because the hubs are not showing up in this pic. Someone stole my Mercury sign from the back HUMPH!

The shifting linkage (the one that sticks out of the steering column) is really, really tight, like it feels like it might snap off! Do you think that might have anything to do with the trainy refusing to shift into OD and shifting into the other gears rough and slow?

Thanks

Comment

Actually it could have a lot to do with it... both the gear selector and the TV levers both work with two cylinders that rotate, one inside the other, if one is binding up, it could be afftecting the other, since TV pressure affect how it shifts...

Id reccomend you or have a shop drop the pan and have someone go through the gears and work the throttle, watching for any binding or interference that might cause the symptoms you're having.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Well that wasn't really hard to do at all, i did the 5/16th's measuring technique, it made quite the difference when shifting into drive and releasing the gas at high speeds but there is still a bit of a clunk when shifting at certain speeds, I am going to keep driving it for a while and then try the technique in the youtube video of just taking it off and putting it back in with no slack/preload.

That bushing flew off when I disconnected the block thing from the rubber grommet, and the grommet pushed out of the throttle body arm when i put the block back in!, so i am gonna get new ones tommorow and work on detailing my engine as you can see how dirty it is!

The crutch from when i broke my knee snowboarding at the start of feb came in handy!

The dirty ass engine, does something look loose here?

and the shitty bushing
              Last edited by ÆJackacks; 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM.
              Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

I just set mine like the link said a few minutes ago, and while I couldn't find a good long straight road, the results are as follows: 1-2 shift between 20-25mph depending upon how hard I am driving it. 2-3 shift 35-40mph, and the OD shift I really couldn't get a feel for, as I couldn't get her up above 55, but if I let off the accellerator, she'd shift into overdrive. (It's not going to hit OD until somewhere after 55 though)

Sound about right?

As an aside, I noticed the shifts are a LOT firmer now, almost like a shift kit, sometimes it feels as though it "slams" into gear, even when moving the gear lever from "P" to "OD"

However it DOES stay in 2nd longer now, which I like, it was shifting 2-3 so fast it felt like it was skipping second altogether....not anymore.

I also noticed quite a bit of preload on the cable this time when I set it like the link said too.
                Did I do it right?
                People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Arise from the dead!

Sorry to bring up a year old post but I was reading the info here and decided to adjust my tv cable. It seemed my trans was shifting really early in all gears. The tv cable was set at about half. As in the block was at about half way between each end of the adjustment.

So I pulled the adjuster all the way out of the block and made a mark. Measured 5/16" from the block toward the end of the cable. Made a mark inbetween the two marks I just made. And set the block to about 1/16" past the middle mark toward the first mark I made at the block. If that makes sense.

The trans is way more responsive now but I want to make sure I didn't up the pressure too much.

Under light acceleration:
                  1-2 shift at 19mph.
                  2-3 shift at 36mph.
                  OD shift at 50+mph. Not sure since it was a 40 mph road and I didn't want to speed too bad.

Too much? Too little? Thanks.
                  1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

Comment

Thought this might help. Red marks on the cable show the measurement method max, min and mid. This shot shows also the block pulled/pushed back as far as it would go.
                    Attached Files
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I found this vid on youtube and thought it would clear up any confusion about the subject. I did it this way and it shifts nicer than it ever has before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

Hope it helps someone.
                      1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 H.O.

Comment

Originally posted by jm8881 View Post
                        I found this vid on youtube and thought it would clear up any confusion about the subject. I did it this way and it shifts nicer than it ever has before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

Hope it helps someone.
                        hey genius check out my post earlier in the thread i posted the same exact video a year ago

Comment

No need to be an asshole.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

hey... really dumb question
                            but do CFI's have tv cable?!?!
                            i was looking through my bro's 91 crown vic and i saw it on his.
                            i looked at my motor couldn't tell.
                            dumb question, i know...

*one day im going to need one of these for all the dumb questions
                            sigpic
                            67 Ltd tudor
                            67 Ltd 4door
                            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

There are no dumb questions, but there are dumb answers..

Yes, you do have a TV cable
                              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                                hey genius check out my post earlier in the thread i posted the same exact video a year ago

This type of talk is not needed or wanted here.
                                2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                                X