My 1979 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solenoid fail

I went to get the car out of storage on Friday night. No dice...Going to buy two solenoids this week. Will be good to have a spare on hand!
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

They fail whilst stored in a garage?

Packman

Comment

That may have happened to mine. I tried to bypass it with a screwdriver and still no crank, so my starter may have crapped out just sitting there.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
          I went to get the car out of storage on Friday night. No dice...Going to buy two solenoids this week. Will be good to have a spare on hand!
          I always carry a spare solenoid in both the car and truck. And I have bought them new that were no good...I bought one once that used to keep the starter cranking even after the key was released. A good rap with a screwdriver handle and it stopped cranking, worked fine ever since. That was about 6 years ago.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            They fail whilst stored in a garage?

Packman
            The starter is the issue...I think. Put the brand new solenoid on and no difference. Was able to start it by rapidly turning the key back and forth a few times. Drove my TC to the shop that deals with my cars. They'll take a closer look at the starter for me. A new one might be the cure. Current part has been rebuilt but that was back in 2011 by a different shop...
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

back in business

The starter drive has been replaced. Thankfully the part only cost $28. Starts perfectly now.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

long overdue up-date

I took my barge to cruise nights this summer. There's a father and son that come with their '77 Mark V Bill Blass. We're the only ones that bring Lincolns. I got the inspection done this month instead of December. Work order: oil-change and installation of the rear coils and shocks that I supplied. Ride quality is top-notch again If I have enough money left over after the CV gets some bodywork, I'll get some more paint on the TC.
                Last edited by 79lincolnlover; 09-28-2015, 09:58 PM.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                  If I have enough money left over after the CV gets some bodywork, I'll get some more paint on the TC.
                  I was short on cash after paying for the CV's bodywork, so the TC didn't get anything new. Now in storage.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Another year and back into storage. My cars are now sleeping, too.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

2020 up-date

Recent service history: Back in the Spring, had to replace the starter solenoid and re-charge the battery. Inspection was done last week. One bulb was replaced and the differential gear oil was changed.
                      Last edited by 79lincolnlover; 07-12-2020, 05:29 PM.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

How's the A/C? It ain't a Lincoln unless that works
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My 79 Town Coupe could chill beer. So cold... 4.5 lbs of R12 and a huge compressor.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            How's the A/C? It ain't a Lincoln unless that works
                            The a/c hasn't worked since I took ownership (June '08) and I'm not gonna worry about it.
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

two problems in one day

I drove a friend uptown (in the pouring rain) to run an errand. We loaded an a/c unit into the backseat. As I went to turn the car around, the steering was tough and the brakes were weak! Drove slowly to Canadian Tire (store was a 5 min drive away) and bought two small jugs of power steering fluid. Topped up the fluid before heading back to my friend's place. Took the scenic route to avoid after school traffic and big hills. After we ate some pizza and brought the a/c unit inside, I topped up the fluid and drove home (next street over) and found a spot away from the water pooled in the center of the parking lot. My '79 has been reliable since it was last serviced earlier this year, so I'm thankful that these issues didn't pop up until now. I've been saving money for a rainy day
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I’ve found power steering leaks to be pretty cheap on parts to fix, although sometimes difficult to get to. Usually an o-ring or shaft seal on the box or pump. If you have a quiet pump, hopefully it can be resealed. Reman pumps are a toss up as to noisy or quiet.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X