No announcement yet.

Output Shaft in my AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me of a random question: a few years ago, someone I knew slightly at the time was installing a torque converter on his AOD and didn't realize how precise you have to be in positioning the thing, so he took and whacked it with a hammer. No huge surprise, the car didn't go forward afterward. What exactly did he probably break?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
      I'll get some pics when I get reunited with the car next week,
      I would like to see some pics still...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        This reminds me of a random question: a few years ago, someone I knew slightly at the time was installing a torque converter on his AOD and didn't realize how precise you have to be in positioning the thing, so he took and whacked it with a hammer. No huge surprise, the car didn't go forward afterward. What exactly did he probably break?
        I'd bet the pump. If that doesn't work, nothing works.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would like to see some pics still...

The only thing I can take a pic of now is the piece of the output shaft that came out of the driveshaft yoke. I'll take it this weekend and post it soon.

Just a wierd question: Has anyone else here had problems with the length of the Town Car driveshaft? When I took the driveshaft out of the car last October, the driveshaft was VERY difficult to come out. It seemed too long, and after the four bolts came out of the pinion flange, the driveshaft would not come ahead in the yoke far enough to drop it like those driveshafts are supposed to. It wouldn't clear the big pinion nut on the front of the differential. I had to pry and pound on it with a large hammer for a long time before it would come out.
          When I went to re-install it with the new transmission, I had the same problem, even though the new transmission is the "short" extension housing as opposed the the "long" extension housing on the original transmission. I ended up cutting about 1/2" off the driveshaft yoke (which made no difference as the yoke was "bottoming out" on the output shaft) and grinding the end off the pinion bolt in order to get it back in...and it still required the use of a large prybar and a hydraulic floor jack for re-installation.
          Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to cure this problem in case I need to remove the driveshaft in the future, though I hope I never need to remove the driveshaft any more...
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Was the rear axle at full droop? If so, it makes the DS harder to get out. Only time I ever had a problem is when the DS and output shaft splines were candy-caned and essentially locked together. I never did get those two apart, and the shop the car went to had a hell of a time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I'd bet the pump. If that doesn't work, nothing works.
              Probably just the pump, then? Is that something that he could have repaired at home instead of giving up and paying some goons $$$$ to put in a new transmission?

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              Was the rear axle at full droop? If so, it makes the DS harder to get out. Only time I ever had a problem is when the DS and output shaft splines were candy-caned and essentially locked together. I never did get those two apart, and the shop the car went to had a hell of a time as well.
              Was that your Mustang? :p

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Was that your Mustang? :p
                Nope, it was your P72, with the stupid harsh "hey look at me lose forward momentum" tire-chirping shifts, sticky tires, and intact Trac-Lock.

The Mustang driveline was bulletproof. Low weight, low power, a low stall TC, sloppy shifts, and slippery tires

I agree on seeing some pics. Odd to have the output shaft go before anything else.

Comment

Unless it had the wrong trans binding the driveline. And if it was that hard to get it may have been.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If the car had been hit and the motor had been shoved backward, that might do it. The rear trans crossmember is not all that strong, so its possible to have that bend in an accident. One of our members went through that after a major front end wreck on his Townie.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                      Nope, it was your P72, with the stupid harsh "hey look at me lose forward momentum" tire-chirping shifts, sticky tires, and intact Trac-Lock.

Comment

Working...
                      X