No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have decided to hook up the gauges tomorrow and reference my low and high pressure readings to a chart similar to the one pictured:

I will then decide if more freon will be required. Mathematically I do not have the proper amount at this point in time. I am a couple ounces shy of a fully charged system. I have one 12 oz can left at my disposal to see what I can accomplish.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I need to check the fill of my 93. I saved that chart to make sure. It's gonna be 104F most of this week down here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ballpark for high side pressure is 2.5 - 3x degrees Freedom so 90F can be up to about 270 psi. Monitor the vent temps though, stop adding when it stops getting colder. If its over-charged the temperatures will go up along with the pressure. I like to do this with it above idle speed just because thats what it will see while driving, especially if you don't have an electric fan. E-fans help a lot at idle but the compressor speed does affect pressure too. I'm running underdrive pullies so it really plays with the pump speed. Keep in mind the high side pressure is very dependent on airflow, so its going to be lower when actually moving. The lower the high side is, the lower the low side is, and the lower the low side, the colder the vent temps will be, provided the pump isn't cycling.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Id say everything is as good as it is going to get given that information.

I will say thought that both schrader valves are leaking according to my leak detector. High side is just a port around the hole deal to make it adapt to r134a low side is a valve ontop of valve. I took the adapter off the low side and still detects a leak. Ill see how long this holds and once it all seeps out I will replace the schrader valves. I suspect that both were damaged by overtightening the manifold quick connects onto the valves. I am pissed. I tried exercising the valves to hopefully seat better but noluck.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

over about 85F I wouldn't expect the compressor to cycle if the blower is on full go. If yours is, it probably wants a little more juice. It does usually want a couple minutes of run time before things settle though. You can see that on the gauges if you turn it on from sitting.

Are yours the fittings that have the push rod that just pokes at the valve in the R12 port? Those seem extra prone to leaking. I like the kind where you pull the stem out of the R12 port and the 134a fitting has it's own.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              over about 85F I wouldn't expect the compressor to cycle if the blower is on full go. If yours is, it probably wants a little more juice. It does usually want a couple minutes of run time before things settle though. You can see that on the gauges if you turn it on from sitting.

Are yours the fittings that have the push rod that just pokes at the valve in the R12 port? Those seem extra prone to leaking. I like the kind where you pull the stem out of the R12 port and the 134a fitting has it's own.

Just at the low side has the push rod. I removed the fitting and it still leaks at just the r12 port on the drier.

The high side fitting I placed an adapter that just goes over the whole deal no extra schrader.

Either way the leak is extremely small but present none the less.

Any way you can comment on the video I have linked to my cars gauges in action?

~David~

Comment

Pressure might be a bit low, if thats at idle the low side will swing further down with throttle and the compressor will probably start to cycle. Drop-out is somewhere in the 20-25 psi range and it looks like you're right there. low side will be higher if the blower is at full go because its dumping more heat into the evaporator. The high side pressure should tend to be a little lower with the new condenser vs the old style just for efficiency reasons.

Comment

That video is at idle with fan on low.

I also picked up the conversion fittings for eliminating the r12 schrader on the low side...My high side conversion fitting utilizes no extra push rod schrader. I also have new schrader valves ready to go. Last step is picking up a big ol jug of r134a. Thinking of just picking up a 30# one. Cost seems extremely fair.
                  Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-13-2019, 06:40 AM.
                  ~David~

Comment

Yeah... you need more gas in there. You shouldn't be able to pull below 30psi at idle... and preferably 35psi.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Excellent. All things to look for. Much appreciated. We'll see how long the juice stays in before I completely suck down the system, change out the schraders valve on the high side and remove the schrader and replace it with the new adapter on the low side.

IN other news....

The 2.73's made it late. lol

An I wonder what paint color the other 25 cars had that wore the brown vinyl top?
                      Attached Files
                      ~David~

Comment

Wow only 4 cars made with that paint and trim code. That's pretty crazy! Yours is probably the only one left out there.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. And I thought my Town Car was rare.

A Trac-Lok 2.73. Cool. Didn't your dad order that car new?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I didn’t realize your car was a leather to begin with.

I’ve been crossing the ancient production numbers in my signature with kishy’s reports and they have been correct. What boggles my mind is that, according to this one, there would have been over 1000 351 tudors in 87 which seems excessive.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              Yeah, my thoughts exactly. And I thought my Town Car was rare.

A Trac-Lok 2.73. Cool. Didn't your dad order that car new?
                              Not quite. My father serviced it since inception. He worked at Universal Ford.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              I didn’t realize your car was a leather to begin with.

I’ve been crossing the ancient production numbers in my signature with kishy’s reports and they have been correct. What boggles my mind is that, according to this one, there would have been over 1000 351 tudors in 87 which seems excessive.
                              I was pondering the same about the engine situation. Makes you wonder what numbers are correct.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                I was pondering the same about the engine situation. Makes you wonder what numbers are correct.
                                I’m gonna lean on Marti being correct. Mine came out of a book I found at my parents house from 1996. I am wondering about the LX designation for tudors in 1987. Maybe most of that missing 1000+ are non LX deuces?
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X