No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah yeah yeah I don;t have them anymore.

In other news...

boo ya. Hope I have enough this time around.......Gonna look fucking KICKASS. Shit load of work to do it though.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Caps will look great. .. I see you have raided the craft store. Lots of detail work there.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

how much of that highlight stuff do you have? Yikes, one pen did my whole rear reflector with plenty to spare.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          how much of that highlight stuff do you have? Yikes, one pen did my whole rear reflector with plenty to spare.
          EBAY sells them in a group of 12 so.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I had three medium points originally and figured it would do everything fine. They ran out really quick on me. I don't know it the angle I am using them in is effecting the paint flow but they don't last.

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            EBAY sells them in a group of 12 so.....
            Yep. I first picked up three medium and three fine. Now I moved up since I severely underestimated what I needed the first go around.

Tested the center cap out. Fits great.

Before:

Comparing the two:

And after:

It was worth the expense. They will look fantastic. Gonna give the centercaps a cleaning and a coat of wheel wax before they get permanently installed.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Caps look awesome, little touches add up.
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Thanks. The latest little touch can be seen below....

Continued on with the bumper stripes today. This was around a 4hr job......

I carefully masked everything off one line at a time. I'd do a bottom line then a top. I didn't want to get tape on fresh paint so I waited till all was dry to proceed.

Here are some in progress pics:

My priming pad:

And some completed pics...

Masking off helped tremendously getting nice sharp lines on the horizontal bumper pieces. On the bumperettes some paint got under the tape and made the lines a bit fuzzy but all in all a very nice job.

When all was said and done I ended up using about 5 medium point paint sharpies and 1 fine point.

What is in the box is basically what I have left.

Turns out I was not using the sharpies correctly. I was using them with horizontal strokes and it seemed to work a hell of a lot better with short vertical strokes.

Some extras I will give to anyone (1 per person) with some worn down interior trim at Scottfest this year. They will do wonders in freshening up an interior.

Lastly Thanks Zach for the idea..
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM.
                ~David~

Comment

I ordered one for the interior of my '87. Just a few spots to touch up on the IP bezels so we'll see when I get the pen and am up to doing it!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

ah, I see what you were doing. I was thinking you were just doing the tail lamp lenses, and I thought WTF, they aren't that big.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks great Dave! Those little touches really set the car off.

I've been using the same ancient, crushed, ran over silver paint pen forever, and it still somehow works.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

those are just standard silver sharpies, right? I've been meaning to do the dash trim for a while.

Looks cool. I didn't realize until a couple weeks ago that that treatment was at least optional on earlier cars.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Excellent job with the trim. The center caps are also a big improvement. A sharpie job wouldn't be for me. It would be a mess as I have tremors in my hands.

Comment

Those are Sharpie paint markers , much more robust than a standard silver Sharpie marker

Nice touch, reminds me of the Mark VI Signature Series trim.
                            Past Panthers

Comment

ah, I see what you were doing. I was thinking you were just doing the tail lamp lenses, and I thought WTF, they aren't that big.
                              Yeah. I still picked up too many anyways. The first three I used actually were still good. I was not priming them enough and I was not using the pen properly. I was trying long horizontal strokes whereas it worked a million times better with short and quick vertical strokes.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Looks great Dave! Those little touches really set the car off.

I've been using the same ancient, crushed, ran over silver paint pen forever, and it still somehow works.
                              It really does set the car off.

I had a testors paint pen that my dad got used from his friend and then he used it then I started to use it. I touched up the entire interior of the car as well as the stock taillamps with the horizontal bars and then it started to die. It really lasted a LONG time.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              those are just standard silver sharpies, right? I've been meaning to do the dash trim for a while.

Looks cool. I didn't realize until a couple weeks ago that that treatment was at least optional on earlier cars.
                              The ones I am using are oil based paint pens. I don't know if the sharpie will adhere enough on the interior trim. I always used paint pens for that.

My father who has been a ford mechanic since the 80s didn;t know that some cars got this treatment either.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              Excellent job with the trim. The center caps are also a big improvement. A sharpie job wouldn't be for me. It would be a mess as I have tremors in my hands.
                              Thanks!

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                              Those are Sharpie paint markers , much more robust than a standard silver Sharpie marker

Nice touch, reminds me of the Mark VI Signature Series trim.
                              Thank you.
                              ~David~

Comment

Fender prep

Current fenders turned to junk over the past few years...

Anyways I pulled fenders for the car a few years back. One came from a minty 88+ grand marquis while the other came from a minty Crown Victoria.

The passengers side one is the grand marquis' That is the one I started working on first. You can see below what I had to do....

Those holes and pegs are not used for Crown Victoria trim so I had to break out the welder...

I backed the holes I had to weld with a copper plate

Yay Not holy anymore.

I then whipped up some duraglass short strand fiberglass filler and gave the weld areas a quick wipe down.

I also treated any rusty spots with Eastwoods Rust converter....

Next was seam sealing the back side of the weld...

And prepping the back side for Eastwoods Rust encapsulator...

Encapsulated.

Tomorrow I will block out the fiberglass filler and go over the area with some lightweight filler. I intend to prep the rest of the fender for primer as well. We'll see.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X