PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 243 of 243 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243
Results 4,841 to 4,854 of 4854

Thread: My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Quote Originally Posted by mitymerc View Post
    Guys at the track used to put me in their cars and be confused that I picked up a tenth or two. The beater idea is a good one, if you are afraid to break it, you'll never shift quickly.

Also, the feeling of a good launch & clean powershifts is the most fun part of drag racing. (imho)
    If you have the time a member here by the name of MR.Blue (or something awfully close) has a youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/50tussin and would definitely entertain you. He is all about the 1/8 mile and powershifting his clapped out mustangs. Very fun and down to earth guy to watch. I am concerned though as there has been no activity from his youtube channel since this covid stuff started. Regardless his content is fantastically substandard entertainment.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I'd be the guy that would lose a few tenths because I dislike the notion of breaking stuff. I can and often have driven without even using the clutch by rev matching the engine. Its not exactly a rapid gear change process but when you drive things with clapped out synchros its the only way to do a gear shift without a "grind it till you find it" situation.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Clutchless shifting is fun & takes skill.

10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

or just a need to get around for several days with a busted clutch cable until payday.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

that is a professional way to shift for large trucks. I have no manual vehicles now but when I do clutches are for 1st gear.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    or just a need to get around for several days with a busted clutch cable until payday.
    Begs the question, if the clutch cable is busted, how the hell do you get the vehicle started and what do you do if you have to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    that is a professional way to shift for large trucks. I have no manual vehicles now but when I do clutches are for 1st gear.
    Well yeah, the flywheel and input shaft and all that are super heavy so there is a longer time window to get the shift right, not to mention they don't have synchros. If it's a light duty transmission and if everything is in good shape, don't do that lol. You're only going to burn out the synchros more. At most, I'd rev match going 1-2 with an M50DR1, and only when going super slowly.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I'd be the guy that would lose a few tenths because I dislike the notion of breaking stuff. I can and often have driven without even using the clutch by rev matching the engine. Its not exactly a rapid gear change process but when you drive things with clapped out synchros its the only way to do a gear shift without a "grind it till you find it" situation.
    I had a friend that said that to me quite awhile ago. If he absolutely needed to win a race, he would run the RPMs up past the shift point and bang the gears. Didn't tell me if that made a positive difference.

shut the engine off, jam it in first, start the engine. I'm sure thats not wonderful for the starter but if the engine runs decently it will catch and go pretty quickly. This was something built long before safety switches, so it had no issues with being started in gear with no clutch.

You can pop them into neutral without much fuss, and with practice you can rev match for downshifting. I won't lie and tell you its easy or a lot of fun but it can be done if there isn't any choice in the matter.

I used to drive em home broken. One time I lost 3rd at the track, went 1, 2, 4, 5 till I lost 4th as well.
    1 gear, 2nd geeeeaaaaarrrrrr, fifth. Then 2nd went away LOL. Still made it home.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Did that with that POS Suzuki I used to have. Lost 2nd and 1st was a granny gear and 3rd was hard to reach from 1st. By the time I was able to get it to the shop, I was 200miles over the factory warranty (had an extended warranty and ended up with a new trans for $200 - worked out for me)... but driving by ramping out 1st gear to lug 3rd was rough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Some tire chirpin' and spinnin' for you guys:

Chrips the 1-2 no problem spins even if you stay on it. Still a noob.

And some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2960.jpg   IMG_2962.jpg   IMG_2963.jpg   IMG_2964.jpg  
    ~David~

Keep up the good work!
    Did I hear a bark on the first 2/3 shift?

Yes you did.

Also on the 5 4 down shift. But that is just drivetrain abuse at that point.
    ~David~

Even with double downshifts I never liked to make it bark.

Page 243 of 243 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243