No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sort of interesting how tastes change over time. More and more I like the near-stock look. doesn't have to be as it came from the factory, but I want it to look like it could have been that way.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What a difference from then and now! Not only the change in style; but that paint makes a huge difference.

Like Gadget73 said; at least with me; when I was young I liked the things kids like. At that time big exhaust tips were in; so that's what I put on the Malibu. But now; I like a plain and quiet boulevard cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        I was so damn happy with it. I was around 20 at the time. I seen others put it lower on the fender but I was not fond of that placement. I am happy with none nowadays.
        LoL. I somehow resisted many an urge during that timeframe of my life. Still wish I never hacked up the dash in my Fireturd to put aftermarket 4x6's in there, but some things just couldn't be resisted I guess.

Older I get, the more I appreciate stock or stock like, much like gadget said.

..what's inside that trailer? I saw some pretty sweet surveillance vans in scrap yards before, can only imagine how sweet that thing might be inside...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          sort of interesting how tastes change over time. More and more I like the near-stock look. doesn't have to be as it came from the factory, but I want it to look like it could have been that way.

Yes yes and YES. Hence why I went back to a stock like headunit. Done mind the gauges...You know but others may not that the piece above the glove box is a factory ford piece!

Originally posted by packman View Post
          What a difference from then and now! Not only the change in style; but that paint makes a huge difference.

Like Gadget73 said; at least with me; when I was young I liked the things kids like. At that time big exhaust tips were in; so that's what I put on the Malibu. But now; I like a plain and quiet boulevard cruiser.
          Definitely more shine in the paint nowadays.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          LoL. I somehow resisted many an urge during that timeframe of my life. Still wish I never hacked up the dash in my Fireturd to put aftermarket 4x6's in there, but some things just couldn't be resisted I guess.

Older I get, the more I appreciate stock or stock like, much like gadget said.

..what's inside that trailer? I saw some pretty sweet surveillance vans in scrap yards before, can only imagine how sweet that thing might be inside...
          That particular trailer is named TITAN.

http://www.allmobilevideo.com/mobile/titan/

Audio room, production room, tape/evs room, engineering and video.Much more involved than a surveillance van.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's pretty radical alright. You kids and your tech.

Comment

Picked up some seats from Slack's 89 last week. They were complete, tear free and in the color I was looking for. SOLD SOLD SOLD...now the fun began of cleaning them and swapping on all the good bits from my seats.

Before cleaning:

This is what they are replacing:

Seat covers over my tearing leather seats.....it worked well for many many years...since at least 2008 or so but I wanted something better...stock looking...

These are what the covers are hiding:

Drivers side:

Passengers side:

and rear:

And the "new" to me seats after cleaning and installed:

Drivers side:

Passengers side:

They cleaned up just fine using super clean, a drill brush, a steamer and a bissell spot cleaner professional. Quite happy.....

Rear seats were a simple r and r.

Passengers side seat I had to swap on my power seat track, swap the two door hinge on as well as swap on my fancy trim bits.

Drivers side took 6 hours to swap over everything.... lol

I ended up using my stock 87 seats upper and lower frame and installing the new to me covers onto them. My lower frame had a bunch of mounting provisions for "cassetter" and fire extinguisher mounts that I did not want to recreate. The upper frame was also straighter...the one from the 89 was bent backwards toward the passengers side of the seat. I also swapped over a thick piece of padding that was under my 87's lower seat foam...I also added some foam to the side of the 89's bolster from the 87 and shaved and glued it into place to help give it some life again on that side just above the power seat controls. Again, I am so happy with how everything turned out.

More pictures in the video below:

Attached Files
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

this is why I'm not a big fan of leather. Still kicking myself for not harvesting those cloth Conti seats years ago when I found a parts car. Stupidly I didn't since the rear seat frame had been bent, didn't even consider that I could simply transfer the cloth over to my frame. They were the correct color and all.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed on the no leather. It just doesn't age well in the 1980+ stuff. Read an article yesterday about a barn find 1960's Continental Limo and they were able to revive the leather. I guess the newer stuff is thinner. It just seems to rip.

David, these look much better. I don't see many Vics with them. It's always great when good parts can go on a good car to continue to be used. I like this way of being green instead of the Prius route.
                  Last edited by Tiggie; 06-20-2021, 09:27 PM.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Your "new" seat look fantastic. Good job cleaning. The seats really refresh the car.

Comment

That swap looks like it went over quite well. Certainly fit the interior nicely. Like the '88-'89 headrests, definitely more usable for comfort and maybe a bit more for safety if anything bad ever did happen.

I'll admit I enjoy leather as both of my cars have them, but maintaining it properly is the biggest thing most folks don't do. They definitely need regular cleaning and conditioning to keep them in good shape.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Agreed on the no leather. It just doesn't age well in the 1980+ stuff. Read an article yesterday about a barn find 1960's Continental Limo and they were able to revive the leather. I guess the newer stuff is thinner. It just seems to rip.
                        I don't know that its so much thinner as that its not good quality. I'm not completely sure its really proper leather in the sense that its the skin of a dead cow. It seems more like a semi-synthetic "pleather". Whatever it is, its awful if not extremely well cared for.

Comment

Seats look great. Again, glad you could save them and find a use for them. I wasn't aware your original seats were in such bad shape. I swore off leather for good around 10 years ago with my 87 Fleetwood. The leather was starting to get crunchy but on top of that, it's always hot and sticky in the summer if you don't have AC (which probably doesn't help the leather not get crunchy... baking at 150 degrees... ).

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yep, I dislike leather too. Have since I was a kid who endured two hour drives with grandparents while passing time by peeling my legs off the leather seats of their '93 Crown Victoria.

Comment

Yeah, I've had to come to terms with leather seats on my Beemer. It's the hottest summer right now and the car and seats are black... Though for leather seats they are definitely not the worst, it seems to breathe just a bit and I'm not too sunken into them.
                              My parents new car's nappa leather seats are absolutely horrible, you get sweaty in 10 minutes.

I feel like there's a difference between newer leather, old leather and old old leather. You folks probably know how leather seats feel in like 60's cars, leather feels thick and not very supple and as if it might be brittle. (box panther leather seems to be in the in this category).
                              Then there's the newer old leather, 90's and so on, Grand Cherokees, big Mercedes, those pillowy, soft and supple leather seats that are really well cushioned.
                              And finally the "new" leather, kinda hard and almost rough feeling, firm seats and so on.

You went with your old armrests (covers?), any reason? Those armrests from slack's seats looked fine to me. Or are the armrests hard to remove from the top part fo the seat frame you mentioned?
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Speaking only from a USA perspective. The EPA changed the way leather was processed. Less toxic chemicals have to be used. The standards defining what "leather is" has changed. If you are sweating on leather seats, it is not real leather. Bonded leather which are leather scraps mixed in with vinyl is the cheapest leather available and widely used. It should not be called leather. It is crap, does not last long and cracks. The underbelly of the cow is the best hide and most expensive. The other parts of the hide are tougher. Hides that are not even cows are not being used and marketed as "leather" most of that comes from overseas. So the quality due to mass production and how long we keep vehicles has made a difference in accountability with auto manufactures. The prices of leather interiors are not worth the cost for the quality you get.

Comment

Working...
                                X