No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That became my plan when I get my CV running. I was going to park the car during the late Fall and throughout the Winter. I figured that once a month I would start the car up and let it idle for a bit; then let it sit until the next start-up interval. Since my Mom has the Explorer as her daily driver; the CV became the fair weather car; and for the time being, it won't be driving in the rain until I replace the wiper motor.

Comment

SO I finally acquired a hard to find part for the car. NOS Passengers side headlamp bezel.

Been looking for a couple years for reasonably priced ones and finally got it. Guy had at least two. One chrome face and painted buckets as well as one full chrome one. I picked up the drivers side chrome face and painted bucket one because he did not want to spilt the pair. Now I have one NOS set of full chrome headlamp bezels and one NOS set of chrome face painted bucket version with an extra NOS drivers side chrome face painted bucket version.....All to go along with my three sets of NOS 79' clear parking lamp lenses (full sets of four).

The passengers side headlamp bezel was the final piece I was waiting on before swapping out my front and rear bumpers for the NOS fully chrome smoothie types I picked up through the years. Front one is a NOS 79 piece!

Still waiting on doing the 5speed swap. Again, I have all the bits and bobs and parts and pieces. Just need to do it. Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and bellhousing are actually in my room reminding me everyday to get it done. lol
      Attached Files
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

what do you mean "painted bucket" bezels?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          what do you mean "painted bucket" bezels?
          Above in the photo you can see a full chrome bezel on the left of the screen and then two chrome faced with silver paint in the buckets. Both are original ford pieces. Just unsure of the exact reason for full chrome versus half chrome with paint.

OH also have a NOS 1979 to 1981 grille for the car. Been searching for a NOS 1982 one but no dice.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ah, I see. Never honestly paid that much attention to them. Either that or most of them have half-shot chrome by now that you can't tell from silver paint.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hell of a run. stoked to hear about he 5spd progress, im in a similar point in my build

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              If any body happens to want the remnants of the derale kit (I just used the oil cooler) let me know and we can work something out. I have no need for it.
              id be interested. i have an og cooler and lines but couldnt get the adapter off the block at the junkyard.
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                hell of a run. stoked to hear about he 5spd progress, im in a similar point in my build

id be interested. i have an og cooler and lines but couldnt get the adapter off the block at the junkyard.
                Okay deal. I would just need to locate them again. The bits and pieces may be at my work. Currently been out of work for a week. Progress on fun things have been going on during this time home though.

Once I find them I will get back with you. If it takes some time feel free to kick me in the butt in case I forgot. Dont know when I will be back at work to check there.

once I do find it I will post some pictures up for you to see if it is what you want/need.

EDIT. Did you build a pedal assembly yet? Also this item is a MUST if using a cable set up...the thing around the firewall adjuster:

Purchased from Pier:

Make sure to get the version like I have.
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-27-2020, 08:48 PM.
                ~David~

Comment

I'm down to the pedal assembly, clutch cable, and clutch. All the other bits are fully ready. Just finished an overhaul of a 96 disc swap axle, so the t5 is about to come apart for a rebuild now.

Did you buy that pedal assembly pre-made?

EDIT: I see now that the video was using the newer vic pedals.
                  Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 03-27-2020, 09:28 PM.
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I made that pedal assembly above in the photo I posted..more about it starts here:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post810949

I only purchased the heavy metal clutch cable firewall adjuster mount from him. TOTALLY worth it. I dont see how it can be done cleanly without it.

There are things I would have done differently if I were to do it again...just minor positioning of things..mainly clutch pivot tube placement.
                    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-27-2020, 09:36 PM.
                    ~David~

Comment

my issue at the moment is sourcing the fox pedal assembly. the rest of the hard to find bits ive already got luckily. im gonna toy with pedal placement in mine as well. hoping to fit everything cleanly.

Comment

The one I fabricated above fits damn well.

The only thing I would have done differently is position the clutch pivot tube more inboard by at least a half an inch. I think there is room for it to move inboard even more than that. The more inboard the better.

Issue I had was firewall adjuster screwed all the way into car and clutch quadrant contacting the adjuster due to my positioning of the clutch pivot tube in the pedal assembly being close towards firewall.

I built this all comparing to a fox mustang one off of my car two or so years ago. For it to fit as good as it does I am not complaining.

Fix was cutting an inch of the adjuster off (maximum motorsports firewall adjuster has a TON of throw in it so an inch out of it was NBD) and playing with maximum motorsports clutch cable spacer..a little spacer that goes over cable end and essentially shortens up the physical inner cable.

I recommend a maximum motorsports clutch cable. The overall length is longer which allows you to route the cable out the firewall, under the oil filter between the oil pan and chassis and directly into the bell housing.

If i haven't said it already pick up a double hook quadrant. It was needed in my application.

My cruise deactivate switch as well as the neutral safety switch fits easily between the computer and the pedal assembly. You even have enough room to easily remove the connectors for it.
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-28-2020, 07:33 PM.
                        ~David~

Comment

I did some pretty crazy trickery to get it to work, but too the 79ish arm, flipped it over, and used it to actuate the clutch master cylinder.
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I just looked over your thread...and after seeing the placement of the clutch cylinder in the engine bay I totally understand how you accomplished everything.

In stock mustang form the clutch pedal pushes down and the clutch quadrant pulls away from the firewall.

In your modified form you flipped the quadrant mount upside down (or lowered it a bunch) so now it pushes against the firewall.

This push action sends hydraulic pressure to your slave cylinder that then pushes against the clutch fork to disengage the clutch.

Your slave cylinder is mounted behind the tranny to bell housing mounts using that black bracket and pushes against the clutch fork.

Way cool. Totally get it.

Pics from Toms thread for referencing:

Attached Files
                            ~David~

Comment

Hmmm.

Attached Files
                              ~David~

Comment

Do you guys have hydraulic clutch setups?

Comment

Working...
                                X