No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little video with a couple neat photos and a sound bit or two of the rumble at idle on a quite Saturday Morning...

Attached Files
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This morning my dad and I installed all of the new ac components I have accumulated for the ac rebuild.

List includes new hoses (3) new compressor, new receiver drier orifice tube and condenser.

I flushed out the evaporator with a flush kit and after that was done we installed all of the new components as well as adding oil to the necessary ones and vacuumed out the system. It held near 30 inches of vacuum for over 30 minutes afterwards so we then started to add refrigerant.

I added roughly 44 ounces of refrigerant. That coupled with the oil added brings the system up to 51 ounces total...That is if you take into account the oil...if not I would need to add more r 134a. Seems to be working okay. Vent temps just touch 40 degrees.

I have to do some research to see if things are working correctly. I will say that the drier is getting VERY sweaty and so is one of the lines off of the compressor.

See video for low and high pressure readings with compressor engaged and not engaged.

I am just happy to be rid of the old leaky compressor and the ugly hoses.

After:

Compressor engaged:

Attached Files
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Given almost humidity around 50% and a warm day, sweaty lines aren’t going to be uncommon. That’s par for the course down here. If they were icing up, then I’d be concerned.

Pressure looks fairly normal as well for running at max cool if that’s what you had it at.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          Given almost humidity around 50% and a warm day, sweaty lines aren’t going to be uncommon. That’s par for the course down here. If they were icing up, then I’d be concerned.

Pressure looks fairly normal as well for running at max cool if that’s what you had it at.
          I was making mention of the sweaty lines as a positive sign of things working.

Pressure readings were taken while temp selector was at max cool and fan on low.

To be honest I was expecting better performance. I have yet to drive the car though.

This was simple at idle for a couple of hours with a fan in front of the condenser to prevent the car from overheating. Temps were just a hair over 210.
          ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            I was making mention of the sweaty lines as a positive sign of things working.

Pressure readings were taken while temp selector was at max cool and fan on low.

To be honest I was expecting better performance. I have yet to drive the car though.

This was simple at idle for a couple of hours with a fan in front of the condenser to prevent the car from overheating. Temps were just a hair over 210.
            Cool but not ice cold symptoms at idle?

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The readings are slightly low but not too far off. The biggest issue is the mechanical fan not being able to pull enough air through the condensor at idle. I bet it would cool down when driven. Though Im not fully convinced the fan cant pull enough air. Maybe someone should do some math to figure how much air gets pulled through the stock fan shroud and compare it to say a later panther with an electric fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The mechanical fan pulls more air when RPMS are over 2000 IIRC... The e-fan pulls more air at idle. I do know that my 93 is much better suited to the hot climate and crap traffic with the e-fan than the mechanical fan. The 88 I used to have, I did an e-fan conversion on as well and that one did better with the e-fan too (used cougar/contour/mystique v6 dual fan on that one). If the fan clutch is shot on a mechanical fan, it won't work for crap either. With the car up to temp, pop the hood and turn the engine off. If the fan freewheels, the clutch is shot. If it stops within a couple rotations, it's fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had a suspicion that was the case. I prefer the stock fan over an e fan for simplicity but if I need to go to an e fan once I get my ac up and running I will.

Comment

There's also the option of a small pusher fan out front controlled by the AC Clutch power. I'd run the fan relay off the power before the low pressure switch so the fan stays on and doesn't cycle with the compressor though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is a reason Ford added an electric auxiliary fan to the Panthers in 1995 that comes on with the AC or if the engine begins overheating. It is the same reason a lot of newer trucks use them. At idle, there simply is not enough airflow from an engine driven fan to keep them cool while running the AC.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        There's also the option of a small pusher fan out front controlled by the AC Clutch power. I'd run the fan relay off the power before the low pressure switch so the fan stays on and doesn't cycle with the compressor though.
                        That’s exactly how I have the wagon setup. Certainly helps.

My Cars:

Comment

Hmm thats not a bad idea. Ill look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Took the car on a 5 hour cruise. Air conditioning seemed to work flawlessly. It made me cold despite vent temps only dipping to ~50 degrees at max cold. Don't want to fret too much on the readings when it is making me cold so I will call it a win. I even had to turn it down at times.

Quick video with an idling walk around of the car.

When I got back from my drive I swapped out a lower radiator mount for a proper police spec one as I am running the larger police radiator as well as changed out my hood hinges for paint matched ones I painted over the winter. Just makes it look a bit cleaner having nice and shiny hood hinges that match the cars exterior finish.
                            Attached Files
                            ~David~

Comment

charge amount does not include oil.

if the compressor isn't cycling its probably about right though. I've taken to charging and pressure testing with a dime stuck between the throttle screw and the blade. That puts it around 1800 rpm or so, and you get a better idea of what its going to do at highway speed. I also run the blower at full go. You also want the drier to get cold enough to condense, otherwise there isn't enough in the system to fully flood the evaporator.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                charge amount does not include oil.

if the compressor isn't cycling its probably about right though. I've taken to charging and pressure testing with a dime stuck between the throttle screw and the blade. That puts it around 1800 rpm or so, and you get a better idea of what its going to do at highway speed. I also run the blower at full go. You also want the drier to get cold enough to condense, otherwise there isn't enough in the system to fully flood the evaporator.

If that’s the case then there is only 45ish ounces of Freon in the system. Compressor is not cycling a lot. Can be viewed in the video. May add more if it seems necessary
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X