No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW I have a Milwaukee m12 ratchet wrench and it makes tearing apart the interior a breeze. 3/8 drive and I have a neato adapter that goes from 3/8 to bit driver so I can pop a phillips bit and undo interior fasteners like nobodies business. Just break the bolt loose and the tool does all of the work for you after that.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

that sucks. Odd not find anything running down the firewall, and extra odd for it to be on the driver's side. Usually the leaks are on the other side from the air intake or something else in the HVAC. I've had water in the ECM connector before. I suppose it might be possible to run around the ECM and into the car. If it ran down the ECM case, it would drip onto the flat part of the floor pan, not down the firewall.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Have you done any work lately that required anything removed and/or drilling of the firewall (from inside the engine compartment)? When I replaced the heater core in the Malibu, it came out from the engine compartment. I put everything back together and rtv'd it back up. I must have missed a spot because after the first rain storm, my floor was sopping wet. I flooded the fire wall seams with more rtv and it went away.

Also, my CV (maybe yours) has what I call an abyss in the center of the cowl area. A few years ago, it filled up with crud. I could only get a little of the vacuum hose in there. Whatever that hole is for (drainage?), perhaps it's backed up and leaking through the firewall? I know when I switch hoods, I will get in there to fully vacuum it out.

Packman

Comment

No work anywhere around there recently. I will look into water potentially entering around the ecm area. It is certainly weird to say the least. It is just the foot well area wet and nothing up the firewall. Granted the weather was a bit warmer here the other day and maybe the water that settled thawed out...I don't know what to say/think. When I feel up to it I will hop into the car and shut the door. Hopefully pops will make in rain on her and I can find water dribbling inside...hopefully in an accessible area that will be easily remedied.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Good luck with that. I have yet to find the source of the water entry on my '92. I caulked all the usual places, including that pesky A/C drain area. It stopped for awhile, but now it leaks again with a hard rain, or going thru the car wash. I gave up several months ago and drilled two 1/8" holes in the floor. Still gets wet, but it doesn't puddle.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I think it's possible that the water on the floor on the driver side only could come from ice/snow tracked into the car then melting/accumulating over time. Probably happens every winter but you may not have noticed it where you weren't working around that area before at the right time of year. Maybe. I'd still check for leaks by running a hose all over the floor pan/firewall working up towards the windshield. Have an assistant stay in the car watching carefully and once water starts coming, note where the leak is and presto! Fix the leak and you're good to go.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                  Good luck with that. I have yet to find the source of the water entry on my '92. I caulked all the usual places, including that pesky A/C drain area. It stopped for awhile, but now it leaks again with a hard rain, or going thru the car wash. I gave up several months ago and drilled two 1/8" holes in the floor. Still gets wet, but it doesn't puddle.
                  check the rear door seals for damage.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

The back floorboard is dry. just the front passenger floor. I've seen water running down the firewall. It's up there somewhere.

I'll fix it in the spring.
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                      I think it's possible that the water on the floor on the driver side only could come from ice/snow tracked into the car then melting/accumulating over time. .
                      This car goes absolutely nowhere in winter. lol
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        This car goes absolutely nowhere in winter. lol
                        It doesn't have to. But if you get in and out with snow, water, ice, etc on your boots, it could be enough to cause wetness on the floor and in the carpet once it warms up and melts. Unless you have it inside, in which case I am rightly rebutted. I do find the method I described for finding leaks to work extremely well, I hope you get it straightened out. I would hate to read a post by you later on saying that your floor pans are getting rusty in that minty tudor!
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Consider getting a cheap ($17.99 w/coupon) Harbor Freight silver poly tarp to add another layer over your car cover. I've had nice success with these over the years with my outdoor stored cars. I checked both my Towncar and P72 the other day that are covered with this tarp over cheap Budge car covers and both have dry interiors/floors. The key though is making sure that you keep the snow brushed off and not allow it to melt and puddle up.

Comment

Car is not under a cover this year as the car gets to stay in the back yard. Cover was simply to protect it from all of the salt and road grime that accumulates on the cars during winter. It is safe from all of that in the back yard.

I'll tell you again...this car goes nowhere and I go nowhere inside it during snow. That is not what is causing my issues here. I plan to run a hose over her while inside to see if I can pinpoint where it may be coming from.

Right now she sits with the windows open and firewall mat peeled away and a fan blowing around to dry and dry that stuff up.
                            ~David~

Comment

I would not let a car sit out in the winter elements. I agree with the poly tarp Put it over your regular car cover. Winter is just as bad as summer.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

possable water leaks on driver side might be throttle cable,brake booster bolts loose,ecm gasket?,steering colum,parking brake cable and also check around windsheild mouldings sometimes the sealent is dry rotted.check all seam sealer on cowl that might be dry rotted also

Comment

Working...
                                X