My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    or just a need to get around for several days with a busted clutch cable until payday.
    Begs the question, if the clutch cable is busted, how the hell do you get the vehicle started and what do you do if you have to stop?

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    that is a professional way to shift for large trucks. I have no manual vehicles now but when I do clutches are for 1st gear.
    Well yeah, the flywheel and input shaft and all that are super heavy so there is a longer time window to get the shift right, not to mention they don't have synchros. If it's a light duty transmission and if everything is in good shape, don't do that lol. You're only going to burn out the synchros more. At most, I'd rev match going 1-2 with an M50DR1, and only when going super slowly.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I'd be the guy that would lose a few tenths because I dislike the notion of breaking stuff. I can and often have driven without even using the clutch by rev matching the engine. Its not exactly a rapid gear change process but when you drive things with clapped out synchros its the only way to do a gear shift without a "grind it till you find it" situation.
      I had a friend that said that to me quite awhile ago. If he absolutely needed to win a race, he would run the RPMs up past the shift point and bang the gears. Didn't tell me if that made a positive difference.

Comment

shut the engine off, jam it in first, start the engine. I'm sure thats not wonderful for the starter but if the engine runs decently it will catch and go pretty quickly. This was something built long before safety switches, so it had no issues with being started in gear with no clutch.

You can pop them into neutral without much fuss, and with practice you can rev match for downshifting. I won't lie and tell you its easy or a lot of fun but it can be done if there isn't any choice in the matter.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used to drive em home broken. One time I lost 3rd at the track, went 1, 2, 4, 5 till I lost 4th as well.
          1 gear, 2nd geeeeaaaaarrrrrr, fifth. Then 2nd went away LOL. Still made it home.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Did that with that POS Suzuki I used to have. Lost 2nd and 1st was a granny gear and 3rd was hard to reach from 1st. By the time I was able to get it to the shop, I was 200miles over the factory warranty (had an extended warranty and ended up with a new trans for $200 - worked out for me)... but driving by ramping out 1st gear to lug 3rd was rough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some tire chirpin' and spinnin' for you guys:

Chrips the 1-2 no problem spins even if you stay on it. Still a noob.

And some pics:

Attached Files
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Keep up the good work!
                Did I hear a bark on the first 2/3 shift?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Yes you did.

Also on the 5 4 down shift. But that is just drivetrain abuse at that point.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Even with double downshifts I never liked to make it bark.

Comment

Did an oil change, drained the PCV catch can and swapped in a new motorcraft IAC and coil in place of the old ones.

Coil was an MSD blaster coil I believe. It was showing signs of aging..visual aging...splitting epoxy and such so I ditched it for a motorcraft unit. Looks nicer in the bay to boot.

Found out the fan clutch has seen better days. HOT HOT HOT and it likes to spin too much for my liking. Off to rockauto I go.

EDIT..Any recommendations on fan clutch?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-25-2020, 11:14 AM.
                      ~David~

Comment

I used the police one on one of my fox cars. Supposed to cool better st lower rpms.
                        Last edited by mitymerc; 07-25-2020, 12:39 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                          I used the police one on one of my fox cars. Supposed to cool better st lower rpms.
                          Search under the 351 engine? Compatible like that?

EDIT
                          Not finding much variety on the panther chassis fan clutches.
                          Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-25-2020, 01:04 PM.
                          ~David~

Comment

You might get slightly better AC performance from a non-thermal since it will be engaged all the time at lower speed. Thermal clutches will drop out until they get hot enough.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lets say yours needs to be replaced. What are you purchasing?
                              ~David~

Comment

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...an+clutch,6812

There is 1 non thermal listed.

Comment

Working...
                                X