No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought an NOS shift lever. Seemed easier If it had been more than the 20 bucks I paid, I wouldn't have it though. If you want to feel better, the NOS one has a small crack in the chrome and its still never been in a car. I've had it sitting here for a few months next to the laptop.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I may just peel the chrome off and do some custom paint job.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I should change mine too, it actually scratches up my fingers and the palm of my hand a bit where the chrome is peeling so bad.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pleasure spiked with pain?

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Fire Extinguisher Mount is completed!

Are you sick and tired of having that fire extinguisher flop around on the floorboards? Are you done with having your projects burn to the ground because you cannot find that extinguisher? Well if you are I have the solution for you! Here is my under seat back mounted fire extinguisher....

Problem:

Solution:

Installed:

Cars interior is still in pieces. Been months without rain so I don;t want to button anything up just to have it get wet again by the leak.....so final pics of seat in car will wait...
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

nice... does it attach via the rear floor bolts?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                nice... does it attach via the rear floor bolts?
                Nope. Had to drill two holes for it to mount to the seat frame
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I keep mine in the trunk of the vic. I should put one in the 88, but... meh... beater gonna beat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well the snow has subsided and the rain had fallen substantially yesterday and I have a completely dry floor board. Booya!

Now that I definitively know that the leak has been fixed I put my interior back together. Before the carpet was laid back down I went out and picked up another 20' paired RCA cable so I can run some subs in the future if I choose to do so.

As I have been getting older and more aggravated at tearing the damned interior apart I have begun thread chasing and anti-seizing all bolts and bolt holes in an effort to make the next time a breeze. It takes a bit of extra time but will save time and aggravation in the future. I am looking into purchasing a bench mounted grinder with a wire wheel to clean up bolt threads as well.

The interior went back all nice and tidy and here is a pic of the new addition...The custom under seat fire extinguisher mount.

Next item I want to tackle is something that Monty aka Justin has warned everyone about years and years ago; dried out seam sealer behind the taillight housings. I know mine is dried out as I can push the seam sealer from the back side and see it move as a unit on the front. I have all of the materials to do it I just need to build up the courage. At the same time I may whip up a custom amplifier mount since I have to remove the current mount to gain access to the bolts securing the taillight housing...Time will tell.
                    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM.
                    ~David~

Comment

I use one of those drill mounted wire wheels and mount the bolt in the vice (or the drill in the vice... depends on my mood)

Comment

My dad was doing that the other day Jason and I thought that was petty smart. Definitely an option....though I like excuses for new tools. Considering purchasing one and then purchasing a stand for it as I would not be allowed to use it in the garage anyways.......have to drag it outside and wire away.
                        ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Speedometer was saying 105 GPS was saying 94 or so. I as not going that fast for an extended period though so I don;t know if there is a lag or not in the reading. Around town though 35 on the speedo is 33 on the gps. All approximate readings.
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          so about 10% fast, or 1mph for every 10. Maybe try a 21? Dunno. Hate to suggest just winging parts at it, but its either that or you find a shop that can calibrate speedometers so you can have yours verified. Trouble is, if it checks out you're still stuck with it reading wrong.
                          Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          I will probably try the 21er next lol. Little thinks like this irk me to no end. I thought I have heard that the 21er die prematurely though...whatever I'll give it a shot. I will have a whole stash of these by the time I am done with this!

Drove the car today with the 21 tooth gear. Still not accurate but consistently inaccurate so I will call it a win. 35 on speedo is 30 on GPS, 45 is 40, 55 is 50 65 is 60 etc etc all the way up to 105 on the speedo. BTW that car is SCREAMING at 4K+ at that speed......

Next up is making a metal mount for the amplifier and attacking the dry seam sealer by the taillight panels.
                          ~David~

Comment

Interesting. This is with 3.55s and 28'' tires? Also, the engine is not screaming.... its the sound of sweet music playing

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If its a fixed amount of speed off, that sounds like a problem within the speedometer. A gearing problem shows up as some percentage out of whack.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                                Interesting. This is with 3.55s and 28'' tires? Also, the engine is not screaming.... its the sound of sweet music playing
                                3.73 and currently 215/65/16 tires. To tell you the truth with all of the sound deadening and the stereo I have I dont hear it much. I looked down at the tach though and it was WAY up there.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                If its a fixed amount of speed off, that sounds like a problem within the speedometer. A gearing problem shows up as some percentage out of whack.
                                I hear ya on that one. No clue whats happening here especially considering that the other speedo gears I have tried made the speed off as a percentage. As long as this stays the same I will be content with it.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X