My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
    where ya get the strikers for the tudor?
    They are not tudor specific. I just bought two (2) door lock strikers from http://www.foxresto.com/

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
    weatherstripping to go around what? The only stuff I've seen supposedly is only good for the trunk.
    Trunk weatherstripping. According to Scott, Fox Mustang hatchback weatherstripping is the ticket so that is what I purchased.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice! Mine is barely still attatched. Shower us with pics when done.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Trunk Weatherstripping and Door Striker Install

Today I installed my new trunk weatherstripping and my new door strikers.

My old trunk weatherstripping was really flat and had no more poof to it. I tried to revive it a couple of months ago by shoving some string in it. It worked well but in the process I created tears in the brittle weatherstripping and I had to repair it with black silicone. The new weatherstripping is for 79 to 93 hatchback mustangs, but it works perfect for our trunks. It looks exactly the same as the original one I removed. It is not even short, matter of fact you have 6 extra inches of material after you trim it to size.

My old weatherstripping. Here you can see that it was not the correct length (anymore) and you can see the string I placed in it to bring it new life for a couple of months:

Some pictures of the torn and repaired with black silicone areas:

Here is a picture comparing the new and the old:

And here is the old one removed:

Once I removed it I cleaned the channel it sits in because it was dirty:

Then I installed the new weatherstripping. It went on nice and tight:

Here is where I cut it to length. You can see the extra left over:

It looks brand new directly made for the car. I am very happy with the quality of it and the look.

Then I installed the door strikers. My old ones were grooved and it made the door flop when going over bumps. I bought these for 83 to 89 Mustang doors. They are exactly what I needed. The door closes perfectly and everything is really nice and tight. While I was at it I also lubed the door lock mechanism in the door shell as well as the door handles because they would squeak every time I would use them. Ahh...nice to not hear that anymore.

To make sure the new striker went in the same location I masked off the striker bolt with tape so when I remove it I do not lose the location. Beware If you mess with that bolt without marking where it was you will have fun time getting the door aligned correctly.

Here is the P.side striker masked off:

Striker removed:

New striker installed:

Then peel off the tape you used to mark the location of the bolt and transfer it to the other striker bolt so you can remove that one too.

Tape removed:

Tape applied on drivers side:

And new striker installed:

And all of the old crap replaced on the car:

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Very nice work David!
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
          1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Thanks Jason. It sure is nice having everything on a car work as it should. Little by little everything is being replaced and upgraded. Once done it will be one hell of a clean and perfectly functioning vehicle.
            ~David~

Comment

Oh yeah your car looks awesome when its all done. My GMQ having problem with Driver's door lock was stuck, its won't able to lock the door. I was worry someone can easy open the driver's door.

So, how to remove the door panel? How many bolts in the door panel? Easy?

You can PM to me how to do it to fix. Or post it here...its doesn't matter to me David.
              1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
              1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
              1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

I will PM you the process.
                ~David~

Comment

New Cowl to Hood Weatherstripping

My old cowl to hood weatherstripping was all dried up and nasty and probably not doing it's job whatever it's job maybe so I asked my dad to grab me a newer piece from a vehicle (Crown Victoria) from work and he did!

Below you can see the old one all cruddy still installed on the cowl:

Next is a picture comparing the newer (on the left) to the old original weatherstripping (on the right):

Here is a shot of the nice big piece my dad brought me next to the original piece:

And finally the new one installed all nice and puffy:

If anyone is looking for some cowl to hood seal/weatherstripping it looks identical to the trunk weatherstripping, so just purchase some trunk weatherstripping and you would be in business.
                  ~David~

Comment

Any Ideas on what rear end i could get for my 91 that is posi? im looking for a junkyard special, cause i just get the one tire fires going on right now. Nice car, it will look very sharp when done.
                    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                      Any Ideas on what rear end i could get for my 91 that is posi? im looking for a junkyard special, cause i just get the one tire fires going on right now. Nice car, it will look very sharp when done.
                      I have not a clue, but i know for sure you can pop open the differential covers of panthers and if you see a big s clip there you have your trac-loc/posi! I was lucky enough to have my dad put the trac-loc in when he owned it. And thanks you for the complement.
                      ~David~

Comment

91GrandMarquis, look on the door tag for the axle code of Panthers in junkyards, and compare it to the chart in GoodSamaritan's signature. As a basic rule though, if you see an axle code that is a letter, not a number, it's a trac-loc. No promises that it won't need a rebuild though, of course. K-codes are the holy grail of production Panther rear ends, with a trac-loc and 3.55 rear gears.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

91GrandMarquis, look on the door tag for the axle code of Panthers in junkyards, and compare it to the chart in GoodSamaritan's signature. As a basic rule though, if you see an axle code that is a letter, not a number, it's a trac-loc. No promises that it won't need a rebuild though, of course. K-codes are the holy grail of production Panther rear ends, with a trac-loc and 3.55 rear gears.
                          what he said, but they are hard to find. Ive been looking for a K code rear end ever since Ive had my car.

Dave do all of these updates make you the GMN weather stripping Guru? lol
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                            Dave do all of these updates make you the GMN weather stripping Guru? lol
                            No. Not yet at least. I still have to find out the proper window channel moldings as well as body to door weatherstripping to hold that crown. I do have a really good lead on some window channel moldings atm but I just have to build up the courage to purchase them. I just like having an all around nice car even the smallest minute details matter with me regarding form and function. I enjoy attempting to make the car as good as new again and hope that people can follow in restoring a lot of the little things I have accomplished thus far.
                            ~David~

Comment

I know it is a little more than i wanted to pay but i found an eaton posi diff that will fit in a ford 8.8 for 489.99 im going to do some searching and more investigation to see if it will fit but heres the link. http://www.jegs.com/i/Eaton/362/19588-010/10002/-1 Any ideas on if that will / wont work? I honestly know very little about rear ends.
                              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                                I know it is a little more than i wanted to pay but i found an eaton posi diff that will fit in a ford 8.8 for 489.99 im going to do some searching and more investigation to see if it will fit but heres the link. http://www.jegs.com/i/Eaton/362/19588-010/10002/-1 Any ideas on if that will / wont work? I honestly know very little about rear ends.
                                Seems like a lot of money for a limited slip. That one is for 31 spline axles though, i believe we have 28 spline.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                                1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                                1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Working...
                                X