No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took her on her maiden voyage after the body bushing swap. SO NICE! You know after a while you get used to a car and just believe that it is just the way car is? Well that is how I felt with making turns with this car...I'd always have to wait a split second until the body would follow the chassis......... Well that was all wrong all of those years. The car is a blast to drive (and corner!). Cut the wheel and everything follow suit simultaneously. NICE!

Was ending my trip and I began hearing chirping sounds from the rear of the car and LOUD ones at that. Turns out the speedway rear springs were slightly interfering with the washers for the new body bushings rotated the springs and we are all good.

What is also nice is that loud clunk/chirp from the passengers side front tire area is gone with the new bushings as well! I guess things will clunk and chirp when there is a half inch of play in the bushings.

Oh during my cruise I was coasting in overdrive at 60 MPH. I mashed the pedal and dropped the gear selector into drive. CHIRP goes the tires!!! WOW.

And Thain, I loosened the bolt holding the gear selector rods underneath the brake booster. It sprung right into place and everything fees normal again. Thanks.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Cool. That was pretty much how I felt on the drive home from swapping my bushings. It felt like a whole new car. The one specific thing I noticed most was the fenders stopped dancing. The front corners used to jump and flop around at highway speeds very noticeably.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I should get that done at some point on my car, likely after or during major body work.

What did it cost you to do all of the bushings?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

207.92 for bushings before shipping.
          50+ shipping for the spacer/washers that go around the larger shaft of the body mount and seat perfectly into the stock locations
          50 for new 80mm long bolts
          300 for dad labor.

So about 650ish.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

No more annoying lean!

Comment

da lean is gangsta
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My car had a lean????
                ~David~

Comment

Installed some new goodies today...as always a story in pictures.

Neato 1979 LTD Landau Sill Plates as I pulled them:

Washed....and an emblem fell off:

Figured I would replace with something freakin sweet. SO enter 1962 Ford Galaxie Sill Plate Emblems (brand new repops):

Installed onto the sill plates:

Freaking black on black looks killer:

Before:

After:

Fuck yeah!

Next up is the aluminum seat side trims that I pulled from the same Landau.
                  ~David~

Comment

As always - SWEET!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The devil is in the details. Very nice!

Packman

Comment

Thanks guys. Details is one thing this car is not missing. Plenty of little thoughtful details throughout the car.
                        ~David~

Comment

Poly tranny mount bushing was installed today. One bolt on the tail shaft was hella tight. Had to break out the BIG BOY breaker bar. Had to ream out the center tranny cross member bolts because the new Mustang poly mount was narrower but everything is up and nice.....I just wish I had ordered a red one.

New bushing packaging with old mount:

And new mount installed:

~David~

Comment

MMMMMMmmmmmm LOVE the poly trans bushing! Feel the transmission much more through the car. Awesome feeling, feeling your transmission at work. Wonder how a solid mount would feel?

Car is going to feel SICK once the rest of of suspension bushings and engine mounts are replaced.
                            ~David~

Comment

Gonna need a transmission mount in the near future, I should look into that one.
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I recommend it...I did have to readjust my fan shroud again. lol My motor mounts are sooooo shot. I see a lot of cracks in them.

In other news I began modding the seat trims I pulled from a 1979 LTD Landau.

Progress pic showing a circular center joystick hole sandwiched between two up down switch holes...one completed...one in progress.

Ahh lets just skip to the end:

I freaking love it.....also washed the car:

I'll get to the passengers side eventually.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X