PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 134 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 4752

Thread: My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

  1. #2661
    I post a lot... pantera77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    Nice work Dave. That box is a lot stiffer isn't it? Every time I go to drive the 89 compared to my other cars I'm like "holy crap".

  2. #2662
    I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    38,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I got the big addco 1 1/4" bar...I also didn't want to fight around it or mess up the coating on it. Figured it would just be simpler to get it out the way.
    Ah. Old rusty wagon bar on mine. Not much concern about the cosmetics of that thing.,

    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

    91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

    1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

    Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

  3. #2663
    I post a lot...
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Nice install, let us know your thoughts once you get some seat time.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

  4. #2664
    The Brown Blob 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    18,767

    Default

    Seat time was today after the wet/misty weather passed.

    Took it out an within a few blocks I realized that the steering wheel was off center. I remember hearing about this from another member.Mine was at the 11 o'clock position coincidentally so was his...

    So I turned around and headed home. Got out the toe plates and proceeded to get my steering wheel centered. Took a couple times to get it right. 5 times for me to be exact. After each try I take the car for a spin and see whats up. I loosen the adjusting sleeved and make sure the wheels turn in the direction of where the steering wheel is wrongly pointing. This gets your steering wheel centered and when you do each side (adjusting sleeves) evenly your toe goes unaltered.

    I then took the car out for a speed run. I felt a helluva lot more confident with this nice stiff steering box than I did with the stock one. I say if you like going fast around long curvy roads that this is a must. Nice response/feedback from the wheel. It is like there is just enough resistance to help you stay in control and turn the wheel only as much as you need to. With the stock box it is very easy to turn it to quickly, this new box eliminates that problem.

    Another nice thing about the mod is that if you are on the go pedal while hitting a rough patch of road you no longer sway back and forth because of your body being thrown around. The steering has enough stiffness to eliminate that problem almost entirely. I know with the stock box and me making turns spiritedly that I would normally have the car going wherever my arms were being tossed from the road. Now all gone.

    I like it. I have already become used to the stiffer steering and it is not much of an annoyance on simple turns around town.
    ~David~

    My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

  5. #2665
    Do a burnout, pussy. Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Granby, CT
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Seat time was today after the wet/misty weather passed.

    Took it out an within a few blocks I realized that the steering wheel was off center. I remember hearing about this from another member.Mine was at the 11 o'clock position coincidentally so was his...

    So I turned around and headed home. Got out the toe plates and proceeded to get my steering wheel centered. Took a couple times to get it right. 5 times for me to be exact. After each try I take the car for a spin and see whats up. I loosen the adjusting sleeved and make sure the wheels turn in the direction of where the steering wheel is wrongly pointing. This gets your steering wheel centered and when you do each side (adjusting sleeves) evenly your toe goes unaltered.

    I then took the car out for a speed run. I felt a helluva lot more confident with this nice stiff steering box than I did with the stock one. I say if you like going fast around long curvy roads that this is a must. Nice response/feedback from the wheel. It is like there is just enough resistance to help you stay in control and turn the wheel only as much as you need to. With the stock box it is very easy to turn it to quickly, this new box eliminates that problem.

    Another nice thing about the mod is that if you are on the go pedal while hitting a rough patch of road you no longer sway back and forth because of your body being thrown around. The steering has enough stiffness to eliminate that problem almost entirely. I know with the stock box and me making turns spiritedly that I would normally have the car going wherever my arms were being tossed from the road. Now all gone.

    I like it. I have already become used to the stiffer steering and it is not much of an annoyance on simple turns around town.

    Yeah, it's like night and day when I get in my box compared to my whale.. They box you can steer with a pinky while as the whale you have to muscle it around. Well and the fact that I think my power steering is on its way out on the whale.
    __________________________________________________


    1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

    That is how you're supposed to jack it.

    Up and down.

    -ryan s.

  6. #2666
    The Brown Blob 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    18,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Clean install, might I ask what the reason was for doing this? Firmer steering? Or..
    Thanks Logan. Yes. And boredom and just because it can be done but mainly for the tighter steering.

    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Nice work Dave. That box is a lot stiffer isn't it? Every time I go to drive the 89 compared to my other cars I'm like "holy crap".
    Thanks. Yep. First time I moved it I was shocked at how heavy it was.

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Ah. Old rusty wagon bar on mine. Not much concern about the cosmetics of that thing.,
    I am pretty paranoid about keeping nice looking things nice looking.
    ~David~

    My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

  7. #2667
    I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    38,225

    Default

    The old box had enough slop in it that I expect you'd have gotten noticeable improvements just from a fresh one. I like the stiffer steering too though, with most of the same reasons why. The hyper-sensitive steering really sucks if you sneeze at speed. I've nearly run people off the road from that before.

    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

    91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

    1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

    Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

  8. #2668
    Beater gonna beat sly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    21,254

    Default

    I typically let go of the wheel for that split second just so I don't swerve... or jab my elbow into the armrest on the door as I sneeze.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

  9. #2669
    Do a burnout, pussy. Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Granby, CT
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    I may look into doing this.. I somewhat prefer my dead weight steering on the whale.
    __________________________________________________


    1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

    That is how you're supposed to jack it.

    Up and down.

    -ryan s.

  10. #2670
    Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dirty Jersey Yo!
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    That was the second repair made to my CV. Though I replaced mine with a stock steering box. It was not long after that I noticed the hyper sensitive steering. I didn't know at the time that the old box was that worn out. I attributed it to an aged suspension that would cause the CV to wander on the highway. In any event, after I changed the front suspension, all that went away.


    Packman

  11. #2671
    The Brown Blob 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    18,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I may look into doing this.. I somewhat prefer my dead weight steering on the whale.
    I have no idea how this stiff steering box would compare to the rack and pinion steering feel of the Whales...Whales do have racks right???
    ~David~

    My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

  12. #2672
    Do a burnout, pussy. Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Granby, CT
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I have no idea how this stiff steering box would compare to the rack and pinion steering feel of the Whales...Whales do have racks right???
    Indeed, I enjoy the stiffness when cruising but when backing into a spot or something alike; it gets old. Though I do believe my power steering is screwed up a bit. :shrug:
    __________________________________________________


    1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

    That is how you're supposed to jack it.

    Up and down.

    -ryan s.

  13. #2673
    The Brown Blob 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    18,767

    Default

    You just need to work up muscle. Last time I seen ya you were skin and bones. lol
    ~David~

    My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

  14. #2674
    I post a lot...
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    03+ is rack and pinion, definitely stiffer than a stock box with a better on center feel.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

  15. #2675
    Do a burnout, pussy. Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Granby, CT
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    You just need to work up muscle. Last time I seen ya you were skin and bones. lol
    I'll show you, you - me Scottfest.

    But on the realistic side, my dad even drove the car before I had my license and was freaking out because it "Had no power steering"
    __________________________________________________


    1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

    That is how you're supposed to jack it.

    Up and down.

    -ryan s.

  16. #2676
    I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    38,225

    Default

    The rack and peanut is stiffer than pinky steer, but a lot more vague feeling. They don't self-center worth a damn and the turn radius is increased over the steering box setup. Personally I very much dislike how it feels. The late CVPI steering box is much more positive feeling.

    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

    91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

    1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

    Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

  17. #2677
    Do a burnout, pussy. Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Granby, CT
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The rack and peanut is stiffer than pinky steer, but a lot more vague feeling. They don't self-center worth a damn and the turn radius is increased over the steering box setup. Personally I very much dislike how it feels. The late CVPI steering box is much more positive feeling.
    Late model CVPI wooo!
    The lacking all luxury options isn't fun though. I guess I'm lucky I got one with a power drivers seat.. High options, lol.
    and a few electrical problems.
    __________________________________________________


    1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

    That is how you're supposed to jack it.

    Up and down.

    -ryan s.

  18. #2678
    Do a burnout, pussy. Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    West Granby, CT
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    So I had some police dash gauges given to me from my dads friend to happened to have them just laying around for the past 30 years and didn't know what they were..

    How did you go about mounting them? Did you cut the dash for the wiring and bolt the gauges in? Any pictures of that err?
    __________________________________________________


    1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

    That is how you're supposed to jack it.

    Up and down.

    -ryan s.

  19. #2679
    The Brown Blob 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    18,767

    Default

    What style do you have? The 88-89 plastic one or the metal, 87 and down one?

    I installed both into my car years back.

    I cut a hole in the panel and relocated the auto climate sensor and siliconed in the 88-89 style. Then I picked up the metal 87 and down one and screwed that one in.

    You have to cut up the dash behind for them to fit.

    Here is my first install:

    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...uipped-vehicle


    Currently:

    ~David~

    My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

  20. #2680
    The Brown Blob 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    18,767

    Default

    Getting the old gal ready for another year at SF tomorrow. Hope the weather stays perty so she can stay all perty for the event.
    ~David~

    My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 134 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
GMN Approved Links!


www.rockauto.com www.adtr.net