My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    honestly the rear-facing fill and drain plugs are almost enough to warrant one. No drain and having to fill it from the other side where access is poor sucks.
    QFT!

If I ever do get serious with my car... this will be one of the first things to go on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

honestly the rear-facing fill and drain plugs are almost enough to warrant one. No drain and having to fill it from the other side where access is poor sucks.
      Yeah, completely agree. Not having to redo the gasket every time you drain the oil out would be a nice to have. (Probably would actually change it instead of the one change I did like 5 years ago...)

Originally posted by 87gtVIC
      Painted the rear sway bar to match my front one...
      Really digging the color on the rear sway bar.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Almost all my 8.8's have girdles.
        I've broken too many rears.

And yes the poor pour issue is mostly resolved.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I still found the rear drain/fill more convenient with the bottles of juice I had for the rear.

Originally posted by slack View Post
          Yeah, completely agree. Not having to redo the gasket every time you drain the oil out would be a nice to have. (Probably would actually change it instead of the one change I did like 5 years ago...)

Really digging the color on the rear sway bar.
          I did install the nice gasket that came with it. The mounting flange on this cover is THICK. Figured it would be okay to use it. Siliconed all the rest of them before this one.

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
          Almost all my 8.8's have girdles.
          I've broken too many rears.

And yes the poor pour issue is mostly resolved.
          I think If i purchased the pump that attaches to the bottle it would be more convenient.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The pump is way easier than the 1 qt bottles. At least its not like a marine outdrive. Those you fill from the bottom until it starts running out of the top hole. Basically impossible to do without a pump.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I haven't seen the pump you are referring to. I had a small hand transfer pump but it was more trouble than it was worth.
              I have a hose affixed to the spout & squeeeeze.
              I'll have to check out the proper pump.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                I haven't seen the pump you are referring to. I had a small hand transfer pump but it was more trouble than it was worth.
                I have a hose affixed to the spout & squeeeeze.
                I'll have to check out the proper pump.
                Pretty much any autoparts store and Harbor Freight sell em. Its basically a higher volume version of the pump you'd find on a bottle of hand soap and it has a hose attached. They have 2 sets of threads to screw onto most oil containers along with different length tubes to get to the bottom of most common size oil bottles (standard quart, gear oil quart, and gallon/5qt jug). I have one that I use for differentials, it does leave a little bit in the bottom of the bottle, but its probably less than I'd end up spilling without it so I consider it a net gain, the only oil that gets spilled is the few drops out of the hose when you are done.
                -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Gonna need that girdle on my limo rear. Can’t wait to see those amazing pedal installed!!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                    Gonna need that girdle on my limo rear. Can’t wait to see those amazing pedal installed!!
                    Yeah me too. Only thing I dont have at this point in time is the transmission and bell housing. Have all other components ready to roll.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Went out this morning and started tearing into the passengers side door. Goal was to replace door lock actuator because it was acting slow as well as paint the silver stripes in my door panel pull handle.

Got into the door and discovered that one of the door lock linkages was rubbing a bit too much inside the door panel armrest. Little tweak with a pair of pliers and problem was solved. I am happy about that as I was kinda dreading removing the door lock actuator....

Next up was painting the pull handle. I painted the drivers side one a couple years back when I had to remove the door panel for something....so I decided to do this side now as I had the panel off. The chrome tape was peeling off of the aftermarket JC whitney door panel pull handles and I needed to fix that.

After peeing off all the old stuff I was left with this:

Honestly the black is not bad looking..BUT I did the drivers side a year ago so I had to do this side to match.

After masking and painting...scuffed surface, used adhesion promoter and some interior metallic trim paint I was left with this:

Then I labled up my under hood fuse box:

and reinstalled the newly painted rear CVPI sway bar:

All so it could match my front one:

Attached Files
                      ~David~

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-88-GM-...6/330923861910

I may look into these in the future as the JC whitney ones are no longer available. This last set was installed some time around 2010.

These look nice despite being a GM part..should fit the bill.
                        ~David~

Comment

Looks good! Nice work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Great work as usual David.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Quick tip for those struggling with deteriorating door panel backing material...you know the thin cardboard that the door panel Christmas tree clips hold onto...HOT GLUE

A dab of hot glue will hold the clip in place on the door panel and fix your issues. No more clips falling out and your door panel will stay secure to your cars door.
                              ~David~

Comment

you can also coat the whole back with fiber glass resin for extra moisture protection

Comment

Working...
                                X