PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 258 of 259 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259 LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5161

Thread: My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
    All Signature and above late 1992-1994 have that style of armrest with fold out cupholders. Change holder is 95-97 which don't have fold out cupholders and wouldn't even work on the older seats as they mount in a U shaped mount on the seat bottom not the seat back.
    Bingo. What I came to post.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
    All Signature and above late 1992-1994 have that style of armrest with fold out cupholders. Change holder is 95-97 which don't have fold out cupholders and wouldn't even work on the older seats as they mount in a U shaped mount on the seat bottom not the seat back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    Bingo. What I came to post.
    Thanks for the information. That helps out a ton.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Nice! The arm rests look good! I remember having the armrest cup holders in both my 94 and 97 Towncars. The only thing I wished was that they were designed that they weren't so shallow. 24oz 7-11 coffee cup is a bit top heavy in them. lol

Side note, I had an issue recently with RockAuto (first time in YEARS) where the bleeder valve on a re-man caliper I bought was helicoiled. When I went to bleed the brakes, the bleeder and the whole insert spun.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post
    Nice! The arm rests look good! I remember having the armrest cup holders in both my 94 and 97 Towncars. The only thing I wished was that they were designed that they weren't so shallow. 24oz 7-11 coffee cup is a bit top heavy in them. lol

Side note, I had an issue recently with RockAuto (first time in YEARS) where the bleeder valve on a re-man caliper I bought was helicoiled. When I went to bleed the brakes, the bleeder and the whole insert spun.
    The term cup holder is definitely used loosely with these ones. Seems like such a task for manufacturers to get a cup holder right.

I'll have to look out for the helicoil bit. Would make me unhappy for sure.
    ~David~

Scooped up a radio out of a 1983 MK VI while on my previous JY trip. Car was really clean. Totaled by a front end collision unfortunately.

This is a NON premium sound radio so no amp. Took her apart yesterday and found one belt was broken. Took off the old belts cleaned the pulleys up and installed some new ones and I have an awesome back up radio to my other one. This one works even better. Totally clean while making adjustments on any knob. Really excited to have a good back up. Cassette cleaned up nicely too after using some head cleaning tape and demagnatizer.

Working:

Then I put the ol'gal in the backyard for the season but not before giving her a quick ONR bath and a quick all in one wax job.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4495.jpg   IMG_4494.jpg   IMG_4489.jpg   IMG_4485.jpg  
    ~David~

Set out this morning to install the stifflers driveshaft safety loop....but was met with disappointment. Due to the design of the panther transmission cross-member I cannot use the stifflers piece as it does not sit flush but is obstructed by the thick tubing of the cross-member.

Piece in question that does not fit:

https://lmr.com/item/STF-DSLM02/1979...ft-Safety-Loop

The hoop that surrounds the driveshaft and acts as the safety just does not fit either due to piece not sitting flush against the tranny tailhousing mount. No biggie.....

I then went and installed my Bilstein #24-014953 Front Shocks and Bilstein #24-014960 Rear Shocks...B6 monotubes.

Out with the old gas-a-just shocks.... Front ( KG5458) Rear (KG5521)...They are still in fine shape...stored away for future builds.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4550.jpg  
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 01-11-2022 at 05:56 PM.
    ~David~

Bummer about the safety loops not fitting, are there any others you're considering?

I think you'll like the bilsteins, Mine are great, you really notice an improvement going around bumpy corners at speed. They have great recovery and makes it feel stable where the KYB's (and other shocks) seem to make the car feel unplanted.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Bummer about the safety loops not fitting, are there any others you're considering?

I think you'll like the bilsteins, Mine are great, you really notice an improvement going around bumpy corners at speed. They have great recovery and makes it feel stable where the KYB's (and other shocks) seem to make the car feel unplanted.
    Not considering any others. I happened to spot this one that uses the transmission mount location to hold the bracket for the hoop and that is what caught my eye. Others I have viewed use the seat mount bolts or something like that which would be very specific to the fox body chassis. I could fabricate a mount from scratch if I really wanted it, or modify the existing cross member to more freely accept this style and then make up a hoop that hugs the drive shaft more and gives some clearance in the tunnel.

Good to hear. I am also curious if it will reduce/diminish my wheel hop issues when breaking loose from stops/rolling.
    ~David~

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

How do those Bilsteins feel? They firmed up the ride in my CV when I installed them.

Bummer about the stifflers driveshaft loop. I have one in my fox, but i am also using the stifflers x member.
    I'm sure you can probably make it work.

Maybe Stifler's mom would help out with an exchange or return?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Here is the stifflers x member for fox body

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pmyTAH.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	57289

You can see how it attaches

And driveshaft loop mocked up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ONBIA3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	57290

And here is the stock 87 tranny cross member....she is thick. I believe 88 and up have thinner ones and the piece may clear but you can see my issue. I have a spare 87 cross member so maybe I will notch that one once?...maybe.

~David~

Yeah wow. Maybe an additional bracket that mounts above the trans mount bolts to tie in the loop?
    I have a new 93 trans x member here, but it looks just like the one in your pic.

planning on fixing pinion angle? I'd look at welding a couple tabs to the stock crossmember and modify the loop (make something from scratch probably just as quick) to bolt to those tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Yeah wow. Maybe an additional bracket that mounts above the trans mount bolts to tie in the loop?
    I have a new 93 trans x member here, but it looks just like the one in your pic.
    Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Guy View Post
    planning on fixing pinion angle? I'd look at welding a couple tabs to the stock crossmember and modify the loop (make something from scratch probably just as quick) to bolt to those tabs.
    Yes. Since I have the adjustable rear upper arms I do plan to measure and make right the pinion angle. This too will certainly help hush any wheel hop I may have left after the new rear bilsteins....I have not driven the car since the new rear shocks are in. Car tucked away in backyard for winter.
    ~David~

Create an intermediate bracket that arches over the crossmember?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

what attaches to those two holes in the tailshaft of the trans? If nothing, honestly I'd be way more inclined to make a loop mount to that vs cutting the crossmember.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I went with that brand x member and driveshaft loop because it is NHRA legal when they are used together.
    If you're not going to race it, i'm sure you could modify it with no issues.
    If you drilled holes through the Panther x member and welded in some tubes (to keep strength) you could probably bolt the loop to the x member itself. When the loop arrived, i was suspicious since it only mounted with 2 bolts. But it is a sturdy piece.

I have adjustable control arms as well, had to reset the pinion angle after installing the loop. Not by much tho

Dave!!!!!! Jeeze the chassis and trans look clean enough to eat off of!!............Amazing!

Page 258 of 259 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259 LastLast