No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a recent junkyard trip I found a set of those fancy flip up signature series Town Car 91-94? center armrests. They were so roached out though I did not grab them. This particular pair did have something interesting in it though...a car cell phone! The phone was missing (I think I would have grabbed that just for yucks) but I still grabbed the assembly as I thought I may be able to install it into my car and rest my cell phone (used for music while driving) in it with little to no modifications.

I got it home and removed the phone mount (four screws) and I simply used a hair ponytail band to hold phone in place. Will see how it works. The mount itself gets VERY VERY VERY close while shifting into fifth and reverse. Will see how bothersome it is once some actual street driving is done.

The roached out car...sunroof was open and everything was WET...this was at grebles u pull it (myerstown PA) if anyone was interested. There were two 1990 towncars there as well only mentioning it as they have some one year only parts people like:

Phone mount installed into my car with phone receptacle still in place:

And receptacle removed and phone in place...how I intent to test using it.

None of this is needed as I usually set the phone to shuffle and tucked it in the center console but I figured to give it a shot. I figured it is also an okay spot the phone GPS to operate from if I so desire.
    Attached Files
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

The roached out car...sunroof was open and everything was WET...this was at grebles u pull it (myerstown PA) if anyone was interested. There were two 1990 towncars there as well only mentioning it as they have some one year only parts people like:

90-94 Cartier seats like the ones there could be had with leather/velour seating surfaces.

My 92 was equipped just like that and it was nice cause you didn't sweat as much. The seats had no lateral support and thanks to the poor -94 seat frame had gangsta lean.

The cellphone is useless so repurposing the holder for something else is the prudent thing to do. My 95 TC had a cell phone, ripped it out and threw it away and I had it when you could actually get a plan for it. Was more $$$ then a cellphone.

I do wonder if one could repurpose the rare 98-02 TC mic that included in the steering wheel shroud if that was on cars that had the Motorola car phone.

1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
      2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

The cellphone mount concept is pretty darn slick. If it could be somehow setup to pivot, that would be dope, but arguably a factory-esque holder is still really nice compared to windshield and cupholder mounts that are so-so in quality.

There were two 1990 towncars there as well only mentioning it as they have some one year only parts people like...
        I know stinkydogfilms was looking for a set of Lincoln Logs. Might be worth reaching out to him if he doesn't see this first.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
          90-94 Cartier seats like the ones there could be had with leather/velour seating surfaces.

My 92 was equipped just like that and it was nice cause you didn't sweat as much. The seats had no lateral support and thanks to the poor -94 seat frame had gangsta lean.

The cellphone is useless so repurposing the holder for something else is the prudent thing to do. My 95 TC had a cell phone, ripped it out and threw it away and I had it when you could actually get a plan for it. Was more $$$ then a cellphone.

I do wonder if one could repurpose the rare 98-02 TC mic that included in the steering wheel shroud if that was on cars that had the Motorola car phone.

Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          The cellphone mount concept is pretty darn slick. If it could be somehow setup to pivot, that would be dope, but arguably a factory-esque holder is still really nice compared to windshield and cupholder mounts that are so-so in quality.

I know stinkydogfilms was looking for a set of Lincoln Logs. Might be worth reaching out to him if he doesn't see this first.
          I dabbled with the idea of adapting one of the aforementioned cellphone mounts to this new mount for pivot action and such but disregarded the idea because it would then become bulky and less factory looking and most importantly no longer fit in the armrest for storing. I think i can live with the minor off axis viewing angle.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Something that would be neat but ultimately kind of useless is to re-work one of the original style handsets to interface with a modern phone via bluetooth. Who actually makes telephone calls these days though?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Will see how it works. The mount itself gets VERY VERY VERY close while shifting into fifth and reverse. Will see how bothersome it is once some actual street driving is done.

Not annoying or bothersome. It gets a passing grade and will remain.

For the cool factor Thain that is all. I think the idea is neat.
              ~David~

Comment

I like it, and better than another mount in that you can hide it easily without having to wrestle suction cup mounts off the window everytime you park lest some idjit thinks you got a gps or something stuffed in the glovebox that they can steal.

Comment

Wanted to ease back the pop in the engine compartment so I swapped in a semigloss black battery bracket, BAP/MAP bracket and fender braces.

I had radiator brackets in semi gloss black powder to put on but they were the factory ones and I was not happy with the fitment. Too large and did not secure the radiator.

When winter comes around I will remove the custom fit ones on the car (I just cut and weld them to the size I wanted) and strip them and powdercoat them semigloss black to blend in with the rest of the pieces.

Before:

After:

Attached Files
                  ~David~

Comment

Very clean. Semigloss black is underrated for use underhood (or under a vehicle). I like it.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It's my favorite. I've never really been a fan of pop & sizzle, even less so after my mid twenties waved good-bye.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

As always - lookin' good!
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The OEM wheel sparkle silver radiator holddowns were bugging me so much that I just fabbed up a new set to fit this radiator properly. Cut up two stock thick boy holddowns and offset them to fit my needs and welded them back up and finished them off with semigloss black powdercoating.

New drivers side hold down:

New Passengers side:

The pair before media blasting and powdercoating:

The OEM wheel sparkle silver holddowns last picture:

The new semigloss black holddowns!

Very happy. Will see how long it is until I pull that upper oil cooler mount to make that semigloss black.

At least I am happy now with the holddowns in semigloss black. I am also happy I tool the time to make them fit this radiator more properly. I have WAY more room around the radiator cap now and the mounts just fit the radiator better.
                          Attached Files
                          ~David~

Comment

Most people wouldn't even notice the oil cooler mount. Since you mentioned it, powder coat all the things! LOL
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Nice!!!

I'm mad that Duplicolor stopped making the metal outdoor furniture Galaxy paint. It was semi-gloss black with metal flakes. I was just starting to change the painted items in the CV to that color when it was discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                                Nice!!!

I'm mad that Duplicolor stopped making the metal outdoor furniture Galaxy paint. It was semi-gloss black with metal flakes. I was just starting to change the painted items in the CV to that color when it was discontinued.
                                Bah. Seems to be my luck with things too.
                                "Oh? You like that? We don't make that any more."

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X