No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set out this morning to install the stifflers driveshaft safety loop....but was met with disappointment. Due to the design of the panther transmission cross-member I cannot use the stifflers piece as it does not sit flush but is obstructed by the thick tubing of the cross-member.

Piece in question that does not fit:

https://lmr.com/item/STF-DSLM02/1979...ft-Safety-Loop

The hoop that surrounds the driveshaft and acts as the safety just does not fit either due to piece not sitting flush against the tranny tailhousing mount. No biggie.....

I then went and installed my Bilstein #24-014953 Front Shocks and Bilstein #24-014960 Rear Shocks...B6 monotubes.

Out with the old gas-a-just shocks.... Front ( KG5458) Rear (KG5521)...They are still in fine shape...stored away for future builds.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 01-11-2022, 05:56 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Bummer about the safety loops not fitting, are there any others you're considering?

I think you'll like the bilsteins, Mine are great, you really notice an improvement going around bumpy corners at speed. They have great recovery and makes it feel stable where the KYB's (and other shocks) seem to make the car feel unplanted.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
        Bummer about the safety loops not fitting, are there any others you're considering?

I think you'll like the bilsteins, Mine are great, you really notice an improvement going around bumpy corners at speed. They have great recovery and makes it feel stable where the KYB's (and other shocks) seem to make the car feel unplanted.
        Not considering any others. I happened to spot this one that uses the transmission mount location to hold the bracket for the hoop and that is what caught my eye. Others I have viewed use the seat mount bolts or something like that which would be very specific to the fox body chassis. I could fabricate a mount from scratch if I really wanted it, or modify the existing cross member to more freely accept this style and then make up a hoop that hugs the drive shaft more and gives some clearance in the tunnel.

Good to hear. I am also curious if it will reduce/diminish my wheel hop issues when breaking loose from stops/rolling.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

How do those Bilsteins feel? They firmed up the ride in my CV when I installed them.

Comment

Bummer about the stifflers driveshaft loop. I have one in my fox, but i am also using the stifflers x member.
            I'm sure you can probably make it work.

Comment

Maybe Stifler's mom would help out with an exchange or return?
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Here is the stifflers x member for fox body

Click image for larger version

Name:	pmyTAH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1289849

You can see how it attaches

And driveshaft loop mocked up

Click image for larger version

Name:	ONBIA3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1289850

Comment

And here is the stock 87 tranny cross member....she is thick. I believe 88 and up have thinner ones and the piece may clear but you can see my issue. I have a spare 87 cross member so maybe I will notch that one once?...maybe.

~David~

Comment

Yeah wow. Maybe an additional bracket that mounts above the trans mount bolts to tie in the loop?
                    I have a new 93 trans x member here, but it looks just like the one in your pic.

Comment

planning on fixing pinion angle? I'd look at welding a couple tabs to the stock crossmember and modify the loop (make something from scratch probably just as quick) to bolt to those tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                        Yeah wow. Maybe an additional bracket that mounts above the trans mount bolts to tie in the loop?
                        I have a new 93 trans x member here, but it looks just like the one in your pic.
                        Possibly.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        planning on fixing pinion angle? I'd look at welding a couple tabs to the stock crossmember and modify the loop (make something from scratch probably just as quick) to bolt to those tabs.
                        Yes. Since I have the adjustable rear upper arms I do plan to measure and make right the pinion angle. This too will certainly help hush any wheel hop I may have left after the new rear bilsteins....I have not driven the car since the new rear shocks are in. Car tucked away in backyard for winter.
                        ~David~

Comment

Create an intermediate bracket that arches over the crossmember?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

what attaches to those two holes in the tailshaft of the trans? If nothing, honestly I'd be way more inclined to make a loop mount to that vs cutting the crossmember.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I went with that brand x member and driveshaft loop because it is NHRA legal when they are used together.
                              If you're not going to race it, i'm sure you could modify it with no issues.
                              If you drilled holes through the Panther x member and welded in some tubes (to keep strength) you could probably bolt the loop to the x member itself. When the loop arrived, i was suspicious since it only mounted with 2 bolts. But it is a sturdy piece.

I have adjustable control arms as well, had to reset the pinion angle after installing the loop. Not by much tho

Comment

Dave!!!!!! Jeeze the chassis and trans look clean enough to eat off of!!............Amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                X