My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
    Wheel hop is very abusive to your axles. Do you have a magnetic angle finder?
    Yes. I had purchased one when I purchased the control arms in anticipation of having to set pinion angle. For now I will just avoid making axle hop happen.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh Doh! I may have to take remedial reading.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        I am sure a magnetic axle finder is a real thing but my first thought was I would find them on the shelf next to the left hand smoke sifters.

What does a magnetic axle finder do?

Jay
        finds magnetic axles obviously.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Now why didn't I think of that?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well....

Line lock worked great.

No wheel hop whatsoever while doing this burnout.

Not as pressed to mess with pinion angle now. Still curious though why it will do it while rippin in first gear.
            Attached Files
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hey, I know where you did that!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

From a buddy that knows his shit...

"It might not be square.
                Tires will affect it if they're trying to hook/spin/hook.
                SHOCKS?!
                Rear may be trying to "dribble" the tires."

"Cheap street radials?
                Have to treat the car somewhat like a drag car. Plant the tires & keep weight on em"

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Also

"If he over tightened the rear suspension Id expect it to just spin. Sounds like combo of tires (soft sidewall, cushy ride?) & lack of suspension control (shocks)"

Comment

"Tell him to add air to the tires & see if it changes. Maybe 5psi just to test it. If it improves any try a little more. But if they're like BFG radial ta with a max inflation of 35, don't drive it a lot with 45"

Comment

Thats good info. Thanks Jim. And you caught me.

I know Phil (brownmuscle) has already commented on the shocks about two years ago....They were newer even then. lol KYB gas a justs in the rear. Push down on rear bumper and car does not just rebound and stay put...it took a few up and downs to stop.

It could be them.

Tires are Yokohama Avid Envigor High Performance All Seasons 235/60/16. I will look into upping the tire pressure by 5psi and seeing how things go.

If pressure does not fix the dribble (as that is precisely what it feels like) I will look into finding out what my pinion angle should be...do it and then test..if still bad look for bilsteins for the car.

A video of some prior wheel hop to refresh memories:

~David~

Comment

Box Panther back to terrorizing the neighborhood

Comment

Yessir.

Buddy wanted some sound to show his kiddo back at home.

I upped the tire pressure 5psi in each tire to around 36. Seemed to have alleviate a majority of the wheel hop. While moving it was just leaving straight black lines and no hops...could also be a flatter road. More testing needed.
                          ~David~

Comment

I'd forgot what a good small block sounds like. Very nice.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks. I just cant understand how the audio gets a bit messed up when putting it into the editing program from the phones recording. Aside from that slight nuance I am quite pleased with how it sounds in person. What you hear is what I head but with some slight noise.
                              ~David~

Comment

probably something with the audio compression. Tends to make things have a slightly nasal sort of sound.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X