Output Shaft in my AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Output Shaft in my AOD

The output shaft is shared off in my AOD. Does anyone know if I can replace it without completely gutting the transmission? I see the tail housing is removable, but can the shaft be removed at that stage or does the transmission need to be completely disassembled? If so, what specialty tools will I need?
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Output shaft is the first thing to go in and the last thing to come out. As far what tools you need, I'm not sure but now would be a good time to rebuild it. Those things dont just shear off either.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Unfortunately, the tailshaft is the last item out and first item in. If you need to replace it you are looking at a complete teardown of the trans. You may be better off finding a good used AOD and just replacing the trans altogether rather than spending the time and cost involved in a rebuild.
      sigpic
      https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
      1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
      1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
      2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
      2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

ok, I gotta ask. How the hell did you shear the output shaft off?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

good example on why you dont do neutral drops.
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

indeed. If the shaft was damaged from abuse, I'd suspect the rest of the internals of the trans being damaged. Probably you should completely rebuild it, or swap it for another good trans.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
              The output shaft is sheared off in my AOD...

If so, what specialty tools will I need?
              http://www.etoolcart.com/fordaodaod-eaod-ew4r70w.aspx
              http://forums.stangnet.com/755608-re...ng-my-aod.html
              1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
              1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
              1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                The output shaft is shared off in my AOD. Does anyone know if I can replace it without completely gutting the transmission? I see the tail housing is removable, but can the shaft be removed at that stage or does the transmission need to be completely disassembled? If so, what specialty tools will I need?
                If you somehow managed to shear off quite possibly the strongest part of the entire transmission, don't even bother trying to repair that AOD, as breaking that off has more than likely destroyed the case itself. I don't know what you did, but I have never heard of an output shaft being broken with an AOD...

....unless you broke the 3-4 Input shaft? That is repairable, and is usually an indication that there is a valve or two sticking in the valve body, causing 2nd to hang while 3rd tries to engage...

Comment

I would agree.... if the output shaft is broken, there is probably more significant damage inside the transmission that caused the shaft to break and most likely has damaged the transmission case.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

on a side note i did the same thing in my 91 thunderbird. neutral drops! but i gotta say it lasted almost a year of doing them! tough car. i got a new trans but the rear went shortly after. i never did fix it and i wish i would have.
                    Lets Go Pens!

Comment

I dunno...no neutral drops, and nobody else ever heard tell of an output shaft snapping like that before either...really weird. I actually stopped in the middle of the highway for some nuisance wildlife. Dry pavement conditions, load of stuff in the trunk, new tires, and I goosed the gas pretty good when I went to start off again. Heard the big "clunk" and the speedo went like a tach...revving it in gear the mph would go up but the car wouldn't move.

I'll get some pics when I get reunited with the car next week, as I was on holidays when it happened. BTW, the housing is fine, and the trans still operates fine (upshifting, ect.) so I think I'll get a rebuild underway as I think it's better to trust the devil you know than the one you don't...I'm going to get a custom large diameter unit from Lentech Automatics in Richmond, ON. I'm certain it is the output shaft as the driveshaft is out of the car with the spline piece still in the driveshaft yoke.

Either way, the battleship will sail again!
                      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Put it in gear and see it the driveshaft spins. Might have busted the rear end.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

The driveshaft isn't connected. It came out with the end of the output shaft still connected to the driveshaft.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I misread.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

It's all done, and The Battleship is back on the road for another summer I bought a road-tested used AOD for $450 plus taxes plus $150 for shipping. The new tranny seems OK, but upshifts are delayed when it's cold. I think the valve body might be sticking due to lack of use in the scrapyard. No big deal, I'll git-er-done this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X