My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
    whats the difference from that and the one you're selling? they look the same
    Old:

New:

Mine now has a nice smooth shot going into the tb and the air box is a bit bigger and has a bigger mass air flow meter (which does not matter because i am not mass air)......oh and about 280 dollars worth of difference compared to the one I am selling.

Originally posted by packman View Post
    Nice!!! Which reminds me that I got to get a couple new bolts for the fender braces.

Packman
    Thanks!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Upgraded Battery Cables

Upgraded the battery cables today. The old cables werent original but they sure were skimpy so I wanted make the juice flow easier.

Above you see the new positive cable with the old negative cable and the beginnings of a new negative cable.

New and old negative cable

The positive cable with the new and old negative

And the new fat ass cables installed!

And and old view for comparison:

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

wow they were skimpy...what gauge were the old/ are the new do you know?
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I don't know what the before and after gauge of the wires are, but what I do know is they went from super skinny to pretty thick.
          ~David~

Comment

nice little mod, right there. so vics DID come with tye downs....

never noticed you had '79 tails-looks good! how hard were they to do? i found a set for 64 bucks, they really clean up the shape of the rear. or at least they make the blob look great

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
              nice little mod, right there. so vics DID come with tye downs....

never noticed you had '79 tails-looks good! how hard were they to do? i found a set for 64 bucks, they really clean up the shape of the rear. or at least they make the blob look great
              Thanks!

Not hard at all to install the taillights. They mount exactly the same as the originals. I believe you have to remove the entire 1/4 panel extension that houses the taillights so you can access the nuts that hold the taillights onto the 1/4 panel extension. The nuts holding the taillight to the 1/4 panel extension may be a bit rusty so before you have at it and break something you don't want to I would suggest spraying them down with some penetrating lubricant.
              ~David~

Comment

Headlight Relay Upgrade

Today I upgraded my headlights by installing a relay harness so the headlight switch does not have to handle the load of my headlights.

This was the diagram I used to install my relays:

And this was my little note sheet telling me what wire was which and where to land them:

I started out by fabing up a relay box to hold the two relays required to upgrade the headlights power.

As a box I used the fender relay cover I had left over from swapping out my inner fender to the 90/91 and up style:

The relays I had were not large enough to fit snug in the relay box so I used some thick spongie weatherstripping I had to take up some room:

And by adding some electrical tape around the relays they then were very snug in their box:

Then I made up the headlight wire harness that accepts the wires from the headlight switch then spits them back out to the headlights...I used trailer wire:

After I installed the grounds:

Then the power:

Now that I had the entire harness built, it was time to go and install it. Like an idiot I did not take a before pic but just run out to you car and turn on the lights and that will be your before. BTW I took the picture with the car off.

I started by mounting my heavy duty fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse and I connected it to the starter solenoid:

Then I mounted my relay box to my drivers side inner fender below my air box for a complete factory look:

Then I started connecting the headlight wires to the relay harness I made.

Here are all the headlight wires connected together with blue heat shrinked connections the red wire with black stripes is the low beam wire and the green wire with the black stripes is the high beam wire:

Below is all the wires connected to the relays. I grounded the relay just above my washer fluid reservoir (which you can just see in the above photo):

And power was ran through convoluted tubing through my core support, for the stealth look over to my fuse holder:

And here are some random pictures of the complete install:

Low beams:

High beams:

Took me 2 ½ hours to complete and it was totally free
                ~David~

Comment

Wow you did doing a great work!!!!!
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                  1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                  1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

so what is the benifit with the relays? i like how you just dident hack the whole deal, nice job

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_MarkVI View Post
                      Wow you did doing a great work!!!!!
                      Thanks.

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      so what is the benifit with the relays? i like how you just dident hack the whole deal, nice job
                      By utilizing the relays my headlight switch will no longer supply the power to the headlights. So my headlight switch may live long and stress free from now on. And by having the headlights directly powered by the battery/ starter solenoid they shine brighter!

And thank you. I do try to do everything to the best of my abilities.
                      ~David~

Comment

now i reeeeeally need to do the relay, looks good!
                        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Thanks
                          ~David~

Comment

Daniel Stern Flasher Mod

Today I completed the Daniel Stern marker flash mod. Below are two threads I used to figure out how to do it and big ups for Pete on finding this cool mod out!

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5848

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ighlight=stern

Its really cool looking and super easy to do! AND it only took an hour to complete.

Here are the diagrams I made up surrounding the install:

It as simple as cutting two ground wires and just redirecting them to the flasher signals.

Here is a video of the completed install along with my headlight relay results. I even think I threw on my fog lights because a bunch of people like them in that location

Video

After watching the video I noticed my lights blink really fast....shrug....
                            ~David~

Comment

hmmm neato! yeah it is flashing really fast...you look so shady with your cap on LOL
                              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I think my flasher is toast. It does not even make sounds inside the car. But when the hazards or on I hear the chime.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X