Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folddown seats

Dear Panthers,
    Some years ago I owned a puegot sedan whose front seats folded flat into a bed. I'm abou to either change seats or eupholster my front ones (89CP) and wonder how difficult it would be to make them fold flat.

Donald McCaig

it would be easier to change seats. you just need to find seats that you want and then make brackets for them to bolt to the floor.

Unless you can re-engineer the seat's hinge mechanism to let it lay flat
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Dear Panthers,
      Any panther-comfortable seats lie flat?
      Donald McCaig

Comment

I've seen conversion van rear seats that would pull out flat, sort of like a futon, but I don't know of any front seats that would do that. The factory seats have a hinge at the wrong spot to be able to do that. It would need to be lower and the backs completely re-designed to get that sort of result. It might be easier to do with the rear seat, or maybe fit one of those van rear seats in place, but the amount of available space might become a concern. There isn't all that much room between the bottom of the rear seat and the back of the front seat.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you could always look for a wagon...
          The rear seats fold down flat, and there's plenty of room for a nap back there.
          I have even hauled a twin mattress in mine before.
          Just find a nice level place to park and crack the windows slightly for a little air and ZZZZZZZzzzzz!!
          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
            you could always look for a wagon...
            The rear seats fold down flat, and there's plenty of room for a nap back there.
            I have even hauled a twin mattress in mine before.
            Just find a nice level place to park and crack the windows slightly for a little air and ZZZZZZZzzzzz!!
            He has a wagon. :P

Comment

Dear Panthers,
              Yes I've removed my dogproof screen betwen the back seat and the wayback, folded the back seats forward and laid down with dogs but I prefer snoozing in the passenger seat. It would be very nice if it would fold back just a little farther. Donald McCaig

Comment

You mean like recline?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I've seen conversion van rear seats that would pull out flat, sort of like a futon, but I don't know of any front seats that would do that. The factory seats have a hinge at the wrong spot to be able to do that. It would need to be lower and the backs completely re-designed to get that sort of result. It might be easier to do with the rear seat, or maybe fit one of those van rear seats in place, but the amount of available space might become a concern. There isn't all that much room between the bottom of the rear seat and the back of the front seat.
                  How bulky is the mechanism under those futon-type van seats? I don't know a lot about them, but don't they slide forward as they recline so that they basically take up the same amount of room? Seems that they might be able to be made to work in the front so long as a not-very-adjustable bench seat is acceptable.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i don't honestly remember. A friend of mine had a set of the seats years back he got somewhere and was going to install in his van to make it into a mini camper, but I never examined them all that close.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Passenger seat becomes a bed

Dear Panthers,
                      I'm considering another mod and seek your opinions. Fairly soon I'll need to reupholster my front seats or replace them. While Pete's towncar seats are more comfortable than mine, mine - reupholstered - should be okay for the long trips I envision. 13 hours to Fla in Feb.

If I'm lucky enough to find a codriver, we can drive more than 24 hours w/o stopping except for gas. If no codriver, I rely on energy drinks and occasional rest stops. In both cases, a passenger seat that folds all the way flat would be better than the stock recline.

Since I'm going to be reupholstering anyway, why couldn't some genius (Scott? Thain?) take another 89GM passenger seat (power?), strip it to the frame, rehinge it, make a removeable headrest and reset the seat track so the passenger seat could travel a few inches forward and, thus, fold flat?

The reupholsterer would strip to the frame anyway, yes?

Donald McCaig

Comment

Working...
                      X