No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just make sure you have it in neutral would do it for me. It doesn't exactly take a lot to learn how to start the car safely. I learned to drive in a car without such interlocks, its really not a big deal.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

True. I wanna try to have a safety measure in place just in case....

SO upon further research the switch I have installed has something to do with cruise control. Deactivating it or so.

The one I have not installed pertains to allowing the car to start while ONLY having the clutch depressed, called the clutch interrupt switch, (simulating a neutral) AND neutral sensing switch which basically tells the confuser when you are changing gears.....maybe something to do with idle and what not.

I'm gonna look into re purposing the cruise switch thingy I installed above to act as the clutch interrupt switch. Unfortunately I will have to reverse its functions as it currently closed when the clutch pedal is fully release. I'll take it apart and see if that can be reversed.
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-25-2018, 08:58 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Great Work!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

if it can't be done, you can use it to drive a relay in order to invert the functionality if needed. It does add a relay as a possible fail point and you'll hear it click every time you clutch though.

Gonna see if I can cram all that jazz up in there and all things working as they should.
          Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah. There is always a way for sure

I use a relay in my car for my voltmeter.....I want constant HOT to it. Switch ground via relay. I know my electrical sneakiery.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

my voltmeter runs off a key-on hot, but I use that key-on hot to drive the relay that controls the lighter socket. Its an anti-stupid measure for when I leave something plugged in so I don't have a dead battery in 2 days.

Comment

Yeah. I have to watch it with my dash cam.... constant hot...

Did more doings.

Clutch safety switch now installed as well. All I had to do was some bending and cutting of the fox body clutch safety switch mounting bracket and it worked perfectly after welding it in place. Have to purchase the electrical plugs now for the clutch safety switch and the neutral sensing switch.

To be entirely honest I have no idea if anything I have done will fit. May be a reason for noone else ever showing that they did this....

Comparing the Mustangs to mine. The mustang's mounting bracket is removable. Mine is to but it takes a bit more effort...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1283118

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1283119

Mine up close:

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1283120

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1283121

Showing that it does not stick out very far...Maybe there is a chance it will all fit in place..doubt it. lol

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1283122

And all ready for paint...

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1283123
                ~David~

Comment

OKay. Final assembly on the clutch pedal set up after paint and all..

Gotta put it back together:

And together:

I left the pedal bezels loose...NO need to keep them on there yet.

The trim for the pedal pads:

AND my next resto project to go along with my NOS 79 bumper!

These bumper inserts are in great shape. Should turn out well. The tear down and build up will begin tomorrow.
                  Attached Files
                  ~David~

Comment

I might have missed it but, what have you come up with for the clutch cable bracket to/through fire wall?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

1/4 steel plate with a lip on it. I picked it up from Pier. Even if this particular one does not work out (modeled for the newer model panthers) having it in hand is a good foundation for making something that does work.
                      ~David~

Comment

Looks to be the nicest pedal assembly I have seen made for one of these cars. Nice work.

It is a small detail, but I love the use of the different pedal shapes. I've always been a fan of the truck pedals as well, which I believe were used from the early 70s through 2010 (end of stick Ford trucks).

Nice work, and nice documentation.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Looks to be the nicest pedal assembly I have seen made for one of these cars. Nice work.

It is a small detail, but I love the use of the different pedal shapes. I've always been a fan of the truck pedals as well, which I believe were used from the early 70s through 2010 (end of stick Ford trucks).

Nice work, and nice documentation.
                          Thanks Nate. Hope it all is worth it. If anything it is a good looking garage ornament.

Had to pull apart the bumper inserts. The plastic backing was held on with clips and came in two types. One a rectangular clip that was salvagable and the other a circular clip which was obliterated by me trying to remove them

Will have to source a 4 more type of those clips for assembly after things get painted.

After a thorough cleaning and scuffing session the parts are ready for paint:

Black plastic backing will get adhesion promoter and black trim paint where as the bumper inserts will get adhesion promoter and gloss black paint...maybe some clear....
                          Attached Files
                          ~David~

Comment

Great work as usual in Daveland!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Thanks Jim

Painted up the rubbers Monday afternoon. They are just resting in the garage. Currently snowing out so no pictures of that.

Painted the bumper inserts yesterday morning.

they came out sweet!

Adhesion promoter, gloss black paint and some clear!

Got a bunch of push on clips to put it back together once things dry thoroughly.
                              Attached Files
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Some progress pics.

All of the old crap removed, one of the smog injection pipes leading to the cats were completely rusted apart:

And headers installed:

You can see here the spacer my dad made for the dipstick tube.

And the new location of the mustang air injection pipe and smog valve near the bottom (way against the firewall):

Do you still have the picture of the spacer your dad made for the dipstick tube? That's something I'd like to look into replicating once I do my exhaust install.
                                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
                                X