No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More efficient magnets make for smaller motors too. Old ceramic magnets needed to be fairly massive compared to say a neodymium or samarium cobalt to get the same magnetic strength.

Looking in the 86 Towncar manual, there is a "deck lid anti-theft switch". I wonder if thats what the extra two contacts are used for. Those only got used on cars with a factory security system.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      More efficient magnets make for smaller motors too. Old ceramic magnets needed to be fairly massive compared to say a neodymium or samarium cobalt to get the same magnetic strength.

Looking in the 86 Towncar manual, there is a "deck lid anti-theft switch". I wonder if thats what the extra two contacts are used for. Those only got used on cars with a factory security system.
      I want to say my '97 Town Car uses the extra terminals. I know the muncher is identical. It does have the factory alarm system. It has been a long time since I messed with the trunk muncher, the original one died years back so I retracted the latch and unplugged it so that the trunk would operate like a normal trunklid. Then after my buddy wrecked his Town Car, I took the trunk muncher from his car and its been fine. Mine kept getting louder and louder, and slower and slower, until eventually it would take upwards of a minute to pull the trunk closed and the motor would get HOT, which is when I disabled it.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

It may also be used for the "trunk ajar" light on digital dash cars. Don't know if the later ones had that or not.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I also have at least one of those latch switches (lid side).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It may also be used for the "trunk ajar" light on digital dash cars. Don't know if the later ones had that or not.
            IIRC that is triggered by the switch on the latch on the lid. I want to say I tried it and the trunk light and "trunk ajar" warning light were both tied into the switch on the latch. It has been awhile since I paid any attention.
            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

the lights used to work off a tilt switch, no idea if thats what ran the trunk ajar or not. I don't own one with that arrangement so I've never been forced to figure it out. I also don't know if it changed on the newfangled stuff.

Comment

A while back I slapped on the underdrive pulley from ASP.

You can see the under drive pulley is mega small when compared to the stock one.

AC belt used: Gates 060532 Fits perfect.

Alt belt used: 5060485. Fits MEGA ULTRA TIGHT. Want to pick up a 5060490. That should do it.

I have a mustang 95 3g alt on the car, that may be the reason for the super tight fit.

Car revs like boss. Have not driven it around yet. Had it running at idle for well over an hour and all is normal. Seems successful.

Next task is the front big brake rotor splash shield install.

Also purchased rear disc brake splash shields. Those will be fun to put in I am sure......
                Attached Files
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

forgot to mention, my 3G has the smaller 2G pulley on it. Its not a big difference in size but its probably enough to make a difference. Might be worth doing now that you've got the underdrive, it will slightly boost idle charging performance since it will speed up the alternator a tad.

Comment

forgot to mention, my 3G has the smaller 2G pulley on it. Its not a big difference in size but its probably enough to make a difference. Might be worth doing now that you've got the underdrive, it will slightly boost idle charging performance since it will speed up the alternator a tad.
                    Yes. I figured the alternator pulley was the factor at hand here. Though the voltmeter was still around high 13's during that hour long idle test it certainly cannot hurt swapping to a smaller/stock sized one.

I no longer have the stock alternator (to my knowledge) so it has been added to the JY parts run list. Any idea what socket size is needed for the pulley removal. Zipping it right off at the yard is the way to go.

I literally had to remove the alternator completely and somehow walk the belt and alternator on at the same time. I was PISSED. Plus no local store had the 5060490 i would have needed so it was my only option. I was not considering swapping the stock crank pulley back on!
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

15/16" The MegaMerc did not give satisfactory voltage after the 3g w/stock crank pully. I swapped a smaller pulley from a 2g and it became happy.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Also, some pulleys have a spacer, be sure to capture it.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

15/16" socket indeed for that nut. And keep in mind there are at least two 2G pulley sizes, one as small as 1-7/8" IIRC. What sucks is the Panther belt routing has shit for belt wrap around the alt and PS pump, makes it super easy for that belt to slip. Someone needs to figure out how to add an idler pulley between the alt and pump, that will greatly improve the situation.
                          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yeah the tendency for the belt to scream unless its stupid tight is annoying.

Comment

Im good. Stupid tight here currently!

Got the front disc brake splash shields on. Went super easy. Only the passengers side had the three rivets left for me to remove. No biggie. Looks good.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-17-2017, 03:24 PM.
                              ~David~

Comment

Some last pictures from the passengers side install:

Super nice mini spare tire cover I got at the yards. Fits much cleaner than the full size spare cover I was using:

And some from the crank pulley install:

And the pretty outside:

Attached Files
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X