No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its kind of funny how much of an AOD that is. You can definitely hear the 1-2 slop shift under hard throttle. Sounds good otherwise.

More air = more fuel, so if its running lean thats a good sign your intake is better than it used to be.

That lens distorts distance a bit. I swore you were removing at least 4 mirrors in that last couple seconds.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^^^^^^^^I closed my eyes and stuck my thumbs in my ears during the last few seconds myself^^^^^^^^^

I like how you gunned it a little when you saw the Foxbody; won't have to do that when you get the stick in there.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Its kind of funny how much of an AOD that is. You can definitely hear the 1-2 slop shift under hard throttle. Sounds good otherwise.

More air = more fuel, so if its running lean thats a good sign your intake is better than it used to be.

That lens distorts distance a bit. I swore you were removing at least 4 mirrors in that last couple seconds.
        The way this AOD is set up is JUNK.

TMOSS ported gt40 lower. I am happy that it actually showed a difference. Was worth the money then.

Originally posted by packman View Post
        ^^^^^^^^^I closed my eyes and stuck my thumbs in my ears during the last few seconds myself^^^^^^^^^

I like how you gunned it a little when you saw the Foxbody; won't have to do that when you get the stick in there.
        It was tight....but i made it.

True. Stick will be much better/funner.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Rear bumper needed some love. Looks like it was rusting a bit where the chrome process took place....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1283493

Covered in rust convertor:

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1284013

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1284014

Now covered in rust encapsulator and scuffed, ready for chassis black paint.

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	1284015

And chassis blacked.

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1284016

Some new trunk jewelry arrived as well.

Name:	IMG_E0624.jpg
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1284017
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Glad that you bought that trunk trim. Hard to find part. They sure look bad when they peel.

Comment

Futzed around with the car some this morning before the winds rolled in.

After the t moss ported lower intake was installed the AFR readings went all out of wack. Before anything took place my tuner recommened me to set the timing back to 10 BTDC with spout unplugged on warm engine and verify 39/40 PSI at fuel rail with vacuum unplugged. I got 44. Dont know if that is good bad or indifferent.

Anyways programmed in the first new tune and it really made no difference. More work to come on this.

My laptop (a dell xps with core i7) kinda goes wonky screen from time to time while being unplugged from power supply. Hard to tune with this going on so I went out and purchased a cheapo ridged power inverter to combat the screen weirdness.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...7100/203904564

Did the job at keeping the laptop powered up so no screen shenanigans took place while datalogging.

Also painted up the modified 1987 crown Victoria front license plate bracket. Modified as I had rebent it to fit the 1979 bumper I recently picked up. I primed it a couple weeks back and just scuffed down the primer today with a gray scotch brite pad and painted it with some ford silver frost metallic paint I had around (left over from repainting the fancy 1979 CV rear chrome license plate bucket) and cleared with with some spray max 2K clear. Its good looking. Used the rest of the clear coat (has a pot life) on the front license plate bracket I was repainting for the Mercedes. God do I LOVE that clear coat.
              ~David~

Comment

Played around with the car some more this morning.

Appears as if the wide band sensor or wiring are faulty. When datalogging the AFRs are swinging from 20 to 0. The scale I have set up should only allow the AFR readings to go between 20 (4 volts or lean) and 10 (0 volts or rich). 4volts and 0v are the specs for my wideband gauge.

Video below:

The wide band did on occasion decide to spit out logical/stable numbers on a couple datalogs. Sensor or wiring is the issue....... Other than that things appear to not be lean and all okay as of now. More digging/tuning to do.

My little setup:

How shes looking:

And a shot (shitty shot at that) of the license plate bracket in primer just before paint was applied.

Of course I forgot to take a picture of it all done. Its shiny has all hell. Spraymax 2k clear is great.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-26-2018, 03:44 PM.
                ~David~

Comment

A9P David B NEW TUNE2 2018_May_26_09-26-09 40 second idle.zip

I have attached a zip folder with a idle and run around the block data log. You can see at times the afr datalog is reading consistently and at others it like to go full lean and swing back to 0....
                  ~David~

Comment

Looks almost more like narrow band output than wideband.

There is some parameter that basically tells the computer how much air the intake manifold flows. You could ask John what it is, but he had to fiddle with that on mine when I changed to the Tmoss intake. Of course the cam and larger injector swap was done at the same time, so lots of variables there.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No kidding. Like a light switch. On or off. lol

In the provided datalogs though you can see at times the thing still reads correctly. Some times it does not. Annoying.

Once things get fully sorted here again with my tune I do once want to have John take a look at things just because. For now I will let my guy take care of things....I did pay for his services here after all and dont want to step on any toes.
                      ~David~

Comment

Here is the front license plate frame that I had bent up to work for the 1979 center plate mount bumper. She shines.

Attached Files
                        ~David~

Comment

Whats different about the mounting method? Looks like you had to bend it to bolt in from the bottom, and I guess the 87 bolts from the front?

Comment

They both bolt in from the bottom and the one hidden fastener behind the license plate. The difference is the depth at which they bolt to the bottom of the bumper.

The center mount plate bumpers front license plate bracket sits lower that the off set style type bumper license plate brackets. So when I fastened the 87 style to the 79 type the lower mounts were no where near the bumper. I had to bend up the bracket so the mounting ears would sit flush against the bumper.

center style

And my car:

Visually they look damn near the same. I was quite surprised that the one I pulled from a 1986 CV was not correct for the older center style bumpers.

There appears to be the correct center style bracket for sale on ebay. Too rich for my blood though especially with the uncertainty I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-19...19.m1438.l2649

Attached Files
                            ~David~

Comment

D9AZ is 79 Ford service part, the A is Vic for that time period so most likely proper.

Forgot about the offset plate on later ones. Lincolns were always in the middle and used a big plastic mount that is prone to fading and cracking. I get to find out more about that when I transfer the rub strip and plate mount to the Continental front bumper I pulled from the yard. The Towncar bumper came from a car with the front plate mount, which was good because my original one was in bad shape.

Comment

Good luck. Not fun at all playing with old brittle plastic. My only suggestion is making sure that the piece you are trying to remove is nice and warm. If it has push in style mounts that are molded into the piece itself the only way to remove it in one piece is attacking it from the backside. Pulling almost always ends in tears.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X