No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am super pleased with the newly installed dashcap on the LTC. Once I drove it during a hot (80 degree) day it settled down into the original dash pad. Mine has no rattles so far. I could have used more adhesive in the middle. I have had other cars with the dash caps. Those vehicles were resales so the purpose was for looks. Buying a pre painted if the color is available is a big plus. Years ago that was an extra cost option.

I wash my carpet dash covers in Woolite in the bathtub. Hang dry. Gets the dust/dirt out.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      If the dash is already shot, thats really not much of a concern. If its not shot, there isn't any reason to put a cap on, so win either way?
      I agree with that, but knowing David, I doubt the dash is shot lol. Thin materials aren't going to offer much UV resistance or heat insulation. That's my beef with the cover... WTF would I know though? I've only got the carpet fuzzies on my rides.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Its toast. Impossible to find good one....Hence the dash carpet pad all these years. Ill post pics. Crack on p.side side just starting to creep past the carpeted cover over the lip above glove box...This will take care of that and the busted speaker grilles and other cracks.
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-06-2021, 03:57 PM.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I got an Autofab cover from JC Whitney a while back because the clean dash pad I got from an '88 Colony Park cracked a couple years after installing it. And I kept it cleaned and applied dressing every few months.

Comment

Coverlay DashCap Install

Did the deed this morning....

Carpted dash:

What lies beneath:

And capped:

I went the conservative...non committal route and just placed it on top without using the supplied silicone or drilling screw holes. I just have an ancient budweiser frog wedged between the glass and the pad in the center holding everything in place. I am quite pleased and can always fall back to the carpeted pad if needed without fuss.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-07-2021, 02:29 PM.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks good, certainly a huge upgrade over the cracked dash.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks great. Clean look. Once you get comfortable with the dashcap, you may glue it on.

Comment

Looks really nice. Is it the camera or is the dash cover a bit lighter than the original dash pad? It looks like it matches the plastic on the glovebox, steering wheel, etc pretty well though.

Also, any issues with the auto head lights? It looks like the sensor holes are a little different.

Is it wiggly with it not being screwed/glued down? I've been curious about these Coverlays for years.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Looks good, certainly a huge upgrade over the cracked dash.
                    Indeed.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Looks great. Clean look. Once you get comfortable with the dashcap, you may glue it on.
                    I dont know about that one. Its the issue with teh screw holes near the vents and the two on the sides (seen when door open) I dont want to mess with because the vents ones only would partially secure panel and the side ones would show the black plastic where you drill the hole. This way I get everything covered and no unsightly screw holes.

Originally posted by slack View Post
                    Looks really nice. Is it the camera or is the dash cover a bit lighter than the original dash pad? It looks like it matches the plastic on the glovebox, steering wheel, etc pretty well though.

Also, any issues with the auto head lights? It looks like the sensor holes are a little different.

Is it wiggly with it not being screwed/glued down? I've been curious about these Coverlays for years.
                    It is a lighter shade than the original. I went with the light brown color from coverlay. To be honest I never understood why the dash pad was a darker color than the rest of the interior so everything kinda turned out matching better in the end.

Ill report back about the autoheadlights. I know Jason had no issues with his install as they still operated as intended.

The shape is awfully close to the original so it sits over the existing pad quite well. With the addition of the frog wedged in place front and center I dont believe it is going to go anywhere. If I find it does move too much for my liking I think I will resort to some low tac double sided tape before gluing still as I want to remove cap and then remove dash pad if I ever need to service anything behind them. The cap does a good job at hiding all screws and gives a much cleaner look.
                    ~David~

Comment

Could maybe use that putty people use to stick pictures to the wall so they don't swing. Blue-tack is one brand of it, but its basically clay that is just barely sticky. Enough to keep things from moving freely but you can just pull it apart. A couple dots of that to keep things from rattling if needed might be the answer.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes. Good suggestion.
                        ~David~

Comment

Could maybe use that putty people use to stick pictures to the wall so they don't swing. Blue-tack is one brand of it, but its basically clay that is just barely sticky. Enough to keep things from moving freely but you can just pull it apart. A couple dots of that to keep things from rattling if needed might be the answer.
                          That is a very good suggestion. I have used it to hold antiques on a shelf. It worked good when I lived in Ca. Earthquake country.

Comment

I've used it for ballast in turntable headshells. I have one that is supposed to use a metal plate in there as a mount bracket but I made something out of plastic that weighs less. Needed some weight and didn't want to tape a penny to it so I packed some up inside.

Comment

I used to use it for hanging posters but it would discolored the wall & the paper.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Looks great.

Mine has been sitting in the basement for years; waiting for me to pay attention to the interior of my CV. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X