My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But power shifting is fun!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I understand, many broken t5's in my past LOL

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Your advice of being slow and deliberate with shifting into 5th gear was perfect. No issues whatsoever on this last drive. Appreciate that.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

A pic from this morning after a wipe down with optimums wash and wax on the paint and glass and 303 aerospace protectant on the vinyl top.

Attached Files
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I called it a "Mercury" with my last post.. I am not aging well, especially my intellect.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              I called it a "Mercury" with my last post.. I am not aging well, especially my intellect.

It's ok, we love you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                I haven’t tried. I am really trying to make it last and I am still learning how to shift so I am shifting slowly.
                Get a beater and trash it whilst learning to powershift. When you're feeling confident, then have fun with the CV. I have a friend with a heavily mod'd '98 Cobra, but could only pull off 14 sec ET's because he couldn't and wouldn't powershift it. I gave him the same advice.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                  It's ok, we love you anyway.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                    Get a beater and trash it whilst learning to powershift. When you're feeling confident, then have fun with the CV. I have a friend with a heavily mod'd '98 Cobra, but could only pull off 14 sec ET's because he couldn't and wouldn't powershift it. I gave him the same advice.
                    Guys at the track used to put me in their cars and be confused that I picked up a tenth or two. The beater idea is a good one, if you are afraid to break it, you'll never shift quickly.

Also, the feeling of a good launch & clean powershifts is the most fun part of drag racing. (imho)

Comment

I got to drive a 97 Cobra with a Vortech. That thing smacked the slicks HARD on every shift, picked up almost 4 tenths in the eighth.
                      Last edited by mitymerc; 06-01-2020, 01:52 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                        Guys at the track used to put me in their cars and be confused that I picked up a tenth or two. The beater idea is a good one, if you are afraid to break it, you'll never shift quickly.

Also, the feeling of a good launch & clean powershifts is the most fun part of drag racing. (imho)
                        If you have the time a member here by the name of MR.Blue (or something awfully close) has a youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/50tussin and would definitely entertain you. He is all about the 1/8 mile and powershifting his clapped out mustangs. Very fun and down to earth guy to watch. I am concerned though as there has been no activity from his youtube channel since this covid stuff started. Regardless his content is fantastically substandard entertainment.
                        ~David~

Comment

I'd be the guy that would lose a few tenths because I dislike the notion of breaking stuff. I can and often have driven without even using the clutch by rev matching the engine. Its not exactly a rapid gear change process but when you drive things with clapped out synchros its the only way to do a gear shift without a "grind it till you find it" situation.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Clutchless shifting is fun & takes skill.

Comment

or just a need to get around for several days with a busted clutch cable until payday.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that is a professional way to shift for large trucks. I have no manual vehicles now but when I do clutches are for 1st gear.
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X