• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
    Looking good as always.
    Thank you.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    All shiny black plastic. It includes the lenses for the cluster, the tripminder, and some of the idiot lights as well. Its not original either, the one in the car was missing the clear lens over the cluster. I have one from an 85 with "unleaded fuel only" printed on the lens. I don't expect I'll ever find a "diesel fuel only" lens.
    Yeah. Long shot.

Originally posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Looks great Vic!!
    Thanks

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    Looking at your steering wheel leather wrap. Did you take it to a shop or install a kit for it? Need something along those lines for my Rustang project.
    I installed it myself. It is a wheelskin cover. For the little use the car gets it has not aged well. It is deteriorating. I put under a 1000 miles a year on the car. Not very impressed.

Original install thread back from 2011:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...kin#post627168
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have had installed a Mr. Gasket shifter boot in my car originally for my 5 speed swap and was never quite happy with the way it fit in the car or the finish it had. It was always very stiff and the top plate was not the true hurst logo with red showing through that I had wanted.

Original install:

In time I came across a rusty hurst logo insert that I sand blasted and powdercoated chrome to install into the car and that held me over for a bit. I wanted more. I wanted it like real chrome/polished so I set out looking for hurst super boot kits. Gosh they are expensive new!

Boot with powdercoated chrome hurst trim:

I found a decent condition one on ebay and scooped it up ASAP. Not only is the hurst super boot made of a more pliable rubber, the corners are slightly more squared off and it fit better overall in the car…OH and it has the shiny chrome trim in the center that I wanted. So so happy with the results. The only way it could be better is if I purchase a new one…NOT happening. This will do.

The real deal boot and all:

The old MR. Gasket boot removed:

Attached Files
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Noice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Devil is definitely in the details. Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Noice.
            Originally posted by packman View Post
            Devil is definitely in the details. Very nice!
            Thanks. I am very happy. When I was originally looking into shifter boots I came across the Mr. Gaskets ones that looked similar so I picked up one...further research revealed the Hurst Super boot is nicer.

Now to heal the hell up and install those rear adtr control arms.
            ~David~

Comment

A lot of the Mr Gasket stuff is a bit meh quality. Seems like cheap knock-offs of the real deal.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A lot of the Mr Gasket stuff is a bit meh quality. Seems like cheap knock-offs of the real deal.
                Yes. I am getting that vibe from their products. Live and learn...I now learned that I should have not picked up two spare Mr. Gasket super boot knock offs. lol Now I have three in total..for future projects I guess?
                ~David~

Comment

I got a Mr Gasket T-stat housing from a defunct performance parts store for the 351W. A week after installing it; the chrome started peeling off; and I haven't even run the engine yet.

Comment

Seen Toms ad for a factory Ford cassette tape organizer aka “cassetter” and looked into picking one up myself. At first I was just drawn to having such an obscure thing but then decided to see if it would work with my car.

The box and extra parts and piece after the install:

I recently installed a factory cassette deck and was utilizing an ancient CVS cassette tape organizer that held 15 tapes. This new one gives me room to grow if I decide to as I believe it can hold up to 18 cassettes. The rear of the unit is spring loaded in each cassette slot for some shock absorption.

CVS organizer:

Now I had to decide where I wanted to install it. Ford recommends under the dash someplace but I didn’t want it to be seen or potentially in the way. Turns out it fits right at home underneath the drivers seat! I got this inspiration from my Mercedes which has a cubby under both front seats.

All I had to was make up one tab and the other three mounts just fit right into place with some self tapping screws into the seat frame. I went for a simple installation.

Tab fabricobbled up on my ryobi bandsaw:

Four holes (and one slipped drill bit hole ) ready to accept the casseter:

Cassetter accepted on makeshift workbench:

After it was all mounted up I sourced its power and ground from the power seats. Ford instructions say to utilize a constant hot source (I guess so thieves can see what tapes you have in the dark) so I did. Was finally a simple wring job for me as everything was right in reach.

One can faintly see the two extremely dim lights in the lid:

Once installed into the car everything fit so damn well. Sitting in the seat you don’t even notice it is there (which is what I wanted) but can easily flip the lid open and grab a tape (forced shuffle with albums ) Works for me.

Seat view..dont see it at all!:

Seat all the way forward..notice how seat does not contact shift boot either for those wondering:

And seat positioned all the way back...a more normal position for me:

Blends right in which is what I like:

Attached Files
                    ~David~

Comment

Nice! I see you have some open slots; do you want my copy of "Suzy Bogguss greatest hits"? Fell out from behind the glove compartment of my '91 Ranger when I did the heater core. I don't have a working cassette deck anymore; otherwise I'd keep it

Comment

Neat. I kinda like tapes not being "naked" but honestly the tape cases usually got busted anyway. They are a lot more durable than CD cases but neither are what I'd call robust. Not sure what that shitty clear plastic is but it doesn't take much to crack it.

then again I have a reel to reel deck, tape doesn't get much more naked than that.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The attention to detail you have is fantastic.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I spy lots of good tapes/bands in there.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                              Nice! I see you have some open slots; do you want my copy of "Suzy Bogguss greatest hits"? Fell out from behind the glove compartment of my '91 Ranger when I did the heater core. I don't have a working cassette deck anymore; otherwise I'd keep it
                              Thanks.

I had to look her up. She is country. I enjoy country.

Neat. I kinda like tapes not being "naked" but honestly the tape cases usually got busted anyway. They are a lot more durable than CD cases but neither are what I'd call robust. Not sure what that shitty clear plastic is but it doesn't take much to crack it.

then again I have a reel to reel deck, tape doesn't get much more naked than that.
                              Yes and yes about the cases. I think they should be safe inside of the cassetter though.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              The attention to detail you have is fantastic.
                              Thanks. If only I had it from day one with this car. Always find things I would have done differently.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              I spy lots of good tapes/bands in there.
                              All from my parents stash of tapes. Picked out some of the best ones.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                ...All from my parents stash of tapes. Picked out some of the best ones.
                                Reminds me that when I was in middle & high school equipped with a walkman and huge headphones, I'd peruse my dad's stash of CD's. Having similar taste in music saved me lots of money back in those days.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X