My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange = Fail.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Depends on the color of the car. I will be painting whate4ver engine I put into Putter Project Orange because it goes better with brown than any other color except black. Bright blue engine in a brown car; okay maybe. But to each his own.

Comment

Looks good Dave...I must be the oddball here, I don't mind orange, and I LOVE burnt orange...
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Thanks. I enjoy burnt orange myself.

Only the block and the water pump will be blue. Heads will be polished aluminum. Timing cover, upper and lower intake will be engine aluminum painted. Valve cover are wrinkle black. Spark plug wire holders I have will be engine aluminum painted (they are the ones already installed on the engine that run along the valve covers). EGR space is low gloss black and throttle body is engine aluminum painted. A bunch of neato colors...
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oldsmobile gold engine paint in a brown car = win.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Oldsmobile gold engine paint in a brown car = win.
              I've got some gold engine paint laying around....

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                oldsmobile gold engine paint in a brown car = win.
                yes!!!!!

Comment

Beat the snot out of the car today on my ride. Its nice knowing a new engine is one the way..makes you more courageous in pushing the limits of the old one. Multiple pulls up to 100+ mph resulting in tach readings close to and above 5grand. The 3.73's don't help keeping the rpms down but they sure do help get her up to speed quickly. Not sure how happy the engine is when it revs that high. Sounds like the valves are floating but whatever. lol Finished the ride off with a couple nice brake stands. I love a smoke show.

Gonna prep the timing cover for paint this week. Updates to come.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I was going to do that with the 5.0L in the CV, but I will just take it easy until the day I pull that engine. It may live again in the Ranger as my 4.0L is getting the crap kicked out of it with commuting. The bearing knock is louder than the 5.0L in the CV. LOL

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Went out this morning for a nice drive. TO get out of the back yard I have to wiggle the car around a lot and today the steering was really knocking clunking ever so slightly from left to right at idle. Once on the road though all is well and you rarely feel the knock in the steering.

The knock is like a loose point in the steering. I thought it was the u joint in the steering shaft so after the drive I took out the shaft and much to my surprise it was tight tight tight. Well damn.

While it was out though I strengthened up my modified coupler to the PI box by welding the washers to the coupler that attach through the rag joint to ensure I was not getting any play from that. I also cut a piece of metal off of the heat shield that may have been interfering with the steering shaft. I took some pics of the before so others can see how I cobbled together the newer coupler/input shaft to the stock box shaft.

Next drive out I will see if I fixed anything or I have to dig further and into other items.

Here are the pics of the modified steering shaft:

For anyone following this I have seemed to fix the minor clunk/knock the steering had when ever so slightly rocking the wheel back and forth. It must have been in the modified rag joint because after my last once over of it where I trimmed some of the heat shield and tacking the washer onto the lower shaft all is nice and solid. Happy to have found the issue. Amazing how one can feel some slight metal to metal contact through a rubber rag joint all the way up the steering column and into the steering wheel!
                      ~David~

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Another parts order placed.
                          • efi engine lift plate
                          • 3 core police radiator
                          • proper upper hose
                          • lower hose
                          • smog delete belt
                          • new engine mounts...just to paint them as I already have new ones installed
                          • felpro tranny pan gasket

Planning on painting the timing cover tomorrow morning. Prepped it for paint yesterday.
                          ~David~

Comment

Timing cover painted

ON your mark: Prepped

Ready: Primed

Set: Based

Go: Cleared

And the finish:

1st place!

Color is rustoleum aluminum engine enamel.
                            ~David~

Comment

Funny, I got this DuPont Chrome spray paint that I used on the Ranger throttle body and power sterring pump. It takes some heat to get that stuff to harden onto the surface. So I figured I would put some clear over the spray chrome for the accessory brackets on the CV. It turned it into a gray silver. I was bummed at first, but then I realized that it matched the intake that way; and the chrome woulda clashed. LOL

Point is, your clear coating remained silver-like without the gray. Good job

Comment

Received my three core rad and other bits the past day.

Note that the 3 core has 3inch tanks...All of the brackets I pulled from the yard years ago don't fit (no idea what I pulled them from but one seems to be about 2.5" and the other 3.5"). Any idea what car I need to pull the 3 inch tanks hold downs from?

~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X