No announcement yet.

My 1979 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s one problem. Your car is Hydroboost, so your power assist brakes run off the power steering pump.

Hopefully it’s just a new line needed.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      It’s one problem. Your car is Hydroboost, so your power assist brakes run off the power steering pump.

Hopefully it’s just a new line needed.
      Really?

I though hydroboost was reserved for diesels and "lacking space" engine bays.
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-03-2020, 09:01 AM. Reason: speeeeelin'
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah.. I'd be surprised to see that set up in a barge. Not that I've ever looked closely at one but that would be a new one for me.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My 79 Lincoln Versailles had hydroboost. Really don't know why. It had 4 wheel disc brakes, and desired axle ratio, probably the most desired parts of the car.

Comment

Yes barges were hydroboost. Lose your power steering pump and hello manual brakes.

In my 79 I lost the belt cruising along at 80. It was no fun to stop at all!
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Ya learn something new everyday. So even the Mercury and Ford stuffs were hydroboost? If not, how do those stop compared to the Lincolns?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                My 79 Lincoln Versailles had hydroboost. Really don't know why. It had 4 wheel disc brakes, and desired axle ratio, probably the most desired parts of the car.
                The Lincoln Versailles 1977-1980 was the fancy Ford Granada or Mercury Monarch.

Comment

Yep. It was supposed to compete with the Cadillac Seville but failed miserably by sales comparison. I can't understand why that worked anyway, to sell a premium car built from an economy platform at a price point higher than the ones sold on the full size, non economy car platform. Both look like shit and are cramped on the inside by comparison to their full size brethren in my opinion. No F'n way I'd have bought either one when I could have had the supreme Continental Town Car or Fleetwood Brougham for less.

Comment

There's a salvage yard I really miss going to in Sunset, TX that got a '79 Versailles in last year. They posted about it on their Facebook page and within minutes someone was asking about the 9" rear. Sure enough, next time I visited there (which was also the last before we moved) the rear had been pulled. They sold it for $650. The car was nice and definitely could have been put back on the road. But some idiot decided to pay $650 for a 40+ year-old disc brake rear end when you could get Mustang rear disc brake kits for less than $500 now.
                    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I have the last of my Lincoln Versailles spare parts on eBay now. Waiting for those niche Lincoln buyers....

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Yep. It was supposed to compete with the Cadillac Seville but failed miserably by sales comparison. I can't understand why that worked anyway, to sell a premium car built from an economy platform at a price point higher than the ones sold on the full size, non economy car platform. Both look like shit and are cramped on the inside by comparison to their full size brethren in my opinion. No F'n way I'd have bought either one when I could have had the supreme Continental Town Car or Fleetwood Brougham for less.
                        Gonna take this to another thread in OTB.
                        Past Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          I remember guys in the 80s talking about those 9” disc brake Versailles rear ends. They have been highly desirable since inception it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                            I remember guys in the 80s talking about those 9” disc brake Versailles rear ends. They have been highly desirable since inception it seems.
                            The leaf spring perches are the exact same distance apart as early Mustangs. It was an easy way to get a 9" disc brake rear in your classic Mustang back when the Versailles was more common. But now, there are plenty of kits available that are better than 40+ year-old brakes.
                            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              I drove a friend uptown (in the pouring rain) to run an errand. We loaded an a/c unit into the backseat. As I went to turn the car around, the steering was tough and the brakes were weak! Drove slowly to Canadian Tire (store was a 5 min drive away) and bought two small jugs of power steering fluid. Topped up the fluid before heading back to my friend's place. Took the scenic route to avoid after school traffic and big hills. After we ate some pizza and brought the a/c unit inside, I topped up the fluid and drove home (next street over) and found a spot away from the water pooled in the center of the parking lot. My '79 has been reliable since it was last serviced earlier this year, so I'm thankful that these issues didn't pop up until now. I've been saving money for a rainy day
                              The steering gear has been replaced. I ordered the part from Rock Auto.
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X